The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Whistler 2018 advice

Hi there,

Im travelling to Canada in November to hopefully work in Whistler for the season. Im having a bit of trouble finding information on securing a job without going through an agency.
I have noticed jobs are available for four seasons resort but I am not sure if these jobs come with staff housing and I am not sure if I can apply if Im not planning on starting until November. Also yoh must have a face to face interview- some posts have said a skype call van be arranged… is this also an option without going through an agency?
Going to canada early for the job fair is not an option as I will be in Nepal in October.
I have looked into “The Working Holiday Cub” which does guarentee you a job but I am wanting to do it independently to save a bit of money. Obviously I will bite the bullet if I cannot do it myslef.

Would anyone have any advice on where to start?
I have my Port of entry so i am able to apply for jobs.

Thank you in advance.
Meg x

Welcome to BW, @Megstra123!

Honestly, Whistler has become such a battlefield for accommodation. Getting a job isn’t the challenge as the resort is super busy but is struggling to house its staff. So, I would suggest doing whatever you can to secure accommodation.

Your two main options to secure accommodation early are either: getting a job with WB via the Job Fair and thus getting into Staff Housing; or going with TWHC. In years past I wouldn’t have suggested TWHC as you can save money doing it on your own, but if you can’t make it to the Job Fair, it’s probably your only safe bet. At least this way you know you’re sorted.

Regarding the hotels, some may offer staff housing, but from what I’ve heard from those who have done this is they wouldn’t recommend it. The work isn’t fun and staff accommodation is far from comfortable.

Best of luck! ?

Do you think it is too late on in the year for a decent job with TWHC?
Ive been reading some of your other posts that say how TWHC give jobs out super early.

Have you ever heard of BUNAC and have any opinion? Which would you suggest? I am going to go with one of them.. just struggling to decide which..

Thanks. Meg x

Do you think it is too late on in the year for a decent job with TWHC?
Ive been reading some of your other posts that say how TWHC give jobs out super early.

Not sure. Best to ask them directly.

Have you ever heard of BUNAC and have any opinion? Which would you suggest? I am going to go with one of them.. just struggling to decide which..

Never heard of them, to be honest.

Hey meg,

My friend just did a season in whistler and it was at four seasons. They do have staff housing. I went and visited and its pretty nice.

Hope that helps smile

Hey Meg,

First of all, let me start by saying this… Whistler is an absolute wonderland and moving to Whistler for 2 years was the best decision I have ever made.

That being said, accommodation is a MASSIVE problem though. On the other hand, jobs are somewhat abundant (people are always coming and leaving, positions are always opening). But you won’t get employment unless you have accommodation and usually the other way around too.

I’d say your best option for housing would be to go with the WHC. November is FAR too late to arrive and find private accommodation. I think job fairs for 4S and Fairmont are at the beginning of November, both of these provide housing but competition is fierce, the conditions aren’t great and you’ll most likely be housekeeping. Fairmont housing is located right next to WB (Vail) housing, great location and you’ll have room parties every night, literally. 4S housing is located below the hotel in the Upper Village, which is also a pretty awesome location.

Once you’re sorted with accommodation, everything gets easier and starts to fall into place. Try to get out and talk to as many people as possible, make lots of friends. Whistler is all about who you know not what you know, flashy resumes don’t usually get you far.

Best of luck.

Well, my friend is just from Canada. He told me a lot of interesting things about employment. Unlike Japan, Canada values people from abroad. If you know French, it’s good for you. If you want to find a job without an agency, then you have to look at work from home. Read many forums about this and find people who are also settled. For example, my friend contacted people from here yourmoneygeek.com and he had all the information he needed. Just as often, employers post vacancies on Instagram. Good luck!