The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Your latest purchase from the BOARDWORLD Store

Hey guys!

What’s your latest purchase from the BOARDWORLD Store?

Post a photo, tell us what you purchased, and let us know what you think of your new gear!

Please feel free to give us feedback — good or bad. We want to ensure that all of our customers are stoked with their purchases and that we are providing the very best customer service.

Please don’t hesitate to contact us directly if there is anything we can help you with.

I’ll get this off to a cracking start!
Back in March I celebrated a birthday
(the number of years shall remain unmentioned but #grannyshredder seems to work).
Come birthday morning I got a great card from Azz and a promise of a new board that was yet to be built, with the promise that I would LOVE it, because after long consultation from the boss #nojez, this board was the one for me.

Azz LOVES his Yes the Greats, and obviously was thinking along those lines, chosing the Hel Yes for me.

It arrived today!!!! (2 months after the birthday) Excitement!!!!

Over the past weeks, I have had some fear and trepidation… this board is Camber between the feet, (I have HATED that after my crash while learning) and longer. It’s a 146, where as I’d been on a Gnu rocker 141. You all know it, I’ve had it for years.

I’m also a lot excited to try something new, and hopefully it will also improve my riding. I have no intention of ever getting in the park or even going fast, but this board is going to take me to a whole new level.

When I looked at the board on the website, I wasn’t sure about the graphics - very plain… When the board arrived, it looked different to that pictured, and pretty! Understated graphic, nice topcoat feel and nice base graphic too.

Looking down the edges reveals some odd lumps and bumps. No ordinary sidecut here, nor the waves I’m used to on the Gnu.Apparently it’s radial, with overbite edges. I’ll let you know whether I like this overbite, or whether I’m thinking a trip to the orthodontist is a good idea.

Things I had trouble with on the Gnu… strapping in while standing up.. (don’t give me %$&t… wait till you’re my age), the rocker on the board kept spinning me… so this should be easier now.

I looked hard at the “made in the UAE” sticker. I thought it said USA at first, but on the back it says Dubai. I said to Azz that there’s not much snow there, he answered with “not much snow, but what they have is the most consistent snow in the world”

So… I’ll let you know how this board performs with me in the driver’s seat.

Massive thanks to Boardworld store for getting this in to Australia for us… seriously earliest anywhere. I am going to be one of the coolest kids on that damn mountain shaka

Thanks for sharing your purchase with us, Tambo. I’m sure you’ll love your new board after you’ve taken it for a shred. Michelle tested this exact board at SIA and she absolutely loved it. As you mentioned, I did all the discussions and organising with Azz, so I’ll explain a few things to you.

The board you’re seeing on the website is the 2015 model. Australia is a year ahead and the model in your possession is the 2016 model. You are definitely one of the first people in the world to own one. This is why the graphics look different.

Also changed for 2016; the board no longer has “overbite edges”, but rather “underbite edges” which is a significant improvement. Since you can’t see it on the website yet, here is the information about the 2016 YES Hel:

With a re-tooling of over half our line this year, we had the opportunity to update this relatively new model. Continuing with the directional freeride theme critical to Helen’s approach it was important to maintain a board that she had fallen in love with from day one. Applying our groundbreaking UnderBite outline was a logical choice because it’s ability to extract more drive, more arc and more traction out of any given sidecut. To compliment the revised outline we upgraded to a Poplar and Bamboo core keeping things light and lively.

and more info on the UnderBite edges:

TWS GoodWood winning tech expands to the Hel this year! UnderBite edges re-distribute a riders weight in such a way that it enhances turning ease and edge hold. Creating divots inward at the binding area reduces and disrupts the surface area of the edge that has contact with the snow while the board is turning. This increases the edge pressure by distributing your weight/energy in the areas where you need it - from the binding out, and through the center of the board where the carving arc is taking place. This segmentation of the sidecut into 3 key zones focuses your body weight and onto areas that initiate, hold and release turns.

Finally, on the board being made in Dubai, this is one of the reasons why YES is now offering an industry-first lifetime warranty on all their snowboards. John Colvin and George Cant are running the SWS factory in Dubai and they are two of the best in the business. Arbor is another leading brand that’s moved all their snowboard manufacturing to the SWS factory in Dubai. Long story short, this is where you want your snowboard to be built. You can’t beat a lifetime warranty.

