The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

REVIEW: Theeve TiAX Trucks

After a lengthy and rewarding spell riding Independent Trucks, I recently decided to mix things up and dive into a pair of newly listed Theeve TiAX trucks from the Boardworld store. There has always been a certain buzz floating around these particular Theeve trucks, and a considerable amount of scepticism has been directed towards them over the last few years. Theeve is currently shipping the third version of the TiAX trucks, which you’ll find at the Boardworld store, so I figured it was time to see if they had ironed out the kinks and delivered a truck that was up to the standard I had become accustomed to with Indys. Without any doubt, I was in for a surprise.

Read the full review here.

Quick question,  is it just the Axel that’s titanium or is the body of the truck itself a titanium alloy aswell?

That’s a really good review. Unbiased and honest.
I rode the first generation Theeve trucks and really enjoyed them, they felt solid and turned good. With the new ones being a bit stiff at the beginning. I am wondering if it has anything to do with the bottom washer being on, as Bones bushings don’t really need the bottom washer. Removing it might allow them to have more rebound space.
Since having Theeve trucks, I have gone onto the Destructo D2 trucks and have been skating them since. I like the way that they feel under my feet.
Originally I too was an Independent truck man, but was seriously disappointed with the Stage 9 series. Especially the fact that the base plates kept breaking and it took them a while to change this. I would be interested in trying the new forged series though and seeing how they go.

trentradpants - 29 July 2014 08:06 PM

Quick question,  is it just the Axel that’s titanium or is the body of the truck itself a titanium alloy aswell?

From the Theeve website.

** “TITANIUM ALLOY BLEND” is a marketing term which is used to denote our Cast Alluminium Alloy. Each Cast hanger (CSX, TIAX & TIKING) carries 0.012% of titanium.

So it looks like a small amount of titanium is in the hanger, but the axle is the main component with Titanium.

C J Parker - 31 July 2014 01:15 AM

From the Theeve website.

** “TITANIUM ALLOY BLEND” is a marketing term which is used to denote our Cast Alluminium Alloy. Each Cast hanger (CSX, TIAX & TIKING) carries 0.012% of titanium.

So it looks like a small amount of titanium is in the hanger, but the axle is the main component with Titanium.

small amount is right!!! Im skeptical as to how that can make a feelable difference to weight at all and why they would bother with it in the hanger, but im no metal-ologist so maybe it does.
Does anyone remember Ti-lites? They had a hollowed out axle to save weight and compared to indy etc at the time were quite a bit lighter.

With the TiAX model, it’s the axle that’s titanium, not the hanger.

Although as CJ mentioned, they use their “titanium blend” elsewhere but that’s negligible.

The real weight saving for this model comes through the axle. Lighter and stronger.

rider26 - 31 July 2014 10:28 AM

With the TiAX model, it’s the axle that’s titanium, not the hanger.

Although as CJ mentioned, they use their “titanium blend” elsewhere but that’s negligible.

The real weight saving for this model comes through the axle. Lighter and stronger.

Yeah i understood that, i was more commenting on why they would even both putting it in the hanger at such a low percentage. Unless they have the machining scraps lying around and to save bin space they chuck it in the alloy melting thingamajig

I have no idea. My best guess would be alloy strength or marketing or both.

rider26 - 31 July 2014 03:43 PM

I’d say marketing must be a part of it…they get to use a fancy term like “titanium alloy blend” which definitely sounds a lot more legit and appealing than simply saying it has less than 0.02% titanium. I’d wager it makes zero difference to the truck itself. The axles are definitely the main perpetrator when it comes to the titanium. TiAX—Titanium Axle (it took me much longer than it should have to figure that out…haha).

Thanks for the positive feedback CJ. Interesting that you’ve moved over to Destructo…I’ve never had a pair and I’d always been told to keep away from them, but recently I’ve noticed a few guys riding them. I’m amazed that so many truck companies can stay alive considering I only ever really see Indy and Thunder out in the wild (Silver, Krux, Destructo, Tensor, Theeve, Venture, Royal, Fury…the market is flooded!)

walker - 01 August 2014 02:16 PM

TiAX—Titanium Axle (it took me much longer than it should have to figure that out…haha).

LOL

trentradpants - 31 July 2014 09:42 AM
C J Parker - 31 July 2014 01:15 AM

From the Theeve website.

small amount is right!!! Im skeptical as to how that can make a feelable difference to weight at all and why they would bother with it in the hanger, but im no metal-ologist so maybe it does.
Does anyone remember Ti-lites? They had a hollowed out axle to save weight and compared to indy etc at the time were quite a bit lighter.

Yes I do and never skated them because they just looked dodgy. The split pin through the hanger into the axle to keep it in place just screamed weak point to me. Although Indy’s had the mad axle slip issue and Thunder hadn’t quite smoothed out their trucks. Venture were the option for light weight trucks.

You can still buy some Titan Ti-Lites on ebay gulp

walker - 01 August 2014 02:16 PM
rider26 - 31 July 2014 03:43 PM

I’d say marketing must be a part of it…they get to use a fancy term like “titanium alloy blend” which definitely sounds a lot more legit and appealing than simply saying it has less than 0.02% titanium. I’d wager it makes zero difference to the truck itself. The axles are definitely the main perpetrator when it comes to the titanium. TiAX—Titanium Axle (it took me much longer than it should have to figure that out…haha).

Thanks for the positive feedback CJ. Interesting that you’ve moved over to Destructo…I’ve never had a pair and I’d always been told to keep away from them, but recently I’ve noticed a few guys riding them. I’m amazed that so many truck companies can stay alive considering I only ever really see Indy and Thunder out in the wild (Silver, Krux, Destructo, Tensor, Theeve, Venture, Royal, Fury…the market is flooded!)

Yeah the market is well crowded these days, but as the saying goes “horses for courses”.
I have skated Indy, Ace, Venture, Royal, Thunder, Theeve and Destructo D1 and D2. A reason for most of that was to have the product knowledge as I worked in a store and wanted to have an honest opinion of the trucks. The Destructo D2 have been a dream to skate for me, but the other thing is I don’t skate ledges that much anymore, so grinding isn’t an issue. Big improvement on the original trucks although they still did well. The originals were like a mix between Indys and Thunder. Big kingpin clearance though.
Still wouldn’t mind trying Krux, Fury and the new Paris street trucks. Just to know what they skate like. Have also been thinking about having a set of Venture again, no idea why but just feel like it.