The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Sportscameras / Wearable Cameras / Helmetcams / POV’s

So many names due so many uses. We call them sportscameras due to their use in sports (d’oh, haha). the original name was simply “POV” (Point of View) as they see from the athletes’ eye view when rigged in the same viewing direction, but this fell into less use when VIO named their cam “VIO POV” and POV became an abbreviation for that particular camera. the term ‘wearable’ cameras is a good one, though often they are not put on your person, but mounted to equipment.
whatever you call them they’re fun and a great way to record your adventures and those of your crazy mates (no dis to anyone’s mates who manage to be sane, just that all mine are bloody crazy)

Spaz made a comment in another thread which brought me to thinking about opening a discussion thread on the entire range of these cams:

spaz - 17 September 2010 11:40 PM

Lots of new generation wearable cams have been released this year with new companies entering the market. The choice of which to buy can be difficult.

I wonder what the companies who have been leading this market are planning to maintain their share of sales. (VholdR, VIO, GoPro)

VIO haven’t updated the POV (except for firmware and price reduction) since it’s release 5 years ago. wink

Were as GoPro and VholdR have put out different models to fit different budgets, uses and sales pitches but with the new ‘players’ equaling their product I wonder what they will do next.

there are indeed a lot of new cams hitting the market at a rapid pace. We carry most of them, not all, as we like to focus on the better quality units 9in total there are a lot out there ( i judt did a quick count and we carry 10 brands at the moment, which doesn;t include individual models under the same brand - like GO Pro HD and Go Pro wide for example)

So bottom line there are heaps to choose from - to the point it can become confusing for someone stepping in fresh.

Just to update on what you wrote Spaz, VIO are bringing out a HD POV (finallyyyy) which is roughly due mid October at this point.

Matching GOPro’s 170 degree angle, Drift have just brought out a cam in HD which is super crisp at the very edges is an example of what other co.‘s are doing to push the market leaders.

Digital magnification is coming onto the scene, I reckon we’ll get actual lens magnifications in the not too distant future.

Screens are being seen more and more. These are a great feature to let you see what you are actually shooting.

Durability is taking a fore with brands like Tachyon developing their cams to be tough enough to take direct paintball hits for example and not loose frames under shock situations

Anyways, hit us up with your thoughts, ideas, questions, whatever and it will open some solid discussions which we’re hoping will help you choose the best cam for you, wherever you get it from.

cheers,
Doc

Hey Doc,

I’m trying to decide between the GoPro HD and Contour HD (or similar).

I like the idea of a wide angle lens. I need it to be waterproof (so we can use for surf also). I also need it to be full HD resolution. We will mainly be using for snowboarding and surfing.

I read an interesting review in TransMoto Magazine, rating all the latest helmet cams. They rated based on picture quality, sound quality, battery life, durability, recording time (size of cards) etc. The GoPro came out on top with a 8.2 score out of 10.

Do you think the GoPro HD is the way to go?

Hey Jeremy,
apols for the delay in reply, been away, but let’s just say V8 offroad buggies are a heap of fun, haha.

We actually supplied Transmoto with all the cameras used in that test and review. We personally didn’t necessarily agree with all their views and it was a big shame they put the vids up at a very low res (supposedly to reduce download rates for viewers or something, but it totally defeated the purpose), but at least it is one of the broader reviews around for the mass number of cameras. I believe we would be open to an Oz snow mag (or site…..) doing the same for next snow season if they wanted to approach us.

The key to your question is WATERPROOF. what this is defined as and the degree varies so much from cam to cam. If you were just using to for snow and not surf, I’d actually point you towards the Drift Hd (full 1080 Hd with 170 degree wide angle lens, screen). It is rated as “waterproof to 0.5m”. to us that is what we call “shower proof” - plenty for snow/mud/splashes, but not for surf.

Contour have put out a waterproof housing for surf , which is rated to 10m. I’ve been testing this housing and I’m totally happy with it in waves to around 4 foot (that’s Hawaiian style measure which is rating the wave as half the face size, so in rough translation, a 4 foot wave will have an 8 foot face). I was out in bigger surf the other day - plenty of 6 to 7 foot waves coming through on 13.5 to 15 second period (which has a fair bit of grunt). This, or bigger, is the stuff I normally prefer to go out in and I can’t confidently say that with the pressure of the takedowns I would be totally confident of the contour housing holding up once you are getting into this size and power of swell, which any serious surfer is going to be going out in, either here or overseas.

For the extended use in the surf beyond snow, and assuming you will be going out in decent size waves, I’d recommend the GoProHD in this circumstance. I’ve had mine out in pretty massive surf without any water leakage. breaks that mates of mine have taken the GoPro out in include heavy Shippies, Shark Island, Ours, The Right and Lunas for example. For a 170 degree lens this is the only camera up to speed with these pressures and demands at this point that I am aware of and confident in.

