The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Find Your FIT!

Hey Everyone!

Being in peak physical condition for the winter season is integral to having the most success and fun out there on your board!

As a Personal Trainer and Adventure Fitness Coach I started up Find Your Fit! because I realized that everyone wants to get fit for a different reason and in a different way. Not everyone just wants to lose weight, not everyone likes running on a treadmill. My aim is to attain what type of fitness you want to reach and then determine which exercises you enjoy that will enable you to achieve that goal.

Is it strength, endurance and power? Is it cardiovascular fitness? Is it core, balance and coordination, or even mental toughness!

The types of exercise in your training program will also be determined by what sport or activity you are training for! For example, if you were a part of a rowing team training for a regatta, then a big majority of your training would involve being on the rower in the gym, and resistance exercises like seated rows and lat pull downs. Same with snowboarding, you want functional exercises that mimic the actions you take when snowboarding.

If anyone has any questions about exercises and training for snowboarding or any other sport or activity, just post your question and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Keep an eye out for an fitness for snowboarding article of mine that will be published on the site soon.

Cheers,

Jules

I was thinking about becoming a personal trainer and start my own business eventually and I was wondering what you took in school and any tips you have for people wanting to make sports their career.

hey mate!

I could go on and on forever about the pro’s and con’s of being a personal trainer because there are so many of each. I studied at the Australian Institute of Fitness. IT was an 8 week course and cost about 5 grand. You complete the course with the neccessary qualifications to start Personal Training straight away which is cool cause you can start charging whatever rate you want immediately!

The pro’s are that you get to work in gyms or outside at the beach, in parks..wherever you want weather dependent. I like the fact that my clients have become my friends and I enjoy seeing them once or twice a week and it;s like hanging out with a friend for an hour. The other pro is that it’s engaging and active and always developing so there are always things to learn and new skills to acquire that you can pass onto your clients and it is very rewarding to see clients improve their fitness.

Your clients will come and go. Some stay for weeks, months and if your lucky years, but you are constantly searching for more clients and they are not that easy to find and retain!! they don’t want to train in the rain, if they are slightly ill, if they need to stay at work late, if they are feeling a financial strain you are the first thing to go! so it can be quite tiresome. The different working day takes a lot of getting used as well. You are up every morning at 4:30 - 5 and work until 9ish, then home most of the day while your friends are at work and then you work again in the afternoon evening.

there is so much more so if you have any specific questions just ask..you mentioned a career in sports..do you know exactly what area of the sporting industry you would like to work in??

jules

Hi Jules thanks for your insight into personal training and schooling.

To answer your question about “what area in the sporting industry I want to work in” I think I would need to think some more about that. I have been a competitive squash player for about 14 years and have coached for 4 years. I have recently injured my shoulder pretty good so I am unable to play for a while now. I still want to stick to coaching, I love it and it makes me feel a sense of accomplishment when I see the skills I have taught my kids come out and help them win and improve. One thing I do want to help with, is trying to help kids manage a competitive lifestyle with schooling. My high school grades suffered a lot when I had to travel and train all the time. I want kids to understand the importance of it all.

That’s just an idea, I think once I get further along with qualifications then I’ll find something I truly want to do as a career