The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

drc13 - Japan 2013 Video Edit

Hey Guys

Here’s my edit from my recent trip to Japan. Footage was recorded at Myoko Kogen and Nozawa Onsen.

Please keep in mind this was my first time riding in pow and trees so there won’t be any Gamblor style excitement grrr 

Hopefully it gives you a taste of the stoke though!

Enjoy.  shaka

Sweet!!  Great footage

Very nice, mate.  A couple of Q’s; what lenses did you have in your gogs, and I notice a cam mount on your helmet - why no footage from that?

Awesome vid!
Really enjoyed watching it! You’re riding really well too, Dave!
I showed my housemate who’s going to be in Nozawa Onsen in a couple weeks.

That was great DRC!

Mud I think that mount is for a GoPro which he didn’t take? Drift don’t have that mount (as far as I know)

Okay hang on where did i see it was shot on a drift… am I imagine things???

Yeah pretty sure Dave rocks a Drift, didn’t realise the mount was GoPro.

Thanks for the nice comments, glad my riding didn’t let down the amazing conditions!

Mudhoney - 06 February 2013 10:28 AM

Very nice, mate.  A couple of Q’s; what lenses did you have in your gogs, and I notice a cam mount on your helmet - why no footage from that?

To answer the camera mount question. Yes that is a drift sticky curved mount on my helmet. I did take some limited helmet cam footage but it got left on the cutting room floor (along with hours of other footage) as it just never looks as clear or gives as much perspective of what’s going on compared to the pole footage. Some chase cam (pole in rear hand) came out nicely and gave a different perspective but it was mainly quicker groomed runs that I filmed in that mode.

I have to say I still find it pretty tricky to ride holding the pole though. I don’t actually have any footage of the trickier runs I did later in the week as I just wasn’t confident enough doing the two things at once.

As for the goggles. I wore two different pairs while in Japan. I had Smith IO’s with the Sensor Mirror Lens. This is an amazing lens but I hate to say I don’t think the goggles are the best fit. I started to notice it when the pow/wind started flying and my eyes suffered. The other goggles are Dragon Rogues with the pink ion lens. The lens isn’t as good as the Smith lens but the fit is just about perfect.

The one on the top of his helmet?

Drift mount from the side. well the standard mounts that come with it are side on so stick to the side of you helmet or through you google.

i am not a massive fan of the side mount as a camera angle as you can see you google. But it is handy when you want to switch it on and forget about it rather then a pole get in the way way of your riding when you are takign vid for some muppets you know… wink

You put the cam on the top dave? hmmmm so you rotate the lens? Or am I missing something??  (although I am not a fan of that either! LOL )

ozgirl - 06 February 2013 11:19 AM

You put the cam on the top dave? hmmmm so you rotate the lens? Or am I missing something??  (although I am not a fan of that either! LOL )

Yep and rotate the lens. I’ve tried all sorts of helmet mounts with the drift (side of head) which I didn’t like as it made my helmet feel heavy on one side, 3/4 up the side and finally on top. On top was by far the comfiest position and the filming angle didn’t really suffer especially with the rotatable lens. Having said that I’m really not a fan of helmet cam footage it’s kind of dull (walls of white) unless you have mates shredding just in front of you.

drc13 - 06 February 2013 11:21 AM

I’m really not a fan of helmet cam footage it’s kind of dull (walls of white) unless you have mates shredding just in front of you.

I agree! maybe that is why I am not keen to edit mine hahaha!

And when your in trees your mates are usually too far in front of you (well the distance I leave anyway!)

Nice vid, awesome riding shaka

Dave, you really have improved so much man ...

congratz and great video ...

Yewwwwwww sick cheese

Nice stuff mate!!!!! shaka