The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

How early to learn riding switch?

Hi every one. Havent been skating for too long but i can ride around and im starting to get better at olling and i was wondering how early should i start to learn how to ride switch? Will it be better for me to start now or wait till ive learnt a few tricks reguarly then learn how i have no idea. Thanks to anyone for answers and great forum

Never too early. The sooner the better I think. It will make it feel more comfortable later down the track.

Welcome to Boardworld, Rileyb1. cool smile

I agree with Koper, it’s never too early to learn. The earlier the better.

Hey rider and koper thanks for the answers ill start learning soon. Do you guys know of any cheap online skate shops or of any cheap skate shops in melbourne dont need a new board quite yet but i will soon.

What do you consider as cheap? http://au.24skateboards.com/shop do decks for $45, can’t imagine you’ll find many decks (that are actually decent) for less. I haven’t skated one myself, but a few other guys on BW have and they’ve given some positive feedback.

Im more looking for somewhere to get things a bit cheaper than i would at SDS or ozmosis as they are the only shops any where near me that sell skateboard stuff. And i know they dont have much and are pretty expensive. Any recomendations?

Hey Rileyb1.

With learning to skate switch, when you are feeling comfortable on the board in your natural stance. Try switch. Reason being when you start learning to do tricks that involve a 180 you will be far more comfortable landing them and rolling away, than if you hadn’t learnt to roll switch.

In terms of getting a new deck, unfortunately good skate shops have become a thing that is few and far between.

The 24 decks seem good and are a good price, also offer a crazy 1 year warranty on breakages.
Folklore do some good decks at I think $59.95 with jessup griptape. Go for the cold press ones though if you do they are better boards I find.
Manton skateboards also offer some cheap decks or slightly more expensive deck that is stupid strong and durable.

I hope these have helped.

P.S. I stop respecting SDS for their skate stuff when they sacrifised the space dedicated to them for things that made them profit and no longer employed skaters for skate sections.

Thanks CJ Parker looked at the manton boards they look good. What about trucks im thinking about independents. And also how long will wheels last if i get good ones for like $50.

If you’re looking at getting a full setup, I’d consider getting a Manton SAF complete. $160, is really good value. I think the deck, trucks and bearings look really solid, only thing is that the wheels are a bit small for my liking, but that’s just my preference.

I’ve had the same trucks wheels and bearings for almost 2 years now. Venture trucks, Spitfire wheels, Modus bearings, and they’ve been going strong so I’ve never bothered to try anything different.

If my girlfriend didn’t get me a new deck for xmas, I would have probably bought a Manton SAF complete for $160 vs a new deck for $80-$100 to check them out.

When it comes to wheels they can last as long as the way you skate them really. If you are doing loads of powerslides/cess slides or blunts and lips on ledges you can generally kiss your wheels goodbye in a short time frame. Wheels have changed so much in price now also that you can get some good ones for $50. Bones 100’s are definitely some good wheels for the price.

My last set of Independent trucks where the stage 9. Wasn’t happy with them to be honest, I had been skating Independent for years before hand and just found that model was poorly made. The newer forge models though I haven’t skate but they seem alright. The Manton trucks/ SAF completes look really good especially for the price. I also like the Destructo D2 trucks.

Is it better for me to spend a bit more and pick my own parts or go for the manton SAF complete. Boardshop has stage 10 independents for just over $70 and if i were to get a deck and some wheels it would come to about $240 dont mind the extra bit of money if the trucks ,bearings and wheels will last longer and be better?

The website recomends the independents saying they are the best brand and are i dont think just trying to take your money because there are trucks on their site worth a fair bit more. Plus i like the look of the anodised trucks for the same price. For the deck im thinking either a girl or enjoi deck because i like the graffics on them. Im not really sure on decks as ive only ever riden one which is a zooyork complete.

sorry if this is too long or in the wrong section but i have no idea

The color trucks will always look completely different after a few skates so I wouldn’t worry to much about that. The reason why the Manton SAF setup is cheaper is because it is done through Manton itself. The trucks are done through the same factory that does Theeve and Destructo. Deck wise the strength and pop is suppose to be really good. Mitch Faber who is on BW, that is a monster at breaking boards seem to be lasting on them.

When it comes to decks never be swayed by graphics, as they disappear and sometimes all you are left with is a dodgy deck.

Zoo York decks if I remember correctly are pressed by Chapman skateboards, so generally really good decks. Girl I am not a fan as their quality doesn’t seem to there anymore. Enjoi do some good shapes but can be pricey sometimes.

I hope this has given you some more insight.

Hi Riley,

Welcome to BW. Sorry havent had a chance to read through all the responses and discussion on here so sorry if I repeat stuff already said. But to answer your original question, the earlier you start learning switch stuff the easier it will be in the long run. It wont feel so unatural or different to your regular riding if you work on them both at the same time.

In regards to Melbourne shops, Fast Times (CBD, Fountaingate and Frankston) are your best store. Not the cheapest, but they give great service and usually give good deals with combos. They know their shit.

Online purchases both 24 Skateboards and Manton are the shit when it comes to awesome Australian brands. I have been riding 24 since i have started skating again and love their boards. Heard good things bout Manton too. BW skate coach Mitch Faber skates their stuff so must be good cos he shreds and destroys!

STM Online is a BW supported store and they have always looked after members. You can score some good gear cheap and they shit to Melbourne really quick from Bondi.
Another good one is Boardsupplyco. Melbourne based online store and dont have the bigget selection but have good sales and deals.

OK guys thanks will probably get a manton if every thing ob there is as good as buying seperate just dont want to get it because its a good deck then replace the trucks and wheels shortly after because i want better stuff. And thanks for the info on fast times its not hard to get to from home only a train. Plus is it alright to street skate in melbourne like will i get fined for grinding on things or jumping off of stuff.

Melbourne is pretty supportive of skating. Most of the time you will get moved on if nothing else.

Yeh if it’s private buildings usually I can skate for a bit a then security asks u Ti move on. Head up to Lincoln Square on the north end of Swanston St. Lots of flat ground, manual pads, ledges, slapping gutters and stairs to play with. Always heaps of skaters there and it’s ok to skate there