The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach 2016

Last years bell ringer, Mick Fanning threading the needle through a Bells drainer. Photo: WSL

Introduction
Bells Beach plays host to the Rip Curl Pro, the longest running professional surf contest in the world and this year marks its 55th year. Past event winners include Mick Fanning, Kelly Slater, Joel Parkinson, Adriano De Souza, the late Andy Irons and Mark ““Occy” Occhilupo.

This year, once again the World Surf League will descend into Bells for the 2nd stop on the Samsung Galaxy World Surf League Championship Tour.

Break Down
Bells Beach is located just outside of the sleepy town of Torquay in Victoria. Facing south, Bells is exposed to long and powerful southern ocean swells, combined that with a fresh north east wind and a defined reef which will give you a dream right hand point break.

Wave Type: Right reef/point break
Best Swell Direction: S
Best Swell Size: 4-10 ft
Best Wind Direction: N, NW
Best Tide: High for Rincon, low for The Bowl.

Quiksilver Pro Recap
The Quiksilver Pro was an action packed event this year. We saw our very own and a inform Matt “Wilko” Wilkinson take his maiden win in against Kolohe “Brother” Andino. Injury replacement, Stuart Kennedy had a stella event surfing out of his skin and taking down world champions, on his way to a semi final finish. Filipe Toledo was also having a dream run until he came unstuck in his semi final against Wilko. As predicted the rookies dominated at Snapper, Ciao Ibelli, Kaona Igarashi and Connor Coffin all had great events. Amongst all this some big names fell early much to my surprise.  Kelly Slater, Julian Wilson and Jordy Smith all had round 2 exits. Lets hope these guys bounce back into title contention.

Injury Update
Owen Wright and Bede Durbidge are still out of action. Owen is still nursing a horrific head injury from Pipe and Bede with a pelvic injury also sustained at Pipe. Stuart Kennedy and Adam Melling will take their spots respectively. Filipe Toledo has unexpectedly pulled out of the Rip Curl Pro and Margaret River. Filipe sustained a groin injury while trying to land an air during his semi final clash against Matt Wilkinson. His absence means Hawaiian Dusty Payne will get another crack at CT competition.

Wildcards
The wildcards have not yet been announced

Offical Surfline Forecast

Brief Overview: The first day of the event waiting period, Thursday the 24th, looks slow. However, a new SW swell looks likely to build slowly on Friday and peak sometime over the weekend of the 26th-27th with medium to possibly solid surf. Going further out, long range model guidance indicates a favorable pattern for at least medium size swell through much of the last week of March.   

Fantasy Surfing Tips
After my semi dismal picks for Snapper, I’m hoping I can dust myself off for Bells. I think Mick Fanning is a no brainer for this one, Mick being one of the most successful surfers at this break winning the last 2 years in a row. Matt Wilkinson and Stu Kennedy will also be making an appearance in my team, Joel Parkinson also looks to be in form and seems to be kicking the year off well. I won’t give to much away, but i like those 4 guys as a start. 

Summery
Who will ring the bell for 2016? Can world number 1 Matt Wilkinson carry his momentum into Bells? Will some of the top dogs resurrect their world title hopes? Will the rookie storm continue to destroy? All questions will be answered at Bells Beach.
If you can make it down to Bells, i suggest you take that ride. Eye balling those corduroy lines that roll into Bells Beach along with watching the best surfers in the world is a once in a lifetime experience. For the rest of you that can’t, tune into World Surf League for all the action and keep an eye on here for all the updates.

Event kicks off March 24th

Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach Offical Trailer

Mens Round 1 Heat Draw
Heat 1: Julian Wilson (AUS), Ciao Ibelli (BRA), Alex Ribeiro (BRA)
Heat 2: Jeremy Flores (FRA), Stuart Kennedy (AUS), Davey Cathels (AUS)
Heat 3: Italo Ferreira (BRA), Kaona Igarashi (USA), Adam Melling (AUS)
Heat 4: Gabriel Medina (BRA), Connor Coffin (USA), TBD
Heat 5: Mick Fanning (AUS) Keanu Asing (HAW), TBD
Heat 6: Adriano de Souza (BRA), Michel Bourez (PYF), TBD
Heat 7: Kelly Slater (USA), Kai Otton (AUS), Sebastion Zeitz (HAW)
Heat 8: Joel Parkinson (AUS), Taj Burrow (AUS), Miguel Pupo (BRA)
Heat 9: Matt Wilkinson (AUS), Kolohe Andino (USA), Jack Freestone (AUS)
Heat 10: Nat Young (USA), Adrian Buchan (AUS), Ryan Callinan (AUS)
Heat 11: Josh Kerr (AUS), Wiggolly Dantas (BRA), Matt Banting (AUS)
Heat 12: John John Florence (HAW), Jordy Smith (ZYF), Jadson Andre (BRA)

Cracking write-up, @saltyseadog! Bring it on!

That reminds me, I need to make changes to my fantasy team. LOL

Injury Update 2.0
Jack Freestone has officially pulled out of Bells beach due to a knee injury he sustained just after the Quiksilver Pro.  Jack will make way for everyones favourite wildcard and post hear interview legend, Mason Ho.