The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Do snowboard helmets sold in Australia need to have an Australian Standards sticker?

Do snowboard helmets sold in Australia need to have an Australian Standards sticker?

I think it may be the case for bicycle helmets - eg a person who has a crash and injures themselves on their bike may have a claim contested or refused by their insurance company if they weren’t wearing a helmet with an AS sticker.(??)

Just wondering if this is a thing with ski/snowboard helmets?

and what if you have a stack when overseas?

Note this - unfortunately - isn’t a troll post. I would be pissed off if my travel insurance won’t cover me if I smack a tree with a non AS sticker helmet.

Does anyone know the regulations/rules in that regard?

Cheers
MM

From my understanding Helmets are not a legal requirement most places for snowsports but are a common sense item.

I don’t stack very often these days but when I do I am not going slow and thank that I have one on

My travel insurance said as long as I am not competing and its only recreational they would cover any claims (no mention of helmet anywhere) but if you are concerned ask your insurance company in writing

Shrike - 10 May 2019 04:45 PM

From my understanding Helmets are not a legal requirement most places for snowsports but are a common sense item.

I don’t stack very often these days but when I do I am not going slow and thank that I have one on

My travel insurance said as long as I am not competing and its only recreational they would cover any claims (no mention of helmet anywhere) but if you are concerned ask your insurance company in writing

Good point, would be best to ask insurance company in writing/email. Cheers!