The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Ankle rehab

Hey guys, I’m 16 and broke my left ankle and had a small avulsion fracture on the 30th of July. I went back to hospital today and they said that the bone was healed and there was no ligament damage. It still hurts a bit to walk and I don’t have full range of movement. Any suggestions on exercises or the like so that I can get back to skating would be appreciated.

One thing for sure doing some physio to help loosen up your ankle and learn strenghtening exercises. I did my ankle again nearly 2 years ago and left the physio for too long and it got super stiff. So don’t be stupid like me but get it sorted straight up. Asked becky for some clearer assitance on this as she helped me heaps with my ankle.

I’ve emailed this thread to Becky, I’m sure she’ll reply soon.

Hi guys,

Were you in a cast or boot? I’m assuming you didn’t need surgery?

You’re basically 6 weeks post fracture, so good to hear the bone is now healed. That’s about right!

It’s normal for you not to have full range of movement. Your joints will be stiff (as you have not moved them for 6 weeks), so it is a good idea to go to a physio, so they can mobilise your ankle joints and restore that movement. They will also give you a range of exercises, and once you have a certain amount of movement, you can progress to strengthening exercises (eg with theraband, calf raises etc) and proprioception exercises (balance type exercises to help you get back to skating! eg wobble board exercises) but, you’re not quite ready to start this yet.

As a guide, start moving your ankle up and down and doing small circles. Remember, not to push into any pain!

Try keep the pain under control with adequate pain killers.

Keep me posted. Becky.

Thanks Becky, and yes I was in a half cast just around the back of my leg for two weeks, then a boot for a month, which I got off yesterday. Also, I’m wearing normal shoes in my house but put the boot on when I go outside. Also, when I start skating again, would you reccommend an ankle brace or just strap it with a bandage? Thanks every one else

Do you have any private health insurance, Lewis?

I’ve got a medicare card but I’m not really sure

Hi Lewis,

When you get back to skating (when you are at that stage!), you can use a brace for some stability, but by the time you are back skating, your ankle should be back to its original strength and stability anyway, so it’s not essential that you use it. It will just feel more supportive in the initial stages. The brace can be a good reminder of your ankle and not to go too hard too soon. The bandage would be useless!

Becky.

Great. My ankle and foot are hurting less every few days and the doctor said I can skate again on wednesday. Definitely looking forward to it!