The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

please help me with my ollies

please help me with my ollies i’ve been skating for about 2 weeks now. 

Hey patpere! I’ve been skating for a month..so I am not that good but I can ollie properly In spot and while moving. By watching your video I can see that you get the pop, but then you not slide your foot up to level out your board. Also when you pop(this is for while moving) you need to jump forward with your board. Just remember: You are jumping WITH your board. And also you should learn ollies while moving because learning in stationary is completely different. Again I can only ollie, but these tips will help you a lot. I’ll also post how to ollie
1-Foot placement- Because you are a beginner like me, Put your back foot on the center of the tail or even more back if you want. Your front foot should be a little bit behind the bolts. You can put it at a 45 degrees angle, but I prefer put it straight.

2-Popping your board- Your back foot should pop hard enough to let the board “fly” in the air. For now, don’t pop it too hard because it’s going to be more difficult.

3-Jumping- After popping you have to simultaneously jump in the air so that you actually jumping WITH the board.

4-Slinding your front foot UP- That’s what makes the ollie. Practice it with your board by just sliding your foot up. Remember slide it forward/up to make the board level out.

5- Landing- This should take a few hours. Just land on the bolts and you’ll be fine.

Tips: NEVER turn your shoulders because you are going to turn and eventually stop sometimes. Just look at the middle of the board while you ollie.
This should help you out with your ollies…and hope you get them soon! =)

Ardent pretty muched nailed it there. Making sure you are centered over the board and not turning your shoulders.

The main thing is to be patient with yourself and remember that things like that will take time. Ollie’s are the chief cornerstone of skating so make sure that you are getting them on lock before trying to move onto harder tricks.

Also check this trick tip video, for some additional info and visual assistance.

https://www.boardworld.com.au/skateboarding/content/category/trick-tip-ollie/

thanks guys it really help ill post a vidoe of my progress in a few weeks.

hows this going for 1 more day practice?  [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5Hrm2S6d2Y&feature=youtube_gdata[/youtube]

That’s it man! You now got your ollies down. The next step is to pop harder, jump higher and putting your front foot more behind the bolts. Then you’ll get used to ollie while rolling.

Yeah you are definitely on the right track there now patpere.