The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Win 1 of 5 “ALL THIS MAYHEM” Signed DVDs

WIN 1 OF 5 “ALL THIS MAYHEM” SIGNED DVDS

In the mid-90s, two scrawny kids from Melbourne’s suburbs were suddenly hurled into a world of drugs, money and fame. Their story was never going to end happily — but it made for a hell of an interesting tale.

All This Mayhem chronicles the lives of Ben and Tas Pappas, skateboarding wunderkinds from Melbourne’s rugged east, who dominated the vert skateboarding world in the mid to late 90s. A couple of self-proclaimed bogans from a broken family, the two honed their craft at the notorious Prahran vert ramp, where they pushed each other into the local skateboarding spotlight with a number of never-been-done tricks and inflated teenage egos. From touring with the best to winning world titles, the brothers sharp rise to stardom was soon to be overshadowed by their abrupt fall into lives of drugs, crime, violence, murder and suicide. In the end, they simply couldn’t escape the mayhem. The result is a tragedy too incredible to believe. 

Read the full review here.

HOW TO ENTER:

To celebrate the DVD release of All This Mayhem, the documentary which chronicles the rise and fall of Melbourne’s Pappas brothers, Boardworld is giving away five copies of the film — each personally signed by Aussie skateboarding legend and subject of the documentary, Tas Pappas.

For your chance to win, simply tell us who you think is the most influential Australian skateboarder of all time and why. Please leave your responses in the comments section below. Click here to register for the forums if you haven’t already!

The five best responses as determined by our judges will win the DVDs. Only one entry per person. This contest ends on Sunday, October 12th, 2014, at midnight AEST.

One entry! Damm thinking been a few greats.

This kid!

Mr Dustin Dollin I would have to say a powerhouse for Australian skateboarding. Why? Because he has a raw street style which is really what Australian skateboarding is about. He had amazing parts and still continues to tour with the Baker crew. He has a huge personality and is a professional drinker. His parts also have him throwing every thing in to them no matter the risk which may have cost him the knee reconstructions. He devoted his life to skateboarding which you don’t see to often in the industry from Australian professionals. I just love how his attitude hasn’t changed to much from when he was a 17 year old punk kid and his originality. 

It’s a hard competition with our breeding stock here…

Lewis Marnell, Shane Cross, Shane O’Neil, Chad Bartie, Jake Duncombe, Jake Brown

This country sure has produced some talent but I think my vote has to go to the one and only deanobruce

Cut down in his prime by injury, it was only a short skate career.

Those that were lucky enough to witness his prowess in the half pipe walked away with life long memories.

When it comes to influence, whenever I have an itch to take up skateboarding I like to think of Dean and quickly the itch subsides.

Photos of this legend actually standing on a skateboard have been kept under lock and key so this one will have to do…

LOL

drc13 - 25 September 2014 03:30 PM

This country sure has produced some talent but I think my vote has to go to the one and only deanobruce

Cut down in his prime by injury, it was only a short skate career.

Those that were lucky enough to witness his prowess in the half pipe walked away with life long memories.

When it comes to influence, whenever I have an itch to take up skateboarding I like to think of Dean and quickly the itch subsides.

Photos of this legend actually standing on a skateboard have been kept under lock and key so this one will have to do…

This is my entry too!

Cale Nuske.

Was an awesome skater that hailed from Adelaide and show the world what an Aussie skater could do. Prior to the new breed that are rad as well.

Dorfus, if I need to explain why, then you really aren’t across the Aussie skate scene. Dude shreds hard and fast and still gives the young kids a serious run for their money on the old stunt stick!!

Hahahahaha

Shane O’Neill is a big one for me. I think it’s awesome that someone my age from Melbourne has made it as big as he has in the US and overseas.

He’s doing quite well for himself now, and hasn’t let it get to his head. I follow him on IG and he’s always skating and pushing it. +1 for his recently built backyard skatepark. Yeah, I guess you could say I’m jealous. But it shows that he’s super committed and just loves the sport.

Aside from that I just like his skating. He’s and awesome street skater and has had some pretty good results in comps as well. Hopefully he keeps skating and killing it.

Koper - 29 September 2014 06:54 PM

He’s doing quite well for himself now, and hasn’t let it get to his head. I follow him on IG and he’s always skating and pushing it.

This is what I absolutely love about Nugget. I met him once in Melbourne, probably about two years ago so he was well and truly a worldwide star already, and he was skating with 3 guys I didn’t recognise at all. Turns out they were his school friends from Werribee who he grew up skating with. One of them was practising heelflips on flat and Shane was helping him learn, they were by no means good skaters at all. But Shane was still out skating with them and having an awesome time. I’ve loved him ever since.

I’m going for Andrew Brophy, the dude is sick, has one of the biggest vertical ollies in skating and seems like a genuine good / funny guy. His twitter account is full of gold.

Plus, how sick is doing a 360 flip over a picnic table… WTF!!!

Such a hard thing choose. So many listed above are all so amazing with what they have done. Nugget, Chima, Shane Cross, Lewis, Brophy, Dustin, Jakey, Cale, and so many more.

But for me Im gonna name someone a bit not so obvious as one of our most influential skaters - Anthony Mapstone.

He is pretty much the godfather of skateboarding in Australia.
Yeh he may not have ever ripped on the level of Shane, Nugget, Lewis and the rest, but he was at the forefront of street skating when it was being born in Aus.
Not only that, he has pretty much paved the way for each aussie skater that has made it big. Helped them out with sponsors, getting them in the right crowds, and always pushing skating in a positive direction.
He is what, 40? now and still gets out and skates everyweekend in the streets of Melbourne and encourages the next up n coming generation of skaters.
And he still shreds

look at any skatepark event video in Melbourne and often interstate and there is usually Mappy being an MC or getting everyone hyped.

Starting XEN skateboards, running FastTimes skate shop, being apart of Globe/Hardcore.

he is an Aussie Skate Icon. When international skate teams come to oz, Mappy is more often than not their tour guide.

Vote Mappy LOL

Mappy!

I used to run the XEN Mapstone pro model 7.50. He is a Aussie skate god and his brother takes a mighty fine picture.

The winners of this contest are:

bkrtron, Koper, TJswish, K2_TeacherBoy, and drc13.

Please email your postal address to promo(at)boardworld.com.au and we will get your DVD sent out. Congratulations!

Boom, Thanks Boxy. Will look forward to perusing.