The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Massive waves at Bondi Beach

I drove past a few days ago and noticed how huge the surf was. Didn’t realise it was this big though…

THE young man stands on the edge of the rock face, bracing himself as the awesome power of a massive wave thunders towards him.

Brave but foolish, he was soaked by the explosion of water as the 4m wave erupted over a headland at Sydney’s Bondi Beach on Friday afternoon.

New South Wales was hit by huge waves, with 60km/h winds turning Sydney Harbour into a no-go zone for ferries.

Marine forecaster Coastalwatch said a rare weather event and a low pressure system, which generated the swell, caused the ocean’s violence.

“We had something called ‘captured fetch’ happen and it’s pretty rare here,” chief forecaster Ben McCartney said. “It’s one of the reasons Hawaii experiences such big surf and it happens when wind and swell are coming from the same direction around the same speed, so the moving swells continually receive wind energy.

“This compounds the swell force and allows extraordinary wave heights to develop.”

Article here

The surf was insane, the biggest I have seen it yet.

There was no way that guy stayed standing on that rock when the waves hit.

Man that is seriously nuts I haven’t seen bondi put on a show like that. Makes you think how much pressure would be going through that wave.

Just Giver - 18 August 2010 02:14 AM

The surf was insane, the biggest I have seen it yet.

There was no way that guy stayed standing on that rock when the waves hit.

On top of that I’d be surpised if he satyed together (shoes, etc)

I think that photo is for real… the surf was insane!

That is such a sick shot.

Candidate for a Darwin Award?

Dude that is crazy!

Look at the size of the lump in the background, on the horizon!

Ok,
4m waves
he is on a 8-10m rock shelf
strong winds, aerated foamy water
most of the energy has dissipated

I think it looks a lot crazier than it was. Still a stupid thing to do, it would have been more stupid to try and surf that day.

Did anyone check the Sydney Harbour breaks, Botany Bay, Bundeena, Hawksbury, Jervis Bay? There would have been some epic “never surfed” banks around.

haha i was there wen that photo was taken…... he did stay standing….unfortunaty..