The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Watch the 2009 NZ Open live

golfpunklegend - 17 August 2009 06:41 AM

A quick search says that it is judged on amplitude, difficulty, landings, style and variety.

At such a wide criteria it’d be expected to be a fair difference in opinions between judges.

Theres no actual structure to the judging then.
the criteria i just listed basically sums up to “whatever floats the judges’ boats”

Most sports, no, activities based on judges are partial to the judges’ opinions. Certain areas it is more tightly regulated (eg. olympic diving) but each person is bound to have their own perception of what is difficult or ‘easy’.

nic - 17 August 2009 07:15 AM

Most sports, no, activities based on judges are partial to the judges’ opinions. Certain areas it is more tightly regulated (eg. olympic diving) but each person is bound to have their own perception of what is difficult or ‘easy’.

pretty much what i was getting at mate.
one judge could be like “woah thats a double backflip off the pipe” and the other could just be like “yeah…. landings not there i think ill give it to shaun white”

golfpunklegend - 17 August 2009 07:24 AM

one judge could be like “woah thats a double backflip off the pipe” and the other could just be like “yeah…. landings not there i think ill give it to shaun white”

Not exactly what I meant but jsut as relevant. I was making at ‘woah that’s a double backflip off the pipe’ and another judge ‘meh nothing special’ (although a double backflip off the pipe would be)

I dont think a “meh nothing special” would be highly justified for a comp with the world’s best riders in it… :]

Exaggerate example to show a point. I guess a pro may ride ‘amateur’ in a comp and be looked down upon for it though.

Funny that you mention “double back flip” because as I watch shaun’s final run over and over. I find it hard to count teh rotations. and see them more as flips than spins… I cant be the only one who thinks this… it is a fine line?

snowslider - 17 August 2009 08:40 AM

Funny that you mention “double back flip” because as I watch shaun’s final run over and over. I find it hard to count teh rotations. and see them more as flips than spins… I cant be the only one who thinks this… it is a fine line?

It’s a little like 2 baranis (flip and twist)

snowslider - 17 August 2009 08:40 AM

Well im honestly not very flash with the whole naming of tricks but i’d doubt the judges can name every trick he pulls on the halfpipe.
I see both flips and spins but i cant tell how many….