The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Me, my shark, and I

“The day before I shot this video, i was SUP surfing with a couple friends and 2 sharks circled us for about 15 minutes. the next day, i decided to go back out at around the same time and take my GO PRO HD HERO camera (gopro.com) mounted on a 10 ft pole and do some exploring.

Sure enough within 5 minutes a 9 ft shark came out of no where and circled twice and slapped his tail on my board before disappearing. then a minute later a 7 ft young juvenile Great White swam circles around me for 12 minutes. It was an unreal experience that I will cherish forever.”

- Chuck Patterson

haha thats pretty cool, i liked the sound to sept i felt a bit dizzy at the start

Rider,

I was afraid that you had a run-in with a shark or something.
whew!

that was pretty hectoid & not something I would enjoy!

Was he on a kayak or paddle board or something? Great vid!

Sharks are scary, but they don’t stop me getting in the water.

Hey Mizu have you or someone you know been “tasted”. You seem obsessed.

Pretty sure he was on a standup paddleboard. I’ve surfed for years and have never seen one and hardly ever even think about them. Plenty of dolphins, whales, penguins, the odd seal etc but never seen a shark. I’m sure they’ve been there too (even more sure after seeing this vid!) but not something I think about.

NO WAY MAN, that dude is crazy loco!!!!!!!! cool grin

Hey Cords ever been fishing on a boast around your home? I’m sure you’ve gone to Headies Hotel for a beer and chatted to the local fishermen. It’s stumbling distance after all!

The fisho’s won’t even swim at the beach because of the monsters they’ve seen. I’ve fished off Headies and Sharkies and you don’t catch anything but shark there. If we were on the menu there would be a lot of “tastings” as Mizu puts it. Never wondered why they call it “Sharkies”?

I’m the same, “just don’t think about it”. It’s hard when your the only person in the water on a mirky day and beaches had been closed recently. Sharks attack from behind (apparently) so the one that gets you you wont see anyway!

I think statistically as a surfer your more likely to have your back broken by a Dolphin miss judging a jump out of a wave and landing on you than being killed by a shark.

Definitely more likely to be injured by another surfer.

Personally I would rather be eaten by a Great White than spend a week dying in hospital, on life support, in pain. To me it’s nature and a grand, majestic way to end.

hey I’m not saying they aren’t out there….I’m sure they are! I’ve just never seen them.\
Fished a bit off headies and seen & heard of a few sharks caught but there is plenty of salmon, bream etc, too! We have a little tinny we take out sometimes on lake-like days and I haven’t seen a shark then yet either. Fingers crossed it stays that way cos I’m not at all keen!
I generally don’t surf by myself, although on clear days when its small and hitting the reef nicely I’ve been known to…or maybe stay out an extra half hour, or paddle out half an hour before I know a mate is coming….doesn’t happen often though.

Surf with one other person and it halves the chances.
wink

check this out insaneeeeeeee!!!!!!

how narley is it>>> i would never in a million yrs!!
but i was a sea world the other day and grab a little shark to show my neices lol

Matty will tell you that when we go out, what I do doesn’t resemble surfing as much as it resembles an injured animal flailing around in the water, so it surprises me that I’ve never had a close encounter.  LOL

Seen a few dolphins up close when I was lidding as a youngster. They always make you jump when you first spot them.