There is a new HD cam due out in a few weeks which is looking like it will also be up to these demands, but the lens angle will be around 130 degrees at this point, so it depends what you want in this area (remember the GoProHD only shoots at around 127 degrees on full HD setting).

So the defining factor as always is the environment the cam will be used in, ‘waterproof’ is a variable term and so is ‘surf’ (depending what size and power you’re intending to go out in).

hope that helps mate.

Doc

Thank you Doc, that helps a lot. I’m looking at the Drift HD on your website now. Does the Drift HD maintain 170 degrees in Full HD mode? If not, what does it drop down to?

Stoked it helped. If you click on the “Specifications” tab it will bring up the more tech details http://www.sportscamera.com.au/drift-innovation-hd170-p-390.html
Same angle reduction in HD1080:
“Recording Angles: 127° in 1080p, 170° in 720p & WVGA”

I’m very excited about the POV.HD and have been aware of it since February.

My contact with VIO tells me the release date they are aiming for is now November 2010. It was originally scheduled for release last June but due to the GFC development and testing went on standby while the company re financed and the date was set back to January 2011.

Initial leaks show the POV.HD will have a wireless SD camera option! and the HD cam will be tethered, the wireless remote will have a mic and more function control and communicate with the recorder. Back then it was referred to as POV.2
I’ve no word on pricing yet.

I’ll wait for confirmation from VIO before I post pictures as they are from marketing material over 6 months old.

rider26 and others,
A note on using HD mode; It requires the optics processor to work much harder and can actually reduce the quality of the image. HD is barely noticeable unless you plan to have the movie screen in a cinema. Use HD for only scenic footage as the processor may struggle when used for action - contrast suffers and fast moving objects become soft, grainy or frames are dropped to compensate.

All these camera’s are compressing digital images similar to a still camera but at up to 60 times a second(60fps) HD is restricted to 30fps in these cams, so if you want stunning slow motion you’ll have to use SD to get 60fps (true slowmo).

For the best quality footage (to be viewed on an LCD or Plasma (up to, say, 40”)) shoot in SD for action HD for scenery.

If your burning your movie to DVD it will all be compressed to SD anyway so all HD benefit will be lost.
HIGH DEF IS ONLY BURNT TO BLUE-RAY DISC!

For internet upload and streaming - it’s much better to have the camera do most of the processing. The companies do R&D to get the best results from their units and it’s built in. Your computer is only damaging the footage at each step of the edit/transfer/upload process then you hand it to a video host (YouTube/Vimeo) to do more damage!
So shoot on SD to obtain a smaller file that will have a better image, is easier to manage, faster to process, upload and stream.

Thanks spaz, I really appreciate the advice.

I think for what I’ll be using the camera for, it would be best to film at 720p. Pretty much all of my edits will end up on Vimeo anyway. Also I prefer to use a wide angle (170 degrees at 720p), and 60fps is obviously a plus. I’ll have another Full HD video camera with me to capture anything else we need.

I’ve been researching for a while now and I think I’m going to go for the GoPro HD. Being able to use it in the surf is too appealing to ignore.

Here’s a question for you guys… where do you think is the best place to mount the camera? I’ve seen some people mount it to the top/front of their helmets, others mount it on the side. I’m not sure where I will mount it. Have you done any testing with different positions?

Cheers for all the info in here, looks like I’ll probably be going for the gopro aswell. Was just going to mount it on the top of my helmet as I thought it’d be the best place to take full advantage of the wide angle. Only downside i a big stack it’s got a higher chance of coming off/being damaged.

Just wondering if anyone out there does discounts on group buys as I’ve got some other mates who are interested aswell.

We have been giving our GoPro a fair flogging lately, we have found that for snowboarding it is best to have the cam out in front on a pole facing back at the rider, this makes the camera the “centre of the universe” and gives us the smoothest footage when we are riding. We have been playing with holding it out to the side a wee bit to capture radness behind.

Having the cam on a tripod or fixed location beside a feature works well to. Really cool cam, easy to use and nice and small.

Check out Chumpy’s videos HERE AT CHUMPY"S WEBSITE he films lots with his GoPro, well worth a look.

We also have a VIO, its great for car footage, I found the pack that goes with it a bit of a pain for snowboarding, but we have put it to plenty of other great uses !!!!
One thing I have problems with, and have not asked spaz how to get around, is that imovie does not like the AVI files it creates, no doubt its an easy fix and I’ll have answers really soon wink or I am doing something really stupid

rider26 - 05 October 2010 04:03 AM

. I’m not sure where I will mount it. Have you done any testing with different positions?

