The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Canada working a season 17/18

Hey guys
My wife and I are looking at doing a season(or longer) in Canada this year. We are looking to get there for the start of the 2017/18 winter.
Bit about us we are both 26 I’m probably an advanced snowboarder and she is around an intermediate.
I’ve been looking at revelstoke, fernie Banff kicking horse to try and figure out what would suit us. Leaning towards fernie and revy at this stage. I’ve heard revelstoke is pretty hard to get a spot at though. 

What’s the best way to get jobs over there and get ourselves set up?we are pretty open with dates at this stage and we are looking at getting to the job fairs in October.

Welcome to Boardworld, @Coops!

First things first: do you have a work visa yet? If not, that’s what you should focus on right now. It takes a bit of time to compile the information (police check etc.), and then you could wait weeks to receive a letter of offer. Since you’re within 12 months of leaving, you might as well do this now.

The process has continuously changed over the years, so it’s best you familiarise yourself here.

As for specifics around Revelstoke and Fernie etc., I probably can’t help you too much as I live in Whistler. @TJswish will be able to give you all the details on Fernie.

TJ, do we know anyone in Revvy? Do you have any info?

Thanks rider26
Yeah we have started our application just waiting for an offer to apply now. We were looking at whistler too but it sounds like the working holiday club and other Organization’s have that all tied up. Any other mountains you would have a look at??

There’s nothing really stopping you from going to Whistler. A bit harder than other resorts to get set up, but it’s definitely possible. TWHC can certainly help get your foot in the door, but you need to commit to this way in advance (due to popularity). It’s easier but also more expensive.

That said, BC is a pretty awesome province. There are a lot of places that you would have an awesome time at… Revelstoke, Big White, Fernie, Sun Peaks… to name a few. Look into your options and see what appeals to you the most. I’ve been to Big White. Rad little town on the mountain (ride-in ride-out convenience), light interior snow, good terrain… I’d love to visit Fernie or Revvy. Personally, if I had to do a season anywhere else in BC, I’d choose one of those two.

Have a read of @TJswish‘s Fernie thread.

Sidenote: Fernie was originally where I wanted to do my first season instructing in 2005. Whistler Blackcomb hired me first and the rest is history. I have to get to Fernie some day soon!

Coops - 27 February 2017 12:46 PM

Hey guys
My wife and I are looking at doing a season(or longer) in Canada this year. We are looking to get there for the start of the 2017/18 winter.
Bit about us we are both 26 I’m probably an advanced snowboarder and she is around an intermediate.
I’ve been looking at revelstoke, fernie Banff kicking horse to try and figure out what would suit us. Leaning towards fernie and revy at this stage. I’ve heard revelstoke is pretty hard to get a spot at though. 

What’s the best way to get jobs over there and get ourselves set up?we are pretty open with dates at this stage and we are looking at getting to the job fairs in October.

Hey, sorry it took a bit but we have had like 95cm of pow in 3 days… hope you understand @Coops

I’m in Fernie and it’s my second year. First off, your resort choices are very good. Revelstoke, Kicking Horse and Fernie all have the same sort of Big Mountain vibe with hard terrain to push you to be better. None of these have decent parks though if that’s your thing. Banff on the other hand is a lot flatter and a lot more alpine terrain (above the tree lines). And between Lake Louise and Sunshine they both have very good parks.

Banff is little Whistler. It’s got the highest per capita STI rate (closely followed by Whistralia) and the town is hard to get housing in. But if you like a good party, there are plenty of places to go out and blow your huge $11 an hour pay check.

If you’re Aussies and have never ridden in Canada before, you can probably lower your “advanced” status (I know I had to… lol). The runs here are a lot steeper than back home and most blue runs in Aus are more like green runs in Canada. Here is a video of a snowboarder on our double black runs:

The towns in these places are very different too. Revelstoke is getting bigger every year and Fernie can be hard to find accom but it’s definitely do-able. Just join the websites and check constantly when you arrive. Stay in the hostel first as you can totally make a bunch of friends that often last the season and sometimes can group up with people to split costs in a larger apartment.

Now onto jobs, if you want to work for the hill, Revelstoke is super hard. They only have a few lifts (4 or 5) so lifty jobs are hard to get. Kicking Horse has the same issue with their 5 lifts. Fernie on the other hand has 10 lifts so it’s a bit easier to get in. Revelstoke applications I don’t know about but for the RCR resorts (Fernie and KH) you can do a video resume. Some of the current lifties videos can be seen below:

As you can see they are looking for your personality, not your experience etc. Just be fun and a bit goofy and you can get a job. They generally start accepting applications at the end of August or start of September and you’ll have to be in town by mid November at the latest (though early November is probably better to find a house.)

The other big thing is if you don’t mind working in town and buying a pass. Most in town jobs will get you more like $13-14 an hour and this can actually make you more money than a season pass is worth. You do however miss out on days at the hill but some places do have a 20cm rule that if it snows, they will let you go riding for a few hours before opening. But they won’t pay you for that time haha.

Last but not least, I chose Fernie for the feel. the big mountain riding and the greater amount of lifts (therefore allowing me to bump as a lifty as the day goes by quicker while at work). Here is a photo from downtown to get you pumped:

If there is anything else I can answer, please just ask and I’ll get back to you

Hey tj
yeah I spose I can understand sounds like some good days ahead too. Would it be best to do the video or go to the job fairs? We would hopefully be looking at becoming liftys as well. How would we go both getting jobs there? What are RCR like to work for? We arnt really worried about the pay side of thing as long as we get by and have a bit of fun.
We’ve spent a fair bit of time at Jackson hole this year and last year epic mountain if you haven’t been but yeah I know what you are saying about the runs over there compared to here.
Should I apply for all those mountains and see how we go?