The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Wheel types

Hey, i was browsing though the <url=http://www.boneswheels.com/products/spring-2011/wheels>bones wheels site</url> and i noticed that they have a number of different ‘formulas’ for the wheels they provide. Just wondering what the difference between all terrain, street and OG, and how the surface of the wheel (smooth or treaded) changes how the board rides on surfaces like that brick-tile pattern around some places.

Im considering getting new gear, as ive had my current board for a fair while now, bordering on 3-4 years. I didnt exactly treat it well, as its my first board, and now its getting on in years, (At least, looking at it, it seems to be worn out)

Engine deck
GM trucks
bearings more than likely abec 3’s
and the wheels i cant remember, they seem like generic starter wheels.

My other question is, should i just get a completely new set up, and avoid using my old board that has bearings ruined by the salt air, or just replace the necessary parts as they die.

Cheers

If you can afford it, I’d say its time for an all new set up. I find trucks last the longest, but the wheels, bearings and board would have to be pretty dead after 3-4 years.

The quickest I remember going through a deck was a couple hours :( Never got an Enjoi deck again…

yeah, im thinking i may as well.

what kind of equipments do you recommend? I have heard good things about Zero, but i dont know much in the ways of trucks, bearings and wheels.

thanks for the help

It’s been awhile, so there are probably people on here that could make better recs. But I’ll give you my thoughts.

For decks I usually went for the blank ones, nice and cheap ($50-$70) wink I tried many different decks and I found the blanks seemed to last about just as long as the $100-$120 brand ones. I did have a knack for landing on my tail too much though wink The blanks are pretty boring if you care for the graphic though. Zero I’ve heard are good though.

For bearings I always liked the bones reds, good price and quality.

Can’r really remember the trucks and wheels I used, sorry. My last set of wheels were spitfire and I liked them.

Hope that’s of some help. No doubt at your local shop they can steer you in the right direction too.

Dan83 - 07 March 2011 03:58 AM

It’s been awhile, so there are probably people on here that could make better recs. But I’ll give you my thoughts.

For decks I usually went for the blank ones, nice and cheap ($50-$70) wink I tried many different decks and I found the blanks seemed to last about just as long as the $100-$120 brand ones. I did have a knack for landing on my tail too much though wink The blanks are pretty boring if you care for the graphic though. Zero I’ve heard are good though.

For bearings I always liked the bones reds, good price and quality.

Can’r really remember the trucks and wheels I used, sorry. My last set of wheels were spitfire and I liked them.

Hope that’s of some help. No doubt at your local shop they can steer you in the right direction too.

Yeah, it does help a bit. Ive decided to get bones red or bones super reds, and hopefully bones stf or spitfire wheels. in ways of a deck i think ill go zero or find a blank one cheap. truck wise ill probably go thunder.

sucks that i dont have any really skate specific shops around my area, though i havnt fully checked out xtreme in wollongong. Ill have to do that later today or friday maybe.

thanks for the help dan, ill let you know the details when i get my new board!

Dork - 06 March 2011 08:05 AM

Hey, i was browsing though the <url=http://www.boneswheels.com/products/spring-2011/wheels>bones wheels site</url> and i noticed that they have a number of different ‘formulas’ for the wheels they provide. Just wondering what the difference between all terrain, street and OG, and how the surface of the wheel (smooth or treaded) changes how the board rides on surfaces like that brick-tile pattern around some places.

Im considering getting new gear, as ive had my current board for a fair while now, bordering on 3-4 years. I didnt exactly treat it well, as its my first board, and now its getting on in years, (At least, looking at it, it seems to be worn out)

Engine deck
GM trucks

My other question is, should i just get a completely new set up, and avoid using my old board that has bearings ruined by the salt air, or just replace the necessary parts as they die.

Cheers

Hey there Dork

Sorry I haven’t been on the forum for a bit was in the midst of getting to Canada.

GM trucks I am sorry to say are really poor trucks. Thunders are good, Theeve also as well as destructo D2.

Bones reds, super reds and modus titanium are some of the choices I use for a street board.

Deck some folklores are cheap as right now and brands like zero have dropped the price point decks too.

Now the bones wheels. ATF (All Terrain Formula), are a softer compound with a hard core for bearing seat great for rolling on rough surfaces. Great for cruising and people filming.

STF (Street Tech Formula) Awesome street wheels, roll soft but are hard as and perfect for cess sliding.