Here’s a few links if you want more information:
http://www.yesnowboard.com/why-wouldnt-you-make-snowboards-in-dubai/ (definitely read this one)
http://www.georgecant.com/bio
http://business.transworld.net/119879/features/industry-vets-launch-sws-snowboard-production-in-dubai/

YES HEL — 2016 Model

That’s really good to know! Now it makes sense!
Certainly one of the first things I noticed was the lightness. It’s about the same weight with bindings as my old board is without bindings. That’s a huge difference.

I received my board yesterday from Aus Post.  First up, I’d like to say how much help I had from Jeremy choosing this board.  I had a long back-and-forth with him via email over it and after taking into account my size and weight, riding style, goals and location, he recommended the 2016 Yes The Greats 154 as his number one choice for me.  One of the great things about Jez is that he really knows his stuff, both because he is a snowboarding instructor with years of experience and was able to ride just about every board worth looking at during the recent snowboard industry show at Whistler.  Jez also knows what suits me after helping me out with gear in the past.  As a final check, I consulted Azz.  He assured me that even though Jez might seem like a bit of a wanker, he actually really knows his stuff.

My board was a pre-order and Jez kept me constantly updated on the status.  Once the board came into stock, he communicated really well about shipping.  The board turned up yesterday at Aus Post, packed very well and in perfect condition.  I had already received the Now Select bindings, hand delivered by none other than local legend, Amine (local Now/Yes/Jones distributor and general snowboarding gear genius).  Overall the delivery was spot-on, absolutely no complaints.

I’m sure Jez will want to comment on all the good tech in this board, but the key points I remember are: bamboo in the core, asym sidecut, camrock, stiff-ish but not ridiculously so.  I’m not sure if I got this right, but I believe this year there were further tweaks to the asym sidecut to make it carve even better.  The board weighs in at 1.32kg on my kitchen scales.

Here are some pics.  They look a little washed out I think due to the light or maybe my terrible photography, but I can tell you the graphics look amazing in the flesh.  I had been a bit meh about them from photos, but they really are stunning; super-clear and in a really cool style.
(The bindings are just sitting there for the pics, I haven’t even un-clipped the low-back from one of them in case anyone was wondering wink )

That set up looks mint man! Nice job

That setup looks so rad Mudhoney!

Thanks guys, cannot wait to take it for a ride.  shred

Graphics definitely look great hey, and much more pop than in photos.

Mudhoney - 16 May 2015 11:31 AM

As a final check, I consulted Azz.  He assured me that even though Jez might seem like a bit of a wanker, he actually really knows his stuff

If I recall correctly, I said “Jez is a MASSIVE wanker, but is cute and cuddly” smirk

Tambo - 16 May 2015 09:04 PM

Graphics definitely look great hey, and much more pop than in photos.

Yeah for sure.  I hope it rides as good as it looks!

Azz - 16 May 2015 09:10 PM
Mudhoney - 16 May 2015 11:31 AM

As a final check, I consulted Azz.  He assured me that even though Jez might seem like a bit of a wanker, he actually really knows his stuff

If I recall correctly, I said “Jez is a MASSIVE wanker, but is cute and cuddly” smirk

LOL

I just got a new YES 2020 150cm specifically for Japan next year after riding the past two seasons YES 420. I pre ordered the 2020 back in March and it arrived last week as soon as it came in stock. The purchase was so easy and Jeremy was great to deal with I received a tracking number and two days later the board arrived at my work nicely boxed to avoid any damage.
I will possibly give the board a try in the backcountry in our season before Japan as I just got myself a MTN Approach ski system, if we get some deep days I’ll definitely try it and post a review.

Howdy Folks!!!!! shaka

Just thought I’d drop by and show ya my new toy for Japan 2016!!!!!

Proudly bought to you by the ease of the Boardworld Store, and the man behind the counter, Jezowitz!!!!! (Why anyone would bother with the drama of buyin last years model boards, then have the risk of shit goin pear shaped on the odd occasion, when ya can deal direct with someone that’s open to the public, and always available if there’s ever an issue?????)

My new Arbor Shreddy Krueger 162

My Flux DM’s

And my new #nojez_included SandBox Noggin Protector

So in closing, want the best gear, want an easy transaction, want comparable prices to overseas dealers, want solid buying advice, want support you can rely on if things go to shit?????

Then shop at Boardworld!!!!!

New Mountain Twin 161w arrived today, pretty excited to get it out there….

Nice looking board I thought the 2020 was nice the 2016 Shreddy looks unreal you will be ripping on that. There are so many nice powder boards coming out its a wonder why more people are still riding resort boards in Japan they don’t know what they are missing out on. Nice helmet I was not aware they are available here I will have to get on it can’t wait to see the new site.