The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

50-50 help?

Whenever I try and 50-50 I can’t get on the ledge I’m trying to grind on. When I try to Ollie onto it I kinda heelflip and my front foot lands on the ledge. When I do land on it I always slide back. I’ve watched the video with Mitch faber but I still can’t get it. :(
Sorry for my crap explaining smile

How high a ledge are you practising on? The thing with 50-50’s is to start small and then work you way up.
It seems that you are trying to get onto the ledge is with the front truck, leading to the board going into the heelflip. You need to aim your back truck for the ledge first. So come in towards the ledge at a slight angle, when you pop your ollie your back truck should be above the ledge. This is the key part to locking into the 50-50 otherwise you will have the same problem as you are having now.
One thing to practise is skating straight towards a ledge/gutter and olling 90 degrees onto it. This way you know if you are getting both trucks onto the ledge, but it also makes you put you back truck on first.
I hope this has helped and that you can progress on from here a lot smoother. 50-50’s are a bit of a mind screw with me after stuffing my ankle big time on one. Didn’t back on the horse quick enough and I was almost having to relearn them.

The ledge isnt that high its only a small box at the skatepark probably the height of a DVD case? haha, I’ll try to ollie onto it on an angle because I was going parallel to it and I think I was trying to reach my foot out towards it which makes me heelflip :S A good thing though is that my heelflips are getting better but like most of my tricks I only land one foot no matter how much I commit.
As for the 90 degree ollies onto gutters will help me with my FS 180’s I always land them but my back foot is barely on the tail or falls off.
Aren’t I a troubled skater? raspberry
That sucks about your ankle man is it all better now? A mate of mine injured his ankle a while ago and he was off skating for 2 weeks.

But thanks for the tips CJ I’ll give it a shot next time I go skating!

The skate section of the forum is so empty :(

BKM - 22 September 2011 05:08 AM

Whenever I try and 50-50 I can’t get on the ledge I’m trying to grind on. When I try to Ollie onto it I kinda heelflip and my front foot lands on the ledge. When I do land on it I always slide back. I’ve watched the video with Mitch faber but I still can’t get it. :(

hi mate.
first thing is if the board in anyway comes loose from your feet in any ollie trick is because you dont have your ollies on lock.
the board should never flap around your feet ....if you have a confident ollie with a fast snap the board will lock like a magnet .
than by applying the ollie to a grind should be no problem.

its the hight that will make 50-50 hard start small.
and like i said in the video start with just ollining into the 50-50 position do that till its perfect every time than try rolling.
good luck

mitch faber - 23 September 2011 10:35 PM
BKM - 22 September 2011 05:08 AM

hi mate.
first thing is if the board in anyway comes loose from your feet in any ollie trick is because you dont have your ollies on lock.
the board should never flap around your feet ....if you have a confident ollie with a fast snap the board will lock like a magnet .
than by applying the ollie to a grind should be no problem.

its the hight that will make 50-50 hard start small.
and like i said in the video start with just ollining into the 50-50 position do that till its perfect every time than try rolling.
good luck

Thanks Mitch smile I’ll give my ollies more practice and start smaller!
Thanks everyone for your help!

finally my net is back so i can reply haha, I agree with mitch, if your board is coming away from your feet you definitely need to work on the ollie side of things first smile

once you get them down youll be a lot more confident with getting into the 50.

maybe this video can help you with approch angles..

baskwith - 25 September 2011 02:50 PM

finally my net is back so i can reply haha, I agree with mitch, if your board is coming away from your feet you definitely need to work on the ollie side of things first smile

once you get them down youll be a lot more confident with getting into the 50.

maybe this video can help you with approch angles..

hahaha raspberry I was looking at the video before I went to the skatepark last night! I think I need to start on something smaller because the box at the skatepark is a bit too high and there is not enough distance for me to set up my ollies properly but I’ll work on it smile

Also I’m looking forward to the 10 trick line!

BKM - 22 September 2011 10:31 AM

Aren’t I a troubled skater? raspberry
That sucks about your ankle man is it all better now? A mate of mine injured his ankle a while ago and he was off skating for 2 weeks.

But thanks for the tips CJ I’ll give it a shot next time I go skating!

The skate section of the forum is so empty :(

We are all troubled skaters with something. Even some of the best skaters always have their problem tricks.

Funny thing with my ankle is I did it on a fs 50-50. It was pretty bad, took ages to heal and is still a problem for me. That was over 2 1/2 years ago. It has taken me ages to get back on the horse with grinds too. I left it for too long and have let it be my downfall and lost so many things because of it. Oh well.

I rather the skate forum stay empty and informative (thanks mitch and baskwith) then full of the guys that just hate on everything and swear the whole day long. Keep it core and keep it helpful.

How’d you roll it on the 50-50? man that would of hurt!

I kept rolling my ankle on FS 180’s my back foot kept slipping off and making me roll it. A while ago I had a problem landing my ollies straight, they would always land on an angle. Now I’m progressing a bit with that which I’m proud of :D

In a way it is good that there is a little bit of skaters on the forums and you don’t have to worry about those people that just attack you if you aren’t good at skating (like me raspberry) . The BW skater community are a small informative wolfpack! But it is very empty a lot of the time. I guess I’ll have to start making some threads for the “wolfpack” haha smile