The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Winter Wetsuits - What’s Your Choice of Rubber? 

So for the past 3 winters I’ve been using my O’neill Super Freak 3x2 chest zip in a size M. I’ve found this suit to be great value for money. It’s great for the winter waters around the 16-19 degree mark, anything colder than that and i don’t think this wetsuit will keep the heat.

The stitching on this suit is just a standard flat lock stitch. The super freak also has great flexibility, i managed to paddle, pop up and pump down the line with ease.

Some great features I found on here was the key stash pocket on the right thigh panel. It’s always a pain to stash ya car keys when you surf, however this little pocket makes that job so much easier. Also how easy it was to get in and out of. O’neill has really given this standard wettie some great features.

What i didn’t like about this suit was the sizing. Im generally a M in most things, being 180cm tall. However I feel i may have been suited to a MS in this particular brand. I found to there to be a litter extra rubber around the arms, thus the cuffs would always get a little bulge and be somewhat quit niggling. This doesn’t reflect the performance of the wetsuit in anyway.

For a surfer on a budget, you couldn’t really go past this bang for ya buck steamer. Just be sure to get the sizing right.

I’ve just ordered a new Hurley 302 Fusion sealed steamer which i managed to get at an amazing price and couldn’t pass it up.

Ill be doing a review on this wetsuit in the coming days.

Whats your favourite winter wettie of choice? How often do you splurge on new rubber?

Purely by Cut/Fit, WEST has been my go to wettie in the past!!!!!

I’ve got a couple of EDGE Steamer Combo’s, and a Full Blown Custom made Japanese one!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 08 July 2015 03:10 PM

Purely by Cut/Fit, WEST has been my go to wettie in the past!!!!!

I’ve got a couple of EDGE Steamer Combo’s, and a Full Blown Custom made Japanese one!!!!!

Thats epic Mizu.. Id be interested to know more about the custom Japanese one!!

Few of my mates swear by WEST wetties, I’ve never worn one, but would love to give em a go!

If I remember, I’ll drag it out and take a couple snapshots to post!!!!!

shaka shaka shaka shaka shaka shaka shaka shaka shaka shaka

Guys unfortunately West has gone west as far as I’m aware . I really liked their wetties but couldn’t find any this time around.

Ended up with a quiksilver ignite 2x2mm short arm steamer for $199, so far it’s been great, doesn’t fit quite as well as the west suits though.

Sucks about West!!!!!

I’ve been running with this Zion 3/2 Chest zip since 2011. Warm and stretchy. I loike it!

Mizu Kuma - 08 July 2015 03:27 PM

If I remember, I’ll drag it out and take a couple snapshots to post!!!!!

Super Warm, and Super Soft, just like Mizu!!!!!

Mmmmm that thing looks toasty warm MIzu!! Arctic water use wink

surferguy56 - 13 July 2015 01:49 PM

Mmmmm that thing looks toasty warm MIzu!! Arctic water use wink

Sapporo Steamer!!!!! LOL

Got mental waves down near Ulladulla yesterday and the day before but I was freezing in my 2mm, Def need the 3x2mm full suit for down there, even a 4x3mm might a been a better idea.

NBG - 16 July 2015 07:50 PM

Got mental waves down near Ulladulla yesterday and the day before but I was freezing in my 2mm, Def need the 3x2mm full suit for down there, even a 4x3mm might a been a better idea.

Brrrr!!! a 2mm down the south coast!?!??!. Haha. No Thanks. I got a brand new 3x2 you could buy, thought its only a medium and might be a tad small for ya. If i recall correctly on the taller/heavier side than i am??

To prevent myself from shivering on the waves, I would go for a 3mm, 5mm or even 7mm two piece hooded wetsuit for suring in winter. 
https://www.buy4outdoors.com/collections/2-piece-wetsuits