The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

NZ Trip Sept 2010

Well I;m back from UnZudd, today being the first day I felt like being bothered to do anything much, big trip and been really knackered since getting back.  We were originally gunna do 8 days but ended up extending to 10 which was totally worthwhile.  Just laid it out day by day below.

Day 1

Started out from my place in ydney at 6am for a 10am flight I think it was.  All good got on plane and then rocked up around 4pm in the Britz office in Christchurch to pickup our hire car.  They were gunna stick me and my mate, both over 6’2” and 105kgs and 112kgs respectively ina Toyota Echo, e forked out an extra $70 for a Lancer, bit bigger and a little gruntier s well.  Got out of Christchurch by 4:45 and started down to Queenstown. 

The scenery on the way down for someone that hasn’t been there is nothing short of spectacular.

Dunno if its true or not but the GPS was telling us that the speed limit was 130kmh in some places, did a little bit more than that at times and got to Qtown at about 9:30.  Couldnt see much and being pretty tired we grabbed some burgers from Frankenburger I think it was, really nice stuff as well.

Day 2

Decided that Coros would be the easiest introduction to to NZ boarding and headed up there the next morning, had a great time and there was a fair bit of untracked around with some powder to be found.  The weather turned on in the arvo and we had an awesome time over near greengate i think it is.

Day 3

Headed up tp the Remarks, had to put chains on the car for the first time as it seemed to be snowing its head off up the top.  Couldnt believe how empty the joint was and we headed straight up the shadow basin chair.  So much untouched powder up there despite the fact visibility was kinda crap, we hiked out and across the top of the basin on our last run and scored some awesome powder.  Got a heap of vids of the trip, will havta see about compressing them at some point

Day 4

Heliboarding!  Fucking awesome, words really cant describe how good this is, the guide from Harris Mountains Heli called it as 9/10 day, sunshine and no wind all day.  The only blight on the day was my mate had a moron brain spasm and despite sitting down the bottom after the first part of his run with camera out, he didn’t hit record and missed my best line of the day, I couldnt talk to him for about 20mins after discovering that fuck up, very pissed off.

Day 5

Woke up to find out everything was closed from gale force winds, we took the chance to go jump on the shotover jet, was good fun but after the previous days adventures, not as awesome as it might be otherwise.  After that we were at a bit of a lose end, decided to drive up to the Remarks and hike up the back and try and find somewhere out of the wind to play, did that for about 3 hurs before we were knackered and buzzed off home just as it started to snow again.  For safety’s sake we checked the handbrake and handling capability of the car on the way down.

Day 6

Went back up the Remarks, this was probably the worst snow conditions we had but was still good fun, little hit up the top of the shadow basin chair and then connect up halfway through the baby park.

Day 7

We were thinking about doing Cardrona but turned out it was closed for some maintenance issue so we bit the bullet and went to Treble Cone, very happy with that decision, I really enjoyed the place, well Saddle Basin anyways.  Fresh tracks for quite some time this day, big natural half pipes all over the place and a fun jump line as well.

Day 8

Back to Treble cone, pretty tracked out so we did a little 20min hike off to the left of the Saddle basin chair a couple of times, amazing views and a couple of jump runs as well.

At the end of the day we drove up to Methven, we rode Mt Hutt the next day, have yet to upload the pics from that day but will do when I have.  I was totally knackered and really only managed to get through till 2pm, we bailed about 3pm and had our last night on the cans at the Blue pub, met a few Kiwis and had a good fun time.  Next day off early to the airport and home!

really sick little thread.
keep it coming.
you didn’t think about hitting the backside at coronets in the background of your photo?

Thanks for sharing man. Looks like an awesome trip

That is EPIC! Looks like you had an awesome shred trip mate. You must be stoked! Thanks for sharing with us. grin

Awesome stuff mate. Nice powder btw.

Couple of vids that I just ran through windows movie maker.

Beautiful pics, NZ is truly one of the most beautiful spots in the world. Thanks for sharing.

Over the last couple of weeks I downloaded and used Cyberlink power director in the little amount of spare time I have to piece together the footage from the trip into something that could be shown to people.  There was probably around 40GB of footage, mostly garbage that would be of no interest to anyone other than my mate and I.  A smaller percentage of other stuff that might have been interesting to family who have to act interested, a smaller amount again that I cobbled into about 45mins of footage, even thats probably too much to keep mates interested but a couple have sat through most of it.

As the file sizes are pretty large and I’m not about to pay for premium Vimeo access will put some of the more interesting bits in here as my upload restrictions allow.

Apparently Im a Vimeo retard, can’t get this to work for some reason

Hey mate, all you need in the Vimeo tag is the string of numbers after the vimeo.com/ in the URL. Click quote or edit to see how I did it.

mad trip mate. cant wait to get over there next season, cant beleive how empty the place looks!