The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

wetsuit and board advice for family

Hey All,

Looking for some advice on two fronts:

1. what’s a good wetsuit brand for the kids (currently have Rip Curl and O’Neill)?  We’re looking at maybe moving from spring suits to full-length wetties.  I’m also looking for one for myself.

2. We currently have two boogies and need to get another board for my daughter as she has outgrown the little booger but is too small still for the adult one.  Is there some sort of soft board that can be ridden like a boogie but also used as a beginner surfboard, hopefully without being too huge?

Cheers,

Mud

Honestly mate, whatever brand of wetsuit that fits them is the best wetsuit!!!!!

A wettie shoul fit like a second skin, with as little or no air pockets!!!!! Not only can these pockets fill with water adding extra weight, but this extra water that flows through the suit actually draws away body heat and kinda defeats the purpose of wearin a wettie in the first place!!!!!

It’s pretty hard with kids as they grow out of wetsuits so quickly, but if ya look after them properly, ya might be able to get a decent resale coin to go toward the next one!!!!!

As for boards, a Softlite Fish ~ 5’ will do the trick!!!!! Still a lot bigger than a Booger, but I’m positive they’ll all have fun on one!!!!!

you can sometimes find bodyboards in good sizes for kids. what size in inches is her current board?

cords - 03 January 2013 04:25 PM

you can sometimes find bodyboards in good sizes for kids. what size in inches is her current board?

Her current boogie is 33” but I’d rather get her on something she can start standing up on.  I think a soft board such as the one Mizu suggested would be good.

I agree with Mizu on the wetsuits. It’s kind of like snowboard boots. Try a bunch on and see what fits best. Quality-wise, I have always been a fan of O’Neill wetsuits and they are always the brand I look at first.

With the board, have you considered a foam Nipper board? Honestly, these boards are a great transition board. They are designed for paddling on lying down, so it introduces the kids into paddling into waves. They are super safe, they have handles and they are actually a lot of fun. The best part is they can also use it as a transition board for stand-up surfing when they are ready; the board has a single fin, so it’s really nice and stable for kids to stand on.

Also, Nippers is great in general - but we’ll leave that discussion for another time. smile

Ok I’ve somewhat taken your advice.  We had a bit of a splurge at the Tonik sale today and this is the new set-up for the kids.  Softlite Classic 6’6” in green, Ripcurl E-Bomb Pro+ kids (the red/grey one), Billabong Foil (blue).  Also got a board bag (not shown).  I’ve enrolled Little Mud in a 4 x 2 hour Vegemite Groms surf program starting Monday.

shaka

Oh, and just like any board, remember not to leave it in the sun/hot car etc etc, otherwise it’ll warp!!!!!

And ya most likely already know this, but for the benefit of anyone that reads this, make sure ya rinse the wetties out in fresh water, and hang them in the shade, preferably by hanging them folded at the waist over the line!!!!!

* Note that I didn’t say “the kids”, cause I know that they won’t!!!!!

hah thanks, mate, already knew most of that.  We bought the bag to protect the board, even though they said it’s not strictly necessary.

They’ll have a blast on that board!!!!! shaka

Did ya get some wax for the board too?????

Mizu Kuma - 11 January 2013 11:26 AM

Did ya get some wax for the board too?????

Yeah they threw some Mrs Palmer’s in, gave it a good rubbin’!  First time I’ve ever waxed a surfboard wink

I just hope it’s the board that got the rubbin!!!!!

Lucky they didn’t give ya some Sex Wax!!!!!

Kids will love that stuff Mud, my old man used to make me save up half the cash for my wetsuits and boards from my paper run when I was a kid from about the age of 10 up.  I actually don’t remember having a wetsuit before then, just some Oneill vest and boardies even in the middle of winter ha ha.  Kids are spoilt these days, even the bottom of the line el cheapo suit is light years ahead of what they used to be, I remember my underarms used to look like they had been attacked by a vampire after most surfs and vaseline was a must before every surf as a result.

I love sex wax and giving it a good rub on my stick or gun. Mr Zoggs is the best though I don’t mind having Mrs Palmer handle my wax job either.

I always buy the cheapest wettie for PP as she out grows anything within a couple of months. If I’m lucky I grab any second hand one if I can.

I’m the worst at hanging my wettie out to dry but so very good at always rinsing in fresh water - it usually stays in my wet-bucket in the car and smells like a wet dog.

It’s the salt crystals that destroy the neoprene fastest and drying a wettie with salt water in it is the worst thing you can do. As the salt water drys the crystals expand and literally tear, pull apart and cut the rubber. Also avoid metal coat hangers, the metal can heat up and cause the rubber to deform and this is why I don’t like a clothes-line with metal wire, but when using a line I’ve found it’s best to spread them out over several lines because the added weight of the water can stretch the neoprene where they hang. (When I do dry my suit) I hang it on a wooden fence or rail. Normally I try and let as much water drip off at the beach before throwing it in my wet-bucket and leaving it in the car - I’ll advised.

I also often leave my fibreglass board in the car too (bad form) but never the softboard, they are really affected by heat like a bodyboard is.