The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Banana boards Vs Magnetraction

solid edge hold for easy carving with good feel and jibbability?  am i just dreaming or can santa sort me out this year?

I think at least Jez is expecting a lengthy post from me on this one.. but hereee goes

I just spent 118 days on a Lib Tech Skate Banana 156. It was the best riding of my life. Here’s why: I kept the magna fairly sharp, rode a stiffer binding / boot setup and reefed (leaned heavily) into my edges on ice

Magna is used to counter act the tendency of reverse camber boards to ‘chop’ or ‘skitter’ (jumping around) during high speeds and intense edge pressure. I originally dulled my edges after buying the board, before hitting hte snow, like i do with all my boards- baddd move. my first month on the banana was perculiar, the magna was randomly give out, although i still love it, i had no ideaaa what was to come

so i went to kyle at blackcomb tuning, who rides a magna.
he HAND TUNED (in caps because most shops will throw your magna through what they claim is a’magna friendly’ machine, ruining your bevel and dulling your edges… seriously… there is no machine for magna / no attachements for wintersteiger / other edge tuning machiens to accomodate for magna) My banana for me, when I picked it up it was like nothing id even ridden

for the rest of the year this board pressed as much as i wanted it to, when i wanted it to, stuck edge when i wanted to, and floated above powder when asked

honestly i cannot describe a board thats more fun to ride, more responsive and more skate-feeling. if you skate or have a ‘buttery’ style, i’d highhhhly recommend this board. you wont catch me on anything else for a longggg time.

edit: the reason for the stiffer boot/binding setup is - you want the board to respond AS SOON AS YOUR MUSCLES MOVE, this board wont do the riding for you like a super tuned custom x (or another stiff/crazy fast ride). As such, I recommend aluminum supported bindings (rome/forum platform series/union) or a high end burton plastic binder (although i hate burton binders.. this is another topic though) and some reallll stiff boots. this will allow you to flex the pisss out of teh banana without losing ‘quick response’ performance.

banananananananannanananananananana!!

ok so i wanted a banana before but you’ve kinda put me off now shredlife (joke)
the problem as an instructor is that they’re not available on prodeal and they don’t offer any kind of discount.  you might say suck it up (and perhaps you’re right) but its hard when burton along with other companies offer solid discounts on their stuff.
thanks for the review shredlife

Shredlife, I agree about the stiffer boot/binding combo, Ions & Cartels here. (I don’t like Romes, and will avoid all Ride/K2 products because they’re owned by the same company that make Sunbeam.  Boycott toaster snowboarding!)

You’re right about the hand tune, and you can get small enough files etc to do it if you go to the right hardware store. Don’t let the shred industry tell you that you need to spend that much on tuning equipment.

As I’ve mentioned before, the one thing I didn’t like was the way you have to ollie. The snap from my regular camber Trice is just so much more satisfying than on the banana. Other than that both boards are great for different things.

As for pow float - I’m 65-70kg and ride a Skateynana 152, and still managed to float in waist deep pow…

Aidy - 27 June 2009 06:45 AM

ok so i wanted a banana before but you’ve kinda put me off now shredlife (joke)
the problem as an instructor is that they’re not available on prodeal and they don’t offer any kind of discount.  you might say suck it up (and perhaps you’re right) but its hard when burton along with other companies offer solid discounts on their stuff.
thanks for the review shredlife

libtech doesnt offer prodeal because as my friend mike put it -they like to do the ‘cheap for everyone’ prodeal. although the boards arent 350$ per deck like alot of CASI prodeal sponsors (Burton, Stepchild etc), their boards usually come in at the 450 (Boxscratcher) - 600 Range(trice) CAD$, and as such dont hit the high price points of Burton (650-800/900CAD for high end models) or Stepchild (600-700) for pro decks.

So although Lib wont be treating you to extra coffees and bus passes with that 200 you saved down from 500, they can give you a board that performs like a 800 dollar board from another company, for 500/600 bucks.

brap.

edit: that picture above is fantastic. way to go ennzed

Shredlife - 27 June 2009 01:34 AM

I think at least Jez is expecting a lengthy post from me on this one.. but hereee goes

I just spent 118 days on a Lib Tech Skate Banana 156. It was the best riding of my life. Here’s why: I kept the magna fairly sharp, rode a stiffer binding / boot setup and reefed (leaned heavily) into my edges on ice

Magna is used to counter act the tendency of reverse camber boards to ‘chop’ or ‘skitter’ (jumping around) during high speeds and intense edge pressure. I originally dulled my edges after buying the board, before hitting hte snow, like i do with all my boards- baddd move. my first month on the banana was perculiar, the magna was randomly give out, although i still love it, i had no ideaaa what was to come

so i went to kyle at blackcomb tuning, who rides a magna.
he HAND TUNED (in caps because most shops will throw your magna through what they claim is a’magna friendly’ machine, ruining your bevel and dulling your edges… seriously… there is no machine for magna / no attachements for wintersteiger / other edge tuning machiens to accomodate for magna) My banana for me, when I picked it up it was like nothing id even ridden

for the rest of the year this board pressed as much as i wanted it to, when i wanted it to, stuck edge when i wanted to, and floated above powder when asked

honestly i cannot describe a board thats more fun to ride, more responsive and more skate-feeling. if you skate or have a ‘buttery’ style, i’d highhhhly recommend this board. you wont catch me on anything else for a longggg time.

edit: the reason for the stiffer boot/binding setup is - you want the board to respond AS SOON AS YOUR MUSCLES MOVE, this board wont do the riding for you like a super tuned custom x (or another stiff/crazy fast ride). As such, I recommend aluminum supported bindings (rome/forum platform series/union) or a high end burton plastic binder (although i hate burton binders.. this is another topic though) and some reallll stiff boots. this will allow you to flex the pisss out of teh banana without losing ‘quick response’ performance.

banananananananannanananananananana!!

