The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Average and top speeds at thredbo

What is an advanced snowboarders average and top speeds?

Ride2153 - 15 May 2015 01:00 AM

Here is mine from Sun Peaks on staff ride day: (day after the last day of the season)

What app/device are you using to track that TJ?

^ Looks like a sunpeaks app or something? That’s what I’d guess. =)

Trace (which used to be called Alpine Replay)

Then you log into the site once it’s uploaded to see your stats. I just took a screenshot to upload here.

CALLING SPAZ!!!!!!!

Welcome to Boardworld, Ride2153. shaka

This is a screenshot I took from the Whistler Blackcomb app I’ve been using this season.

I don’t think this was too different from an average day on the mountain. Probably a bit faster than an “average” day.

Top speeds for an advanced snowboarder (in the right conditions) would definitely be over the 100km/h mark. Average, I’m not too sure. Totally depends on the type of terrain and what sort of mood you’re in haha.

Why do you ask? Just out of curiosity. wink

EDIT: OK, just realised you were asking specifically for Thredbo. Thredbo has some nice pitches if you really want to let ‘er rip! You don’t have the same terrain as Whistler Blackcomb but you can hit similar speeds if you try hard enough. And the hard-packed Aussie snow is usually pretty damn fast!

TJswish - 15 May 2015 10:56 AM
Ride2153 - 15 May 2015 01:00 AM

Here is mine from Sun Peaks on staff ride day: (day after the last day of the season)

Slow down you hooligan! cheese

Here’s some of my stupidity from a few years back:

Hmm. okay since we’re doin’ it. wink 

This was at showcase in Whistler, early Jan, 2014, I had a few days of doing 2 runs in the morning to get prepped, and I was aiming for 103, maybe 104, and was only just getting up to 98/100.

I only did 103 in Dec last year. Hopefuly I can get better when I’m back next season…....

Jebus, I have no idea how fast I go but I don’t reckon it’d be anywhere near 100.

^ well its kinda….“easy.”

Asides from the obvious control of the board, like Jez said, you need a clear coat of wax (I had just fluro-waxed my board,) and the right conditions. It wasn’t snowing and there was sunlight, and I did it in the morning or at least before lunch, so that there’s minimal ppl there.

Over the 3 days I’d do 2 runs a day (maybe 1 more “for the road,” all the way back to mid station.) And then just do regular snowboarding elsewhere…  well… that’s how I did it anyways.

I will say that the whole time I was thinking “please don’t crash please don’t crash please don’t crash.” My eyes tearing up under my goggles didn’t help, and I believe I was wearing a pair of oakley airbreak. Lemme tell you it didn’t break the air at all. LOL.

Yep, the please don’t crash chants get real lol

^ The funny thing is… your mind kinda just says back to you. “sure not crashing is easy, just SLOW DOWN.”

So really, “please don’t crash please don’t crash but I wanna go fast, so please don’t crash please don’t crash.” lol.

Haha nice.  I reckon a scorpion at that speed would probably result in decapitation!

I flipped out going quick down Yarandoo once (black run at Perisher) and ripped a hole in my pants. Not fun or cheap lol.