The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Need help picking a snowboard to fit my size

Hi everyone,

I have been snowboarding for a few seasons, current at the beginning of intermedia level and now decided to get my own board but it is very hard to find a men board to fit me.

My first question is should I get a women board?

Height: 168cm / 5.6”
Weight: 128lbs / 58kg
Boots size: 6.5-7US
Based on my research, my board width should be around 236-245mm and I’m thinking to get a 145-149cm board.

In most men board, they are either too long or too width referring to my research.

I’m aiming to get an all-mountain board, twin, rocker/camber/rocker profile, and mid flex. Mainly on craving and practicing my switch.

The board I’m thinking to get are
Never summer proto type two women
OR
Bataleon Push Up

The only concern is they are not camber/rocker/camber profile, any advice or other recommendations?

Many Thanks!!

Welcome to BOARDWORLD, @Ming08!

To answer your first question, no, I don’t think you should get a women’s board. You just need to find an appropriately sized board for your specs. I wouldn’t get overly hung up on the waist width, although it’s definitely something to keep in mind.

I immediately thought of the YES. Basic 149. I honestly feel this board is exactly what you’re after. CamRock profile, true twin, mid flex, super versatile, lifetime warranty, and the sizing is spot on. It has a 248mm waist but this is NOT too wide for you. Having a bit extra waist width is going to be an advantage for carving! You’ll also have a bit more float in pow. But honestly, I wouldn’t hesitate with a 248mm waist width. This would be an epic board for you.

Check it out and let me know if you have any questions.
https://www.boardworld.com.au/products/yes-basic-149-snowboard-2019

@amine, what do you think?

Hey guys - I completely agree with @rider26.

So I actually ride a size 8 mens boot, and choose to ride a board waist width of 250mm (the Basic 152 and Basic Decade 152) and this waist width is definitely not too wide for my foot size. If anything, this extra width is an advantage - as it provides more surface area for floatation in pow, more surface area (therefore stability) for jumping / landing, and the extra waist width means that I never ‘boot out’ (lose edge contact because of boot over hang) when I am carving.

I hope this info helps!  And feel free to hit me up if you have any more questions.
And MANY THANKS AGAIN for supporting YES.

rider26 - 11 October 2018 08:57 PM

Welcome to BOARDWORLD, @Ming08!

To answer your first question, no, I don’t think you should get a women’s board. You just need to find an appropriately sized board for your specs. I wouldn’t get overly hung up on the waist width, although it’s definitely something to keep in mind.

I immediately thought of the YES. Basic 149. I honestly feel this board is exactly what you’re after. CamRock profile, true twin, mid flex, super versatile, lifetime warranty, and the sizing is spot on. It has a 248mm waist but this is NOT too wide for you. Having a bit extra waist width is going to be an advantage for carving! You’ll also have a bit more float in pow. But honestly, I wouldn’t hesitate with a 248mm waist width. This would be an epic board for you.

Check it out and let me know if you have any questions.
https://www.boardworld.com.au/products/yes-basic-149-snowboard-2019

@amine, what do you think?

I deeply appreciate both of your advice. This would be great because I have looked into Yes. Basic before and the waist width is the reason for me to give up this idea. If the extra width actually is good for me then I’m definitely going for it.

Two follow up question:
1. I’m thinking to get the Union Force binding, do you think it is a good choice and would it match well with Yes. Basic?
2. Other than Yes. Basic, would there be another board is good for me? Because I’m not able to shop for my snowboard until December and I wonder the size I want may not be available, hoping to get a backup plan.

Thank you for all of your advice

No worries at all, @Ming08. That’s what we’re here for! ?

The Union Force is a solid binding. They will work really well with the Basic. If you’re stoked on them, go for it.

Honestly, I can’t think of a better-suited board than the Basic 149 based on what you’ve told us.

Sending you a PM now.

Thank you very much for your help @rider26

All set for me, just wait for December to shop and the winter season started….Many Thanks..^_^