I use the adjustable elbow stick to mount my GoPro Hero HD at the front of my helmet so I can record POV or my face, It’s stable in the position I have it, haven’t tried anything else

anyone know much about this cam? Oregon Scientific Action Cam ATC-3K

seems pretty cheap…but 48 degrees view and 30 frames a second…is that why so cheap?

edit : this review told me its not for me…http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/review/digital_video/oregon-scientific/atc3k_action_camera/276299

my recommendation: Go Pro Hero HD, or if you’re on a budget get a Epic Wide HD

It’s been busy in here, which is great to see the interest, so I’ll try and cover everything in one wrap.

FIRST - Tachyon are bringing out a HD camera!! It’s shipping at the end of October and so should be here early November. the Tachyons are reputed to be one of the toughest cameras on the market and their price is looking to be around the $300 mark , delivered. We’re waiting on the pricing as I write, so we can’t firm it in yet, but damn resonable of a HD cam of their quality ( they’ll be 30m waterproof too).

@Spaz, yeah , how good is the VIO HD going to be! Very psyched to see these babies and get the footage happening. Like we’ve said before, if you’re going to get a VIO/ VIO HD, get it off Spaz and support your local man who supports snowboarding and the snow scene massively, we have plenty of other cam brands to offer if you want those.

@Mt Hotham Local , while we’re on the VIO’s, you just need to download “MPEG Streamclip” and run the AVI file through that. then you just drop the new file into imovie. Voilas! (that’s what I do anyway).
For sure the reverse stick view in Chumpy’s vid is one of the most personal views around, defo one of my faves for lots of sports. I like the way these skaters get around gettng the same/simillar view to keep their hands free http://sportscamera.tumblr.com/post/1248890205/for-our-skaters hectic!
In surfing it happens pretty naturally with a reversed nose mount, but in bodyboarding the guys are devising a system using their mum’s window washer handles mounted on the nose of the board and angled forward, in order to shoot back. Not recommended in huge waves, but they’re getting some super fresh angles out of it - and some groundings from cross mums when they weren’t asked about one of their household items being destroyed I hear, haha.

@snowforshow the Epic HD’s are proving pretty hardy little cameras, our FMX riders are loving their ruggedness for what they are and a little cheaper than the GoPro.

@finney if a few of you want to do a bulk buy, write to us on .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) and we’ll see what we can do. Be sure to mention you’re from Boardworld!

Edit - I meant to mention contour have a new surf/wake mount out (used in conjunction with their waterproof housing) and we reckon it would be pretty sweet to mount on a snowboard for both forward and reverse views from board level. It comes with a sticky pad and the one thing we’re not sure of is how the adhesive will go in the cold conditions - maybe some of you with some experience could let us know? if it needs something extra, then we can sort that out. The link to see this new item is here http://www.sportscamera.com.au/contour-hd-surfwake-mount-p-394.html

Doc out

Countour is close to releasing the CountourGPS! Looks way awesome, but GPS?? Is it really needed? All it’s doing is wasting battery life and extending the cost of the camera.
I perhaps its quite useful because it does shows speed.
Anyways we should be able to see reviews in a couple of weeks, see how it goes.

Since GoPro became the leading seller in this market overtaking Contour, they had to do something to pick up their sales. I think GPS will indeed improve their market share. GPS units hire well in the European ski fields as do headcams so bringing them together was a logical choice. In Australia rentals of GPS was a dismal failure and I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s reflected with the ContourGPS, especially when VIO release the POV.2

spaz - 05 October 2010 03:07 AM

I’m very excited about the POV.HD and have been aware of it since February.

My contact with VIO tells me the release date they are aiming for is now November 2010. It was originally scheduled for release last June but due to the GFC development and testing went on standby while the company re financed and the date was set back to January 2011.

Initial leaks show the POV.HD will have a wireless SD camera option! and the HD cam will be tethered, the wireless remote will have a mic and more function control and communicate with the recorder. Back then it was referred to as POV.2
I’ve no word on pricing yet.

I’ll wait for confirmation from VIO before I post pictures as they are from marketing material over 6 months old.

This got me pretty excited so i started searching and found this info and picture

Helmetcam

Photograph by V.I.O. Inc.

The top-notch imagery and ability to play back your videos in the field made the V.I.O. POV an early leader over the last four years in the booming helmetcam category, but its slow adoption of HD capability let competitors like GoPro catch up. Well, the race is on again, because POV.HD is here: The newest V.I.O. shoots high-def 30 frames a second at 1080p and up to 60 fps at 720. The quality is terrific—a clear leap ahead—and the camera itself is smaller. With 32GB of storage (five hours of HD footage) and battery life of 2.5 hours on HD, that HD might soon mean “high demand” ($599; http://www.vio-pov.com)

heres the link