The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Eurocarve/superman. [Ryan Knapton]

Yep, saw this. Sick, my favorite thing to do. But in terms of tutorial, I feel like the video below is still the best.

^ For sure, but it is a good starter I think and very simplified which will get to the masses.

I think the eurocarve vid is good when you want to get into linking the carves. I just have to wait until the season starts here to try it so annoying.

@grunge: You can practice it with your motorbike ahaha. It’s similar right wink

^ LOL, Actually it is, Look where you wanna be, LEAN RIGHT IN.

The basics of most things that doesn’t have you “secured” is usually the same, your body will guide the equipment (bike/board) where you’re looking and you’ll end up there. That includes looking straight down and eating dirt/snow.

So, tl;dr - Get a bike. LOL!!!

Hahah, noooo! nevaaahhh

^ LOL, imma bug you ‘til you do….

tl;dr - Rico beli motor. (I think I said it right? LOL!!)

Haha, yes you said it right loll LOL

I totally agree that the Motorbike and Snowboarding is a similar idea. All in the hips to do the turning.

^ YEAH TJ!!! grin

See @skip11, all in the hips, you can’t go wrong!

tl;dr - You know exactly what I’m trying to tell you here.

I liked Ryan’s video better myself.

The second guy obviously doesn’t speak English fluently. So that’s a bummer because I’m sure he has some good info. But apart from that, the way the video text is laid out, doesn’t match the video. And all the words he uses sound technical and fancy but aren’t words we use in snowboarding. Unless it’s the way it’s described in his country perhaps.
Also this isn’t the best example to follow for us (though it looks dope). You will notice he is sponsored by Swoard. Which means he’s a hard booter. He may be in soft boots but both his angle are way forward, so he can euro like a hard booter would.
We can’t do this. We have to have a different body position or it simple won’t work as well.

Anyway, Ryan’s is well laid out and easy to follow (and is done with a -/+ stance, that’s important).
It’s possibly not what he was trying to do, but if he got locked in nicely to that position he does and then pushed his hips towards the snow, those euros would rail even harder. But like I said, it’s an option, not a requirement. Depends how hard you want to turn.
Also it’s not possible to do unless your board is wide enough.
Interesting stuff to watch. I’m yet to see 2 people describe “how to euro” the same way.

TJswish - 30 January 2015 06:55 PM

I totally agree that the Motorbike and Snowboarding is a similar idea. All in the hips to do the turning.

Yeah for sure!

We actually have a drill for improving peoples carving called “motorbike turns”.
It’s basically tilting until you get your rear knee to brush the ground like they do in super bike racing.

@Andy Aitken:

I swear by the Russian vid that I post. I tried to find many instructions and vids on how to euro and this one is what makes me able to do it finally. Yes, he’s riding +/+ angle but it can still apply to duck stance, you just have to make some changes. I really feel the hard boots style is the “proper” way to do euro carve. Granted, I can only do it on good snow. The main points I got from the russian vid is that:
- hips higher than the head
- don’t reach out, instead get low and keep tipping until your arm touch the snow then extend
- back arm is above head instead of reaching forward
- and don’t push up with your arms

I am not disagreeing with you by any means, it’s just for me I find the Russian instruction much more helpful because it comes from an actual eurocarving technique with hard boots. And it looks better too imo. But Ryan one is also sick, any eurocarving is awesome basically ahaha LOL (although I have to admit I am not a big fan of the butt in the air eurocarve)

EDIT: that being said, Ryan’s tutorial is probably easier and more applicable to most people. It’s just I like the Russian tutorial better and actually helped me to finalla be able to do it.

Another good one, and different style too.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/get-inspired/30931336

^ That’s more classic style Euro I think. My first intro to euro was that style.

More info on Knapton’s clip on how to euro tho’.

All 3 are sick. Different variations :D