The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Stuck on an edge.

I have had the luxury to be the guy in snowboard school who assigns the lessons.
I have a group or learners that I call the “one edgers”.
We have all seen them, these are the newer riders that insist on turning to that same edge whenever they turn.

What are ways that either you yourselves have overcome this, or what have you done to encourage others out of this problem?

Do you mean they are already linking turns, but favourably on one edge? i.e. they make the turn but stay on their heel edge for longer to control speed and regain composure?

Or do you mean they do the sometimes called “falling leaf”
Across the run in their natural stance on their toeside edge, then instead of turning they just go back across the mountain backwards/switch on their toeside edge.
Then repeat.

If thats what your talking about i think its to do with the fear most beginners have of that transition of edges when turning.
Some beginners also find it easier to transition from a toe edge to heel edge, than a heel edge to a toe edge.
I think it all comes down to practice. Some of the beginners we have taken away with us find the “tea-pot” pose helpful.
Back hand on hip and front hand outstretched. Initiating the turns with your front arm.
Although i dont think this is anything unique, you see them doing it in the lessons quite a bit.

More of what Evan is saying.
They just continue to go back to that favorite edge over and over - they progress down the mountain and even go to other trails… but still only turn to that one edge - and would rather fall and roll over than to get on the other edge.

Any ideas on exercises to share about it?
I’ve got a couple ideas of my own, but I want to see what others come up with first.

The reason they are one edge more than the other is because they are stronger on that edge, and therefor they feel more comfortable/safer.

In my opinion the only real solution is bringing their other edge up to the same performance level as their favoured edge, through exercises, drills, and mileage.The best exercise being toeside pendulum (or heelside if they are stronger on their toes).

Snowboarding uses both edges equally. I always make sure I develop equal skills on both edges for my clients. It is too easy for them to become favourable on one edge. This will not help their progress.

I think a really good topic that touches on this issue is here: https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/203/

The real root of the problem is the fact they are stronger on one edge. The best thing to do is work on their weaker edge.

I’m interested to hear what your ideas are.

Well that topic seems to answer my own question… lol

I should share a few of the ideas, I guess, that I had when writing this.

I find that this is a problem that I encounter a lot.
Some new riders with little training seem to get to this point.

I find that simply forcing use of the weak edge is something works. I mean if someone pays $ to take a lesson, I dont want to have them simply do waht they usually do when riding - but to do something different and hopefully walk away after the lesson with something new.

So before teaching details of weight distrubution and when to bend what joint etc.
I just force them to use the other edge… side slip and falling leaf / pendulum exercises.

I often find myself returning to the favored edge and discovering the method they are using to control and move the board…
I try to point this out and then have them perform the movements consciously. (most riders are not conscious - not aware, of what they are doing that makes the board move… they dont think about it that much, they only know it works…) So. After identifying what works I flip them to the weak edge, and apply ‘what works’ to the other edge. This helps them feel a level of trust in the method they are applying to the new edge… they know it works for the favored edge.

I also use things like spinning while going down the hill, this helps with so many things including edge consciousness.

Other ideas are welcomed.

snowslider - 16 July 2009 10:01 PM

I just force them to use the other edge… side slip and falling leaf / pendulum exercises.

That’s the best thing to do in my opinion. I will try to get this done as early in the lesson as possible, get them to repeat a few times to develop the skills and confidence, then put it back into their riding.

I know not all instructors take this approach, but I really try to focus on their riding and improvement. It’s important to make sure they have fun, but essentially they are coming to a lesson to learn something new and to improve. I drill them early to build the skills and concepts, then they improve, and then they have fun… by that point they realise what we were doing was worthwhile, even if it wasn’t fun in the beginning. I see my job as helping clients improve their riding. Fun is a by-product of improvement.

I agree Jeremy - allthough I do agree with the mantra “Safety - fun - learning” and in that order of importance.
But yet I start with them displaying the skills they have. then I spend time on the weakness that I’d like to improve - then bring them back to their comfort skill level… and often return again to the weak edge - just because after that time of working on it - ignoring it, and going back to work on it, there will be improvement.

rider26 - 16 July 2009 11:35 AM

The reason they are one edge more than the other is because they are stronger on that edge, and therefor they feel more comfortable/safer.

In my opinion the only real solution is bringing their other edge up to the same performance level as their favoured edge, through exercises, drills, and mileage.The best exercise being toeside pendulum (or heelside if they are stronger on their toes).

Snowboarding uses both edges equally. I always make sure I develop equal skills on both edges for my clients. It is too easy for them to become favourable on one edge. This will not help their progress.

I think a really good topic that touches on this issue is here: https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/203/

The real root of the problem is the fact they are stronger on one edge. The best thing to do is work on their weaker edge.

I’m interested to hear what your ideas are.

I think this reply hits this question on the head really.

Having just being taught how to turn this last week I can relate to these ‘one edge riders’. I was definitely stronger on my heel side but the instructor I was with just told me to go for it. After a few falls (this might be the reason they’re so keen on the one edge) I finally got it; but it was rather daunting for the first few turns but then the fun factor increased dramatically.

Nic,
thanks for your input. Sadly after riding for many years most of us forget somethings about what it was like to learn - the details that is.

I remember my first days, of course they were amazing, but I was so unconscious of what I was doing.

So, you had an instructor kind of encouraging you to learn that weaker edge. This is good - and you’re right, when you over come it the fun factor does increase dramatically.
I’ve seen many make that transition.

I watch the rider and Learnin what methods they are using to turn and steer the board on the strong edge. I describe to them what they are doing, and again have them ride on teh strong edge, and think about the movements they are making, so they build confidence in those movements….
Then I encourage use of teh weaker edge, with those same movements. If it works (or if it gives them the confidence that it works) for the edge they like / the strong edge, then it is the best starting place for that weaker edge.
If I want to add a different technique, sometimes I return to teh strong edge and then ask them to apply the new technique… and tehn turn it around and ask them to apply that new technique to the weaker edge.

Yeah basically he told me to get on with it if I wanted to turn. Also it helped watching people turning just for the fact that it looks so much faster and more fun. Was a great motivator for me.