The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Setup for tall skaters???

Hey people,
So I tried to get back into skating about a year or so ago because I missed snowboarding so much.
I did manage to learn a few things I couldn’t do as a kid but I found I was just to tall to have a good stance on the board.
I’m 6 foot 5 and and size 13 feet. I know you can get wide decks (i bought one) but they aren’t long enough to have a wide stance so I’m standing really narrow and can’t get a good center of gravity.

So my question is… is anyone making boards longer than standard for us tall guys?

Good question, I’m in the same boat.

Hey Andy,
A lot of the time when you get a wider deck the wheel base and overall length is extended. One thing with skating vs snowboarding is the fact that the board is always shorter so stance does need to change.
Do you want to do me a favour and measure your board. Width of the board, length and wheel base.
Width is just by measuring from edge to edge. Length is by running a tape measure along the deck from nose to tail. Wheel base is measuring from the middle of the inner bolt holes. So your bolts closer to the centre of your board, measuring the gap between them.

Oh, I’m actually in Whistler Canada right now so I don’t have my board with me. But I’m going to stay here for summer and they have a rad looking skate park here, so I was thinking about getting a new setup. Hopefully one that fits me better if there is such a thing. I bought the widest deck I could find last time but it was the same length as any board I’ve seen. I’ve never seen a longer than standard deck. A friend told me of a company that makes them but I can’t remember the brand. I hadn’t heard of them before.
Any ideas?

I just found a pretty cool setup guide site
http://skateboard.about.com/od/boardmaintenance/ss/ChoosingSkBoard_2.htm
Check it out if your thinking the same as me.
Hopefully one of the local stores stock some decks this big and some trucks to match

If anyone knows any particular brands that do longer /wider decks and trucks, post them up :D

hey mate

Anti Hero and Real should prob have some boards that are wide and also with a long wheelbase - long wheelbase being the most important factor here I think..! You will want at least a 15” wheelbase, if not bigger… I think Habitat & Workshop are making boards around that size too..but any (decent) shop staff should have an idea of which companies they stock and what may come close, but always measure that stuff before you commit!!
Good luck!

Thanks Ti, I’ll check it out and see what I can find smile

It may be harder in the Northern Hemisphere as some of the boards are especially made up for the Australian market. Real and Anti Hero are brands that make the boards the same as what the riders use, so easy to find a bigger board. Some Powell boards have a big wheel base, but may not be as wide.
Let us know how you go.

Will do. All the shops here are still in snow mode but the skate boards and summer stuff should come out soon.

Andy, when are you getting back to Australia? I thought you were coming back for winter?

I’m staying in Whistler for summer and then another winter… or at least that’s the plan

One thing I’ve noticed is that a lot of the companies who sponsor mainly transition and vert riders have wider models with longer wheelbases. Try companies like Birdhouse, Antihero, Creature and Plan B. A lot of those will go up to 8.5 or 8.75 width and 15” wheelbase. I found that Antiheros had a bigger nose than most boards, which increased the overall length a bit, but still not to sure on the wheelbase.

Stating the obvious, but a longboard might work wink I’m actually keen on getting one, looks so awesome for cruising, which will be perfect for me with all the hills in the Blue Mountains. Since coming back from Whistler I’m seeing them everywhere around Byron Bay, more than normal decks even.

lewis - 25 April 2011 07:53 AM

One thing I’ve noticed is that a lot of the companies who sponsor mainly transition and vert riders have wider models with longer wheelbases. Try companies like Birdhouse, Antihero, Creature and Plan B. A lot of those will go up to 8.5 or 8.75 width and 15” wheelbase. I found that Antiheros had a bigger nose than most boards, which increased the overall length a bit, but still not to sure on the wheelbase.

Yeah, pretty sure that along with Plan B, Alien Workshop and Habitat will have quality decks in larger sizes sorted, due to them bein all under tha same umbrella!!!!!

Hey hey, I bought a skateboard… and it fits me!!!
Now that all the shop here in Whistler are switching over to summer, I’ve been checking to sizing on every deck I could find and I found the biggest one I’ve seen… so I bought it lol.

It’s a good old Powell Mini Logo (they were making these things when I was 10!)
8.5 wide and the length is 33 and 1/4 or 1/2 i think
and I found some Independent trucks that were 150s that fit it really well.

I’m really stoked cause I haven’t skated for 2 years but I had a roll around on the park banks and quarters and in a few minutes I felt more cumfortable than I ever have on a skateboard. I think the width and length really do make a difference.

I found an anti-hero like you guys said that was almost as big too. But the mini logo was just a bit bigger and it was cheap :D