The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

New board help and suggestions!

Hi friends!

Hoping to get some help deciding on my next board. I currently have a 2014 Burton Lipstick 154. I love to just cruise around the mountain, but have been known to ride through the park (still very beginner, maybe hit 1 or 2 small boxes, have ridden over small jumps, so nothing crazy and probably won’t ever excel at this!) and enjoy a small dabble in fresh pow if there is any, but not hugely confident in this either!

So hoping to get some suggestions on what my next ride should be. I am 5 foot 10, weigh roughly 80-85kg at the moment, but hoping to get down in weight too. My current boot is a Nitro Monarch US10.5. I am currently in Canada but will mostly ride at Perisher, if that also helps with narrowing it down.

I’ve been told to check out CAPiTA Birds of a Feather, and Union Juliet bindings, but unsure what else might be better or worthwhile as well.

Thanks for taking the time to read and look forward to seeing what some peeps have to say!

Welcome to BW, @marysocontrary!

My biggest concern would be your boot size. You might need to look at some unisex boards like the YES. Basic to get a bit more waist width under your feet. I would also consider a binding like the Now IPO.

Thoughts, @amine?

Hey @marysocontrary  welcome to the forums!

I agree with @rider26  in that the board’s Waist Width should be a major consideration in this purchase.  Sadly, a women’s 10.5 boot is likely to limit your options for Women’s boards (without experiencing toe / heal overhang, and then disruption to your turning ability), so you should start looking at unisex boards that will deliver the versatile all mtn performance you seek (that are also matched for someone of your height & weight & ability).

The BASIC from YES. Snowboards is one of (if not the) most versatile boards on the market today.  It can be ridden in ALL types of terrain - from park riding to resort carving to deep pow, and it has a cooperative flex (that is thus very easy to ride & progress on).  However, it is still very solid and stable at higher speeds, and that is why it is our best selling board. 

And pairing this board up with a Now binding will not only help you get a more responsive set up, but it will also ensure that your foot fatigue is far lower.  They are a super comfortable binding - that still is truly very responsive!

I hope this info helps - and please don’t hesitate to hit me up if you have any more questions!