I want to ride this exact set up.
I have been wanting to get on a magnetraction, and had the chance but diddnt take it. (the guy’s bindings diddnt fit or something - I forget).
Banana and Magne seems to be a great combo when stated as you have above. I know it may not be for everybody, but Id like to give it a shot.

No pro deals? I diddnt know this about Lib Tech, I assume Gnu has the same policy?
Most companies extend something

Magnetraction is a great technology by Mervin, however, its slightly over hyped especially back in 2007/2008. Now that the other companies have brought out reverse camber boards, we’ve found that a regular side cut can be just as good as MTX if the reverse camber is done correctly. I use to be a uber Skate Banana fan boy, but other brands have played catchup and dare I say, there are many boards worthy of Skate Banana status.

I hated the Mervin marketing for MTX when it was first released…..“turns ice into powder”. That was a crock of sh!t really. Sure it helped with edge hold, but it certainly didn’t make boarding on ice any more fun. So yeah, its good technology, but not the be-all end-all when it comes to edge hold. I found the edge hold on a Capita Horrorscope just as grippy as the Skate Banana, and the horrorscope is a way softer flexing board!

So true, a buyer needs to be careful of what is said when a product is marketed.
A forum like this with real riders sharing their experiences with equipment is a better way to get info about new products.

Magnetraction is awesome.. Because you cant fall.. 

Smokin Vixen 148 is where its at ladies..

Enn Zed - 27 June 2009 12:56 PM

As I’ve mentioned before, the one thing I didn’t like was the way you have to ollie.

I must have missed your comment on how you have to ollie differently, can you direct me to those words - cut and paste them here - or restate them?
I’m curious.

zhenjie - 28 June 2009 10:19 AM

I hated the Mervin marketing for MTX when it was first released…..“turns ice into powder”. That was a crock of sh!t really. Sure it helped with edge hold, but it certainly didn’t make boarding on ice any more fun. So yeah, its good technology, but not the be-all end-all when it comes to edge hold. I found the edge hold on a Capita Horrorscope just as grippy as the Skate Banana, and the horrorscope is a way softer flexing board!

I think you have to understand Mervin as a company. Of course they didn’t mean it literally, and as with most of their advertising it’s a little bit weird and also having a dig at some of the larger companies and how their new tech always seems to be “The most amazing thing ever! Buy now! You can’t ride without it!”

Right, MTX isn’t the ultimate solution for ice, but I think it might help a little bit.

I think you have to understand Mervin as a company. Of course they didn’t mean it literally, and as with most of their advertising it’s a little bit weird and also having a dig at some of the larger companies and how their new tech always seems to be “The most amazing thing ever! Buy now! You can’t ride without it!”

Enn Zed - nail on the head. It’s Mervin’s (or used to be,,, check out transworld biz to see who theyve been sold to…itll scare you) marketing that make those outrageous claims inthe ads,, i think its awesome.

As far as magna vs Ice re: the original discussion - its amazing. After having a tuned lib on snow every day for 30-40 days, I remember coming up to a larrrge patch of ice during a particularly icey time this season. I consciously told myself to throw more flex into my knees, lift my heels to stick those toes in. I continued to carve into the ice like nothing had changed in the snow surface.

The next run, curious, I rode up to my carve on the far side of Ridge runner. It was a low-traffic weekday, and for some reason Crystal was open, there wer eonly a couple of other tracks laid down. I rode up and noticed the edge line literally continued un-waivered by the ice, all the way through the ice patch. I was amazed. I could literally pinpoint EXACTLY where I had reefed into my edges, almost 10 minutes later.

If I can carve that deep w/ magna (and I’m not crazy hardbooter w/ mad tech carving skills) , its gotta help low and high end riders alike.

I’ve tried the horror, its a greatttt board. I just kept slipping out at high speeds.. I know what would solve that, A serrated edge and a board witha bittt more stiffness… wait.. didnt someone make that.. oh right! SKATEBANANA FOR LIFE. (youll see me on a rome postermania next yr too..but that s another story)

ch!

You mean that Quik owns Mervin? Yeah, I know. As long as they stay true to their original ideals I’ll support them. Like with the skateynana and Cartel - fine they’re not the most tech pieces of equipment out there, but they fit my riding style perfectly. That’s why I’m sold on them.

Snowslider - the ollie thing. With a rev-camber board, because the board is already bent up at the tail I feel you have to work a little harder to “pre-load” the tail for decent pop.  It’s not a disadvantage, and I’ve heard some skaters say it’s more similar to a skateboard ollie. I can still ollie (quote from someone I know “Damn, for a little dude you have some POP!”) but it doesn’t have the same satisfying feeling as pre-loading against regular camber and then working the release to get that real *snap* out of the tail. Same thing for true, snappy carves when I want to do them. I mean I can still carve uphill and back around (*claim*) on my skateynana, but it doesn’t launch you out of turns like a cambered board does. However, that’s only a teeny tiny part of groomer shredding, for the rest of the mountain the rev camber is mega fun.

Reverse camber is fun, and I really enjoy riding it, but I’m not going to throw away ‘regular’ cambered boards. There is a place for both. It’s super hard to ‘try before you buy’ but I really think that both technologies have a place and it’s about finding what you like about each, for different terrain/mountains/whatever.

That makes me even more eager to try one.
thanks for the explanation.

Come to Montreal, you can demo my 52!