OG are the 100’s and work well for all round skating slide perfect and don’t flat spot. Great value for the money as well.

C J Parker - 07 March 2011 05:14 AM
Dork - 06 March 2011 08:05 AM

Engine deck
GM trucks

Cheers

Hey there Dork

Sorry I haven’t been on the forum for a bit was in the midst of getting to Canada.

GM trucks I am sorry to say are really poor trucks. Thunders are good, Theeve also as well as destructo D2.

Bones reds, super reds and modus titanium are some of the choices I use for a street board.

Deck some folklores are cheap as right now and brands like zero have dropped the price point decks too.

Now the bones wheels. ATF (All Terrain Formula), are a softer compound with a hard core for bearing seat great for rolling on rough surfaces. Great for cruising and people filming.

STF (Street Tech Formula) Awesome street wheels, roll soft but are hard as and perfect for cess sliding.

OG are the 100’s and work well for all round skating slide perfect and don’t flat spot. Great value for the money as well.

yeah. i noticed that about the gm trucks. Im considering getting thunders, but ill keep theeve and destructo in mind when i check out the skate shop. Im guessing ATFs STFs and OGs can all handle tricks and stuff. Should i get OG’s if im going to be riding on rough and smooth surfaces, as it seems to be an all rounder?

thanks for the info, hopefully my local will have the stuff i want!

Mizu Kuma - 07 March 2011 10:30 AM

Ya might wanna get into Extreme as soon as, dork!!!!

Unfortunately the owner isn’t with us anymore, and his family don’t wish to continue running the business!!!!! (As far as I know!!!!)

Not the best way to get a deal, but you will be helping them to achieve their goal, so in a way it wont be that bad!!!!

I’ll second the Thunders and Destructo’s as well!!!! And Spitfires are Good Wheels, Zero Great Decks along with the Modus Titanium’s!!!!

Get the best that ya budget can endure!!!! Quality will last as well as performin better, ya just gotta take care of it and treat it right to get the best life out of it!!!!

ill see how it goes getting in tomorrow then!

I know STM has a very good range of Bones and other top skate brands. You can always call them and order online: http://www.stmonline.com.au/ - free shipping on orders over $50.

If you want an all rounder the best thing to do is get a set of 55, 56mm because the wheels roll better on the rougher surfaces. The OG and STF are the better wheels for street skating.

Mizu Kuma - 07 March 2011 11:46 AM
Dork - 07 March 2011 10:50 AM
Mizu Kuma - 07 March 2011 10:30 AM

Ya might wanna get into Extreme as soon as, dork!!!!

Unfortunately the owner isn’t with us anymore, and his family don’t wish to continue running the business!!!!! (As far as I know!!!!)

Not the best way to get a deal, but you will be helping them to achieve their goal, so in a way it wont be that bad!!!!

I’ll second the Thunders and Destructo’s as well!!!! And Spitfires are Good Wheels, Zero Great Decks along with the Modus Titanium’s!!!!

Get the best that ya budget can endure!!!! Quality will last as well as performin better, ya just gotta take care of it and treat it right to get the best life out of it!!!!

ill see how it goes getting in tomorrow then!

Might even wanna give em a call before ya go, just to make sure they are still on sale and got plenty of good skate stuff left!!!!! (Might save ya a unnecessary trip???)

i suppose, but im going into uni anyway today, so i can stop by and check it out.

Uuunfotunately it wasnt open. had a sign saying it will be closed for several days. was slightly disappointed about that.

hey dork (!)

how did your board-searching go? Did you find/purchase anything yet??  I feel that most of the suggestions above are fairly correct, as well as other stuff out there too, btu there is a good spectrum of (the best) stuff there..
Anyway, there is a new shop opening this week just a few minutes walk east-south-east of Extreme’s premises, and there is also Society in Dapto that have a bunch of good skate stuff too..

Let us know how you go!!
cheers

Ti Coleing - 21 March 2011 01:53 AM

hey dork (!)

how did your board-searching go? Did you find/purchase anything yet??  I feel that most of the suggestions above are fairly correct, as well as other stuff out there too, btu there is a good spectrum of (the best) stuff there..
Anyway, there is a new shop opening this week just a few minutes walk east-south-east of Extreme’s premises, and there is also Society in Dapto that have a bunch of good skate stuff too..

Let us know how you go!!
cheers

So far, not that good. But this info of a new shop near Extreme makes me pleased. Ill have to check out Society as well, thanks for the info!