The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Ski Tube - Perisher

Need some local knowledge please!

I’m new to riding on this side of the globe, so I wanted some tips on the blue mountains.

Hitting up Perisher and Threbo in August, and driving there from Sydney.

I’ve been told about the ‘Ski Tube’ but just wanted some feed back on it.

What’s the deal? Is it any good?

If I park there, is it free for the whole week I’m there?

If I park there, does that mean I don’t have to buy a National Park Pass for my car and I don’t have to buy Chains either?

At the Perisher end how easy is it then to get to your accommodation?

I’ve looked on their website and stuff, but it didn’t seem that clear to me.

Any tips/advice would be cool thanks.

What is the “ski tube”?

It’s a train that runs from somewhere near Perisher, to Perisher and beyond.

I guess it’s kinda like a Park and Ride.

Hey Woody,

The Ski Tube is half way between Jindabyne and Thredbo. It’s basically a big car park with a train station.

Is it any good? Not really. It’s just a bulky train getting you from point A to B. Nothing special about it at all.

I believe parking is free. I’m sure someone here can confirm that.

You will not need to pay for Park entry as the Ski Tube is just before the Park entrance to Thredbo. You will not need chains to the Ski Tube (unless there is a freak storm), and you are not required to have them with you, as you are not in the National Park.

You will however need to pay Park entry when you go to Thredbo, and if you are driving a 2WD, you will need to carry chains.

In regards to getting to your accomodation in Perisher, I am not sure. It would be best to speak to the agents you booked with.

Hope that helps.

hmm ski tube.. that’s a neat idea

Cheers Rider 26!

Good to know.

I thought this was going to be a video of the resort.

I tell you what, once I’ve been I’ll post a vid.

Woody - 18 June 2009 03:52 AM

I tell you what, once I’ve been I’ll post a vid.

Please do, and of course show us the ski tube.

ski tube is good for if you are staying in jindabyne and want to snowboard at perisher for the day…less driving, easier to park and quicker but it does cost you a little extra on your lift pass
if you are staying at perisher, best option is to probably drive…depends on whether where your staying has good parking or not i guess

I’ve just been to Perisher and chose the ski tube over driving to Perisher itself. The parking at the ski tube is free but I had to pay $81 for 3 days using the tube, however I think some lift passes include the tube. I was staying at the station resort in Jindy (highly recommended for good value) and it was about 25 min drive to the tube. As people have mentioned the pros are less driving, no chains required, and no nat park fees. In the end I think either option cost roughly the same (if you dont own chains).

yeah i have been going to perisher for a long time now, and only used the tube one time to jindy/bullocks flat. it can cost a fortune unless you buy the lift pass with ski tube option. i can see the advantages of it but im not convinced to use it. i like the drive up and it can be a good gauge of conditions knowing what areas along the way have snow or the depth in certain areas. plus we regularly hike spots along the road and build jumps/jibs etc after a days riding.

i have an annual pass for the national parks ($190…so i dont pay daily entry($35?).
i own a set of chains (bought from hire shop for $50)
i dont mind the drive, as long as we leave jindy early enough to beat the crowds. it’s roughly 45 mins from memory at the speed limits/traffic dependent and can take up to 3 hours in heavy snow/punter time/chainless cars blocking road time.
if you are visiting from o/s and have no car or a rental car…ski tube could be worth it….or try to hook up with someone else driving up the mountain.
if you are staying on mountain, the ski tube is your only logical option as there is no overnight parking on the mountain and not all lodges have parking for all guests (heavy fines apply - i know this first hand…but got out of it)

Woody - 18 June 2009 03:16 AM

Need some local knowledge please!

I’m new to riding on this side of the globe, so I wanted some tips on the blue mountains.

Hitting up Perisher and Threbo in August, and driving there from Sydney.

As much as I’d like ski resorts in the Blue Mountains, unfortunately they are a little further from Sydney than that.
The blue mountains are about an hour west of Sydney, the snowy mountains are about 5 hours ssw of Sydney.

You can catch the tube from Bullocks flats to Perisher. Bullocks flats are on the road to Thredbo (not the same road as Perisher). I personally prefer to drive.

Hope you enjoy your time amongst the snow gums… Best trees in the world (my biased opinion)

The Ski Tube starts at Bullocks Flat isn’t it?
Stops at the perisher terminal, and then again at Mt Blue Cow.
Same price all day, and you can get on and off as many time as you wish between mountains (need to confirm this)
There’s 2 trains, so It’s around every 15 minutes between trains.

THE TRAIN IS COLD! (yes, it’s winter… but, it’s really cold raspberry )

Why does the train only start at Bullocks? they should extend it to Jindy, that would make life so much more simple