The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Need a board

Yo!

I’m keen to buy a skateboard here in Melbourne before I return to NZ in early March,

Where’s the best place online to order one (before BW starts selling ofcourse)?

Hey Matty Bee welcome aboard boardworld. If you are chilling in melbourne there are some great skate shops down there. Boardworld is all about steering you in the right direction for your purchases, but heavily supportive of local board stores. If you are keen on some advice on a board feel free to post questions.
Price, size and so forth???

Cheers mate,

Not too sure on price, hence my thread - figured you lot would know where i’d find a good range and a good deal on a complete setup.
$150-200 I’m guessing, judging by internet prices.

I don’t need anything too fancy, I’m 25 and it’s been almost a decade since I’ve owned one. I just want one to humm around on down to work and back, plus my new house has a halfpipe in the backyard that’s going to be re-ply’d hopefully soon.

I’ve got swimmers feet, so was thinking an 8” would be good for both cruising and ramp.

The main question I need answered, is what are the decent quality brands these days? Like I said, it’s been a while and I’m out of touch with whats worth buying and whats cheap crap with a fancy label and a commercial following.

I used to hang out at Yodgee’s back in the day, down Puckle St. But they’ve been closed for quite a while now.

Look at brands not manufacturing their boards in China. A lot of the big name brands are not pressing their decks in China and still charging you premium dollars for it.

Zero makes quality skateboards and they are not manufactured in China.

If you have bigger feet the bigger board does make sense, especially if you are planning on doing some ramp riding. Gives you more stability.

With getting a complete board it is more cost effective but the flip-side is you don’t get to choose the set up. Meaning you may end up with some trucks that aren’t that great.

Trucks, when it comes to getting a set up, spend the money on trucks then build up from there. A more expensive truck turns better and when it comes to grinding they last longer and grind smoother. Some good trucks are Thunder, the original raws are good and not too expensive. Destructo D2 are awesome trucks also. A set of good trucks will set you back about $100.

Bearings, bones reds or modus abec 3 are good bearings for the price. Usually around $30 for a set and are good robust bearings. They will roll longer and smoother when you get good bearings.

Wheels, a set around the $40-$60 mark are good. Some wheels can be very average, generally bones, mini logo and pig are some good wheels to go for.

Deck, if you are trying to save coin don’t spend heaps on this cause it is usually the first thing to die on your set up. Some companies like Zero, do a PP (Price Point) deck which is the same as a pro board just not a full graphic or pro name on it. Other than that some Aussie companies are the cheaper option to go for, some are Four, Folklore, Passport and GMTA to name a few.

rider26 - 21 February 2011 11:10 PM

Look at brands not manufacturing their boards in China. A lot of the big name brands are not pressing their decks in China and still charging you premium dollars for it.

Can’t beat canadian maple!!!

Mizu Kuma - 22 February 2011 08:02 AM
cabletieperformance - 22 February 2011 08:00 AM

That’s the stuff!!!!! Takes more punishment and keeps it’s pop longer!!!!!

All reputable brands I know of use Canadian Maple wood, but many of them still press the decks in China. You would be surprised how many brands do it.

You could be right but I think all the reputable brands still use Canadian maple, even if they are pressing in China. CJ should be able to clear this up.

Venture trucks are the bomb and can also recomend modus bearings as for a deck I am currently riding a choclate deck which is very nice (Marc Johnson sig). My old deck was a toy machine which I really liked. Worth having a look at toy machine imo

Mizu Kuma - 22 February 2011 10:35 PM
rider26 - 22 February 2011 06:25 PM
Mizu Kuma - 22 February 2011 08:02 AM
cabletieperformance - 22 February 2011 08:00 AM

That’s the stuff!!!!! Takes more punishment and keeps it’s pop longer!!!!!

All reputable brands I know of use Canadian Maple wood, but many of them still press the decks in China. You would be surprised how many brands do it.

I could be wrong, but I thought that decks in China were also manufactured from their own plantation timber, that is somewhat inferior due to how it grows in their climate, as opposed to a slower growth Canadian timber!!!!

Some of them have been known to substitute some of the veneers in the board, to cut cost and maximise their profit margin.

There are some companies that are using chinese presses to minimise the cost of theirs boards, or for the cheaper boards in their range. A lot of them are smaller skate run companies with the owners of the company themselves riding the decks. So the quality has improved for a lot of these brands thanks to the feed back of the riders.

Some are using imported canadian maple, with good glues and presses. So the quality is getting there. On saying that I will still love a good pressed board any day.

Some big companies are doing chinese press for the mass consumer market, but making good US/Mexico for the pro riders to have.

Good work on getting back into skating. I’d reccommend just going into a good skate shop (not too sure what shops there are in Melbourne) and just telling them your price range, preference, what you’ll be riding. Most of the guys would have been riding for years and tried a lot of different setups. The only other advice I could give you is to get medium-hard wheels for cruising and skating ply. Go for something 90-95 duro, as they’ll grip but won’t bog down too much on your mini.

The main skate stores in melbourne are ‘fast times’ there is one in the city, one in frankston and one in highpoint shopping centre.
I’m not sure what you’re after but I know folklore are now selling their full graphic boards for under $60.

I’m not sure what you’re after but I know folklore are now selling their full graphic boards for under $60.

Which is great considering they have decent shapes and concave. I know the cold press recently had a change in production with the shapes, to give the boards longer length and wheel base to match the width. They are a china made board, which is not a hidden fact. Upon saying that the quality is good and the pricing is great, so that is a helpful part to keeping the price down on a board.