The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Surgery booked

Finally booked my acl reconstruction in mid November.

Hopefully the rehab has me back on the board for some of next season.

Has anyone on here had this surgery done before and have any advice on the rehab process.

Hey mate,

Good to hear you’re all booked in. Get through the rehab and you’ll be on the road to recovery in no time.

I’ll get Becky to reply to you. She is our physiotherapist on here and she’s had two ACL reconstructions herself, so I’m sure she can give you the advice you’re looking for.

Hi there. ACL reconstructions are not so fun. Sorry to hear you need one. I’ve had 2 done myself. The first was a typical reco with a hamstring graft- successful (still some hamstring weakness as I didn’t rehab it too well) and the second I had a ‘Lars’ reco where they use an synthetic ligament and rehab is a lot shorter. (Although I needed to go back into surgery a month later as one of the screws were too tight and therefore was physically possible to bend my knee)- but generally successful as well. I was back playing competitive football (soccer) 4-5 months later.

My best advice is to regularly see a good physio after your reconstruction and be really diligent with all your rehab exercises. They do work! It will be really painful and swollen/stiff after your op but that’s very normal. Ice and pain killers! You physio will prescribe you with ROM exercises to get your movement back and eventually strengthening exercises and sport specific exercises/plyomeyroc type exercises. I’m sure they will also use a range of other physio modalities to accelerate healing and manually try get more movement in your knee.

How long ago did you rupture your ACL? If it’s not an acute injury anymore (ie it was done a while ago) you can probably start strengthening your quads now. The stronger pre op the better for post op!

Don’t rush back getting back on the snow. Wait until your given the all clear. 9 months is the generally rehab period. Even if your feeling good, there are reasons why you can’t put strain on the ligament before certain time periods. It’s a lengthy rehab but your operated leg will come out stronger than your other in the end! smile

Good luck. I can talk about ACLs all day so if you have anything else to ask please do….

Sorry Becky I thought I had replied to this.

I had my left knee ACL reconstructed 7 years ago so I thought I knew what to expect, however things have changed quite a bit. That was hamstring harvest/graft and it was 4 weeks before they allowed assisted weight bearing prior to that I had to avoid placing any pressure or weight on it. With this one I was up and about (with the aid of crutches for the first 5 or so days) immediately after surgery.

I am 3 weeks post op and my physio has been happy with my progress, he learned that they now screw the graft in tighter as it stretches slightly as it settles and movement is placed on it.

I’m hoping to possible grab a late season weekend or week long trip otherwise I’ll be waiting until late Dec/early Jan for our proposed US/canada road trip. Touch footy I think I might leave till the summer 2014 or winter 2015 comp and I’m hoping to get back into soccer for the 2015 comp as well. It has been a tough year not really being able to do anything other than golf (thankfully it was my back knee and didn’t hinder my game too much)

I have just commenced the hamstring strengthening part of my rehab and I’m thinking of starting to do yoga or Pilates too increase flexibility in me legs to prevent doing it again (super tight everything was what my physio thinks has caused me to do both knees)

Sorry for rambling, I appreciate any feedback smile

Northern Lights - 08 December 2013 10:01 AM

Sorry Becky I thought I had replied to this.

I had my left knee ACL reconstructed 7 years ago so I thought I knew what to expect, however things have changed quite a bit. That was hamstring harvest/graft and it was 4 weeks before they allowed assisted weight bearing prior to that I had to avoid placing any pressure or weight on it. With this one I was up and about (with the aid of crutches for the first 5 or so days) immediately after surgery.

I am 3 weeks post op and my physio has been happy with my progress, he learned that they now screw the graft in tighter as it stretches slightly as it settles and movement is placed on it.

I’m hoping to possible grab a late season weekend or week long trip otherwise I’ll be waiting until late Dec/early Jan for our proposed US/canada road trip. Touch footy I think I might leave till the summer 2014 or winter 2015 comp and I’m hoping to get back into soccer for the 2015 comp as well. It has been a tough year not really being able to do anything other than golf (thankfully it was my back knee and didn’t hinder my game too much)

I have just commenced the hamstring strengthening part of my rehab and I’m thinking of starting to do yoga or Pilates too increase flexibility in me legs to prevent doing it again (super tight everything was what my physio thinks has caused me to do both knees)

Sorry for rambling, I appreciate any feedback smile

And how is it now???

I’ve started surfing and running in prep for our 40 day us snow trip.
Physio is happy with how it has healed just need to do some more overall leg strengthening.

Nice ShaRing..