The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Post your equipment

I’m interested to know what everyone uses for their photography / filming. Even the software you use for editing would be interesting to know.

I’ll kick things off which my own gear.

Camera’s

Nikon D5300
Nikon D3200
Drift HD

The main camera I use is the Nikon D5300 for most filming / photography. Really nice camera with a flip out which makes working those tricky angles much easier being able to flip + twist the screen for live view. The only downside is it doesn’t have autofocus when filming. Not the best camera to use when trying to follow film. e.g. filming a snowboarding line.

Len’s

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6
AF Nikkor 50mm f/ 1.8D
AF Nikkor 70-300mm f/ 4-5.6
AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm f/ 3.5 -5.6

The 50mm is by far my favourite lens. I try to use it as much as possible although due to its limited range it can’t always be used. The sigma 10-20mm is also a great wide angle lens. 10mm is about as wide as you can go without the shot turning into a fisheye look. Mostly used for star gazing & follow filming.

Exra Equipment / software

Tripod - Mefoto travel
Software - Premiere Pro CC 2014, After Effects CC 2014 & Photoshop CC 2014 (very new to photoshop)
steadycam - nano flycam DSLR (currently borrowing)

The Mefoto travel is a really sweet amateur tripod. It’s equipped with a ball head & pan tilt making it super easy to achieve loads of creative shots. It’s quiet lightweight making it easy to travel around with, also comes with a small hook attachment for increasing weight to increase steadiness of shot.

There’s a bunch of gear i’d be interested to know if anyone has / has used before and what they think of it;
-Motion controllers (digital or analog)
-Professional video camcorders
-Decent camera bags

movie_camera  cool  movie_camera

Try this thread;
https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/342

After a few days I might merge this to the above.

Stills;
analog;
kodak baby brownie (bakelite)
canon A1 1977 (first camera with digital metering)
Nikon SLR 1991

digital;
Nikon D70 (old DSLR I think 2002)
Nikon D300

lenses;
18-70mm
70-300mm
55-200 slide zoom (x2)
Sigma 600mm (analog) mirror macro lens 1:8 (on digi body +1200mm)
Nikon ED 14-24mm f2.8 (my most expensive lens)

video;
Canon XL1s
Canon XHA1

Wearable Cameras;
VIO POV.1.5 (universal shutter) (x4), VIO POV.HD (x3), Drift HD, Drift Ghost (x2), ReplayXD1080, ReplayPrime
RageCam bullet camera 580 horiz line (analog)

lights;
hotshoe speedlight (x2)
Elinchrom studio lights (x6)
hotshoe canon video light

Heap of reflectors/diffusers.
Manfrotto AutoPole, Manfrotto Fluid Head (video tripod), light stands (x8), some cheap tripods/monopods.
Paper Backdrops (x10)

Software;
Photoshop elements 6 (mac)
Aperture
Final Cut Studio 7
Mpeg streamclip

Hardware;
Canon Pixma IP4900 photo printer
MacbookPro 13” (2011)
MacPro 6-core running 2x 50” monitors and Sony 1080 Projector

I guess I should add;
iPhone 6 plus (best camera Apple have produced and my most used camera)

I saw a Box Brownie recently in a vintage store but resisted my urges to get it.

Cant remember the price tag but wasnt willing to part with my dollars not knowing how functioning the camera was.

What are they like to use spaz?

Pretty easy, they are basically a pin hole camera made from plastic.
Open it, load the film, point at object, expose film, wind to the next frame.
I don’t think I’ll ever use it again. It’s just to add to my collection.

Picked up mine for $5 at a market (think I actually paid $3 because its all I had in my pocket). It’s a simple model.

I just pulled it out to have a look.
It’s a ‘Baby Brownie’

K2_TeacherBoy - 20 April 2015 12:16 PM

I saw a Box Brownie recently in a vintage store but resisted my urges to get it.

Cant remember the price tag but wasnt willing to part with my dollars not knowing how functioning the camera was.

Brad if you want to try out an old camera you’re welcome to borrow an old Bronica medium-format I have sitting around.  Vintage is probably 1950s or so I would guess.

@Spaz, thanks mate. The one I was looking at looked more like this and was going for 50-60$$. Hence the reason I held off. I didnt know what value they held either.

@mud, awesome! I might take you up on that offer. Though dont know how much longer I’ll be in VIC for. Maybe another month, 2 at the most before I work my way up north looking for work and beaches

K2_TeacherBoy - 20 April 2015 03:36 PM

@mud, awesome! I might take you up on that offer. Though dont know how much longer I’ll be in VIC for. Maybe another month, 2 at the most before I work my way up north looking for work and beaches

No problem, PM/facebook me if you want it.  Can bring it to CBD or you can drop in at my place (some good skating nearby!).

I’ve accumulated a fair bit over the last few years.

Here’s my current list:

Cameras

* Nikon D700 (and battery grip)
* Nikon D610
* Panasonic GX7
* Canon S110
* Gopro Hero 2

Lenses (for Nikon)

* Samyang 14 2.8
* Nikon 18-35
* Nikon 50 1.8g
* Nikon 85 1.8g
* Sigma 150-600 C

Lenses (for M43)

* Panasonic 14 2.5
* Panasonic 20 1.7
* Panasonic 42.5 1.7

Extra (noteworthy) equipment

* DIC&MIC; carbon fiber tripod (very cheap and good for what it is and pretty much unheard of)
* Yunguo 568EX Flash
* too many bags lol

Software

* Lightroom

blackbanana - 16 April 2015 03:53 AM

There’s a bunch of gear i’d be interested to know if anyone has / has used before and what they think of it;
-Decent camera bags

I definitely have a few different types of bags if you’re interested in getting my opinion on any:

From memory I have:

Lowepro passport sling
Lowepro Flipside Sport 15L

I have several other lowepro bags but can’t remember their names off the top of my head. Ones for hiking and another is a sling bag. What sort of camera bag are you after exactly / what do you want to use it for and how much do you want it to carry? I find there’s no one perfect bag, they can only cater for a few uses.

Hey there. Just looking for some advice. Im looking at getting some decent gear for filming and just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the newer cameras that are out atm. Tossing up between a Gh5, fujifilm x-t2, or sony a6500 but open to any suggestions that anyone else recommends. Planning on doing a heap of filming this coming winter in japan. Any followcam footage will be done with go-pro and gimbal set-up. But right now im looking for something for shots from further away. Backcountry kickers etc. Let me know your thoughts any feedback is appreciated. Also hit me up if you will be in Japow anytime from jan-march would be great to catch up and try get some decent footage. Yeeew