The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Mint Tours - Japan

Hey Guys,

Im pretty keen on doing a trip to Japan next year with Mint Tours. Im looking at heading to Myoko Kogan. Deep pow and a Japanese culture shock all in one.

Has anyone booked with Mint before or been to Myoko? Are there other resorts not infused with Aussies that have shoulder deep pow?

Any info would be siiiick!

saltyseadog - 14 May 2017 08:56 PM

Hey Guys,

Im pretty keen on doing a trip to Japan next year with Mint Tours. Im looking at heading to Myoko Kogan. Deep pow and a Japanese culture shock all in one.

Has anyone booked with Mint before or been to Myoko? Are there other resorts not infused with Aussies that have shoulder deep pow?

Any info would be siiiick!

Hey @saltyseadog

I’ve ridden with Mint Tours a bunch of times now. A couple of tours (Canada Road Trip and Niseko Freeride tour) as well as doing my own thing but they have sourced accom and lifts passes etc. I did Myoko in Feb 2016 and Feb 2017 this way with a group of mates.

I would definitely recommend Mint Tours. They take all the dramas out of organising your trip. They hook you up in great accommodation and sort out any issues that happen on tour. You also get guiding every day which is sweet for finding the best spots.

Unfortunately I wouldn’t say that Myoko isn’t infused with Aussies any more. Feb 2016 was pretty good - some Aussies etc but Feb 2017 just felt like that’s about all there was. Even heard a few stories about fights breaking out (can’t confirm myself though). I’m glad I went twice but I think I’ll be heading off in search of the more hidden spots from now.

Myoko is still pretty sick but if you are keen on more Japanese culture and less westernised Mint do some other tours worth looking at. Flick them an email and they’ll tell you what’s what.

Hope that helps!

Hi Geniass!!

Thanks for the reply! I think ill end up sticking with Myoko for now. Ive wanted to explore this place for ages, so hopefully it’ll be good!

Im gonna spend 2 days in Tokyo after the snow as well. Any recommendations for accomodation or sites/bars/restaurants/amusement? 

Thanks again! smile

saltyseadog - 16 May 2017 09:08 AM

Hi Geniass!!

Thanks for the reply! I think ill end up sticking with Myoko for now. Ive wanted to explore this place for ages, so hopefully it’ll be good!

Im gonna spend 2 days in Tokyo after the snow as well. Any recommendations for accomodation or sites/bars/restaurants/amusement? 

Thanks again! smile

@saltyseadog  myoko is awesome. I went in 16 which was a crap yr with only 8.5m cummlative! 15 and 17 were both around 15m. plenty of resorts and id say suginohara is the pick.
longest run is 8km. the park is around 1km long. lift tickets under $50 a day most include lunch. im going in early feb with my daughter. stayed at morino lodge last time. they have what thet call a dorm room, its 50 a night, has toilet but no shower, need to shower in the onsen area. we did 2 days in Tokyo as well. stayed in Shinjuku which is short train ride or walk to all the action.

Hey @saltyseadog - not saying Myoko isn’t awesome - it’s pretty epic and I love it - just wanted to say that it’s definitely moving to the more Westernised side of things.

For Tokyo - there’s heaps to see. The trains are super easy to get around on so make the most of that. If you miss one, the next is only a couple minutes away and if you look lost someone will likely offer to help you pretty quick (even if there is a bit of a language barrier - they are super helpful).
I’d recommend hitting up Shibuya to check out the crazy crossing and just wander around. Harajuku for the crazy pop culture. Shijuku is also worth checking out and just wandering about.
We went up the Tokyo Metropolitan Building to the Viewing Levels - amazing view out over Tokyo - well worth it and free too.

The Imperial Palace gardens are also well worth a walk around - such a bizarre experience with all the old culture right in the middle of Tokyo.

Hope that helps!

geniass - 16 May 2017 08:52 PM

and just wander around. Harajuku for the crazy pop culture.

Do this on a Sunday afternoon. It’s primetime for the crazyness and it’s awesome!

Thanks for all the help guys! It all sounds epic and i cant wait to head over! Powder, saki and noodles!! Haha Yesss!