The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Couples Surf Trip

Me and my girlfriend are looking at heading overseas later on this year for a surf trip somewhere, but not to sure where..

As she’s basically a novice but keen to learn, im trying to find something that has mellow waves for her but at the same time still has something with a “bit of push” for myself.

We have been looking at the Maldives but decided it costs a lot! Also HT’s resort in the Mentawis but might be a bit heavy for the girl. Other ideas i thought would be good were, Samoa, or the Soloman Islands.

Anyone have any good suggestions? Cheap and cheerful is always a plus!!

Fiji could be a great option. It’s relatively close by (so cheaper to get there), it’s a beautiful country, the people are some of the friendliest I’ve ever encountered on my travels, great value for money, and you can surf year round. We had a great time in Fiji and I can highly recommend it.

How far are you willing to travel? What about Mexico or Costa Rica?

Yeah we have looked into fiji, it looks amazing, but i just wasnt sure about the whole mellow wave thing for the mrs.

We’re pretty much willing to go anywhere, Costa and Mexico would be sick, but ill have to do a little more research smile

Fiji has soft waves if u look,  if you’re on the mainland nuttadola I think it is has a beachie when there’s a bit of swell around. Namotu lefts are pretty soft when it’s smaller as is swimming pools. You can grab a boat from the mainland out that will drop ur missus at Namotu lefts and u at Cloudbreak or Wilkes for $100 each for the day.

I love Tonga but not much in the way of beginner waves there and the bottom is sharp. Never been to Samoa but have heard good things.