The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Niseko 2017

The Blind Kid - 21 January 2017 12:15 AM

All booked at Yo!! Took advantage of the early bird set price too haha.. Save that cash for some flowers and whiskey wink

Nice!!!!! ??

Anyone in Niseko at the moment? Arriving tomorrow if anyone is keen for a beer etc?

Hey all,

Was really looking forward to catching up with a few of you in Niseko for a drink an a shred but have had a last minute injury that has left me having to cancel my trip only 5 days out from flying over. What was thought to be a slight muscular strain in my back about 4 weeks ago escalated to much more intense pain last week that, long story short, I have 2 bulged discs in my back and the docs orders are not to even fly anywhere short term let alone go snowboarding.

There are no words to describe how gutted I am. This was to be my first overseas snowboarding trip. I had planned to do one in my 20’s (36 now) but had to postpone that due to a knee injury. I’m not going to attempt to hide the self pity within these words as it’s really hard to hold onto any positives right now. I’m hoping with my docs visit this Friday I will have an outcome as to when I may be fit and able to jump on a board again. This trip is something I really needed for a number of reasons and I will be doing everything I can to get myself in shape to do it again.

Whilst I know the best snow to be had over there is really in the Jan/Feb window, could someone tell me when the snow season would be likely to officially end? Or anywhere else in the NoHe that may have longer lasting snow season?

If declared fit enough to travel/snowboard in a month or 2 I will be trying to get over regardless of what conditions are like and how much snow is left. Basically, if it was going to cost me $10K to get over there for the last 2 days of the season for average spring snow I would be making a payment now.

I will be planning to go over again next year in the peak season anyway regardless of cost/work or anything else in my life that may hold me back now. But at this stage if I can make a recovery enough to get over there even for the last runs of the season this year, I will.

Apologies for posting negativity on these pages but this is a venting exercise for me to an audience that understands. Please don’t think I am posting this to bring anyone down with my own self pity and expectations of a bunch of “get well soon” messages. What I would like is to urge anyone over there to make this the trip of a lifetime for yourselves, have an extra drink or 2 for me, and please post any froth pics/stories that I can live vicariously through.

For now though, fingers crossed for good news from the doc and I will be obeying all docs/physio’s orders and working as hard as is recommended to get myself right ASAP.

Jonesy - 05 February 2017 08:39 PM

Hey all,

Was really looking forward to catching up with a few of you in Niseko for a drink an a shred but have had a last minute injury that has left me having to cancel my trip only 5 days out from flying over. What was thought to be a slight muscular strain in my back about 4 weeks ago escalated to much more intense pain last week that, long story short, I have 2 bulged discs in my back and the docs orders are not to even fly anywhere short term let alone go snowboarding.

There are no words to describe how gutted I am. This was to be my first overseas snowboarding trip. I had planned to do one in my 20’s (36 now) but had to postpone that due to a knee injury. I’m not going to attempt to hide the self pity within these words as it’s really hard to hold onto any positives right now. I’m hoping with my docs visit this Friday I will have an outcome as to when I may be fit and able to jump on a board again. This trip is something I really needed for a number of reasons and I will be doing everything I can to get myself in shape to do it again.

Whilst I know the best snow to be had over there is really in the Jan/Feb window, could someone tell me when the snow season would be likely to officially end? Or anywhere else in the NoHe that may have longer lasting snow season?

If declared fit enough to travel/snowboard in a month or 2 I will be trying to get over regardless of what conditions are like and how much snow is left. Basically, if it was going to cost me $10K to get over there for the last 2 days of the season for average spring snow I would be making a payment now.

I will be planning to go over again next year in the peak season anyway regardless of cost/work or anything else in my life that may hold me back now. But at this stage if I can make a recovery enough to get over there even for the last runs of the season this year, I will.

Apologies for posting negativity on these pages but this is a venting exercise for me to an audience that understands. Please don’t think I am posting this to bring anyone down with my own self pity and expectations of a bunch of “get well soon” messages. What I would like is to urge anyone over there to make this the trip of a lifetime for yourselves, have an extra drink or 2 for me, and please post any froth pics/stories that I can live vicariously through.

For now though, fingers crossed for good news from the doc and I will be obeying all docs/physio’s orders and working as hard as is recommended to get myself right ASAP.

@Jonesy- I’m gutted for you to hear that mate.

Injuries suck. You’ve definitely hit the nail on the head though - do everything the doc and the physio says to get yourself back and ready. Don’t push it - but listen to your body as well.

You may not want to hear it - but be prepared to have to wait until next season if it means you aren’t going to reinjure yourself.

I’ve gone through 9+ months recovery from a shoulder and knee surgery from an injury last year so if you want someone to chat to about injuries / mindset / recovery etc I’m more than happy to lend an ear.

Keep us posted on your doc appointment etc.

Ahh sucks man!

As said already. Don’t mess with rushing your recovery which could do permanent and more serious damage to your back.

Best to make a call week by week and check snow reports as you go. Im sure end of march for some spring time runs are possible if you get the go ahead from your doc.

Thanks for your thoughts and kind words @geniass & @ClevoCapri

I won’t be rushing anything if I’m not ready. At the moment my priorities are
1. Family
2. Health
3. Snowboarding
....and then a long way down, too far to give a number to is work and all the rest.

I’m just hoping for some news from the docs/physio on the actual nature of my injury and expected recovery time and what it means for me mid-long term too.

I definitely won’t be pushing it if the back isn’t right but I’m just trying to hold onto a bit of positivity for a best case scenario. Thanks @ClevoCapri for reassuring me that if I do make a speedy recovery there may be a chance for late March.

@geniass Thanks so much for your offer of a sympathetic ear. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate that and I may just take you up on it and PM you. You really seem to understand the deal with this type of thing as you mentioned the most key aspects; recovery, and probably most importantly, mindset. Thanks again and to you and everyone else, please post pics of awesome times being had in Niseko. It will not be rubbing it in at all and would be great to see that yourselves and others are making the most of your trips and seeing some great snow and beautiful landscapes over there.