The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Living in Canada (especially Whistler)

Hey eveyrone,

I need your help!

We’re moving to Whistler this winter and super stoked! We’re going with WHC and have our two year visa so are all good for the first two years (yay) but I just have a few questions about staying there long term.

So we want to go travelling Asia and Aus at some point,  so thinking stay for year and a half in Canada then travelling, then coming back for 6 months on our working holiday visa, giving us time to find jobs and apply for residency. I’ve seen the express entry system but I’m not sure what the likelihood of us getting it is and I’ve seen it can take a while. My husband is a Landscaper so might be ok, but I don’t really have a career yet as such aha. Is there any other way we can work in Canada without being residents? Also, people who have got residency, what do you do as a job and how did you find the process?

I know I’m super keen and looking really far ahead but I think we’ll love it so much we just wanna stay forevaaaaaa. Aha.

Thanks so much for any help!!!

Oh also, I’m going for a retail job in Whistler and especially want to work in showcase, has anyone here worked there before? Any tips for whistler interviews?

Thanks smile

Elisa x

Hey Elisa,

I’m stoked everything seems to have worked out and you will be making it over to Whistler.

With the WHC, don’t they guarantee you a job? Or is this pending interviews and availability etc?

I know Showcase well and I’ve had friends work there before. Do you have any retail experience? Is the WHC able to line up an interview for you with them? Showcase is owned by WB so I’m sure they can find a way. They will typically look for experienced sales staff but it’s not impossible to get into.

I’m fairly certain that any time travelling outside of Canada while you have your work visa will count towards time on your work visa. i.e. they won’t suspend the visa while you are out of the country. Something to keep in mind.

There are two ways to work in Canada: work visa or residency. You or your husband can try to get sponsored in your respective jobs (pretty sure if one of you is sponsored, the other also gets a visa through the spouse. I’m guessing you are Australian citizens?

In regards to residency, it’s hard to say. I know a lot of people who got their residency through various means and rarely was it easy. Also, the rules and regulations are always changing; sometimes it’s harder, sometimes it’s easier.

I recently received my PR through the spousal route (my wife is Canadian), but even so, I found we needed expert guidance. We didn’t pay much but we did have two consultations with an immigration lawyer who is very well known in Whistler. If you are serious about residency, I would highly recommend booking an initial consultation with her. It was worth every cent and put us on the easiest path. Her name is Jenny Perez and she is awesome. http://www.pmimmigration.com/

I hope that helps. ?

Thanks so much for your reply!

Its super exciting! Our flight is 26th October and counting down the days!

Yes I have interviews for retail with WB on 25th July, eek! Showcase is definitely my first choice, but obviously will be happy with anything. I have a lot of sales experience as well as retail so fingers crossed! I think we are pretty much guaranteed a job though which is amazing, but the interviews are just to make sure we’re right and to decide where we will be placed. Obviously if they hated us they can say they don’t want us though.

“I’m fairly certain that any time travelling outside of Canada while you have your work visa will count towards time on your work visa. i.e. they won’t suspend the visa while you are out of the country. Something to keep in mind.”
Thanks so much for letting me know about this!

We’re from England so not sure if the immigration is the same? Hopefully sponsorship is an option, I’m guessing a lot of people go down this route. I have notices Canadian immigration like to change things up often joy  I’ve read through the website so much but it doesn’t really make much sense!

Thank you so much that was so helpful! will defo check her out thank you.

Hope your enjoying Whistler summer relaxed

Elisa x

Rider26, thank you for sharing. I will need a work permit in Canada soon. As for moving, I would like to ask you to give me the contacts of a trusted moving company in Canada. Because we want to transport a lot of things and some furniture with us. We will order a container for this, but we will need good movers who will deliver our things to the new house. Here we use the services of only one moving company (this one airvanmoving.com) that we trust. They transported our items professionally and carefully, and delivered them safely. And we never lost anything on the way. I have heard that this happens if the company has inexperienced movers. That’s why we are so excited about this issue and we want a good company to take care of our things.

thanks

Canada is a very cool country both in its weather and in its activities. Thanks to this website for sharing such a nice article on the weather of canada. This article can be helpful to people in choosing their living station and now students can find instant assignment help for me in order to complete the task. Thanks for sharing this article with us.