The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

New Board/Setup Help!

Hey guys, I just moved back up North after living down South for the last 5 years, and I’m dying to get back on the mountains. I haven’t been on a board in the last 6 years and am starting from scratch again with little knowledge.

Im 6’1, around 170 lbs, size 12 shoe, and I have two years of previous experience all with a single board. The board I use to ride was a 162 (or 163) Burton Canyon, that’s all I can remember. I have to get an entire new setup now, and I remember feeling like the canyon was way too long for me. I didn’t really hit the park too often, mainly just trails and the jumps/moguls that were on them. I just enjoyed flying around the trails, carving it up and doing switches/180s.
Right now I have no direction or idea of where to even start my search. Some things I am wondering and trying to get advice on are:

1. Length (pretty sure I’m only looking at W because of my foot size)
-Does a 158-159 seem alright? Could I possibly go a little shorter? I’m not sure how drastic of a change this would be from my old board.

2. Stance?
-I know nothing about stance and have no idea how my bindings were set before. I think I would like if my feet were a little more straight as opposed to duck, but can I mess around with this once I actually get some gear?
-My comfortable stance width is around 20 inches (inside foot to inside foot).
-I like to think that I need equal length and tips on both ends.

3. Type (regular mountain/flex?)
-I have no idea about cambers, and not sure if it would even make a difference for someone like me. Also, I think an all mountain board would work best as this would be my only board.

4. Bindings
-Are certain bindings important for certain styles or can I just go out and buy any kind to throw onto my board?

I would consider myself above a beginner, but I am definitely not very good because I haven’t been on a board in a long time.

Please let me know if there is anything else that I should know, look for, or get. Any advice/ideas/guidance that you guys may be able to provide would be GREATLY appreciated.

Welcome to BOARDWORLD, @YellowMellow!

Sorry for not responding sooner. Did you end up purchasing a board?

1. Don’t worry too much about “wide” or not wide, but pay attention to the actual waist width in mm. 158-159 sounds fine for your height and weight, however, there’s a range of sizes you could comfortably ride depending on riding style, riding locations etc. Could you comfortably go a little shorter? For sure you could. You’ll sacrifice stability and float, but you will gain playfulness and maneuverability. Weigh up which characteristics are most important to you.

2. Read this and let me know if you have any questions. I will say this: 20” is VERY narrow for your height.

3. Read this and let me know if you have any questions.

4. It’s best to match bindings to the type of board you decide to get and your riding style. How aggressively do you ride? Stiffer bindings will give you more response.

Let me know if you have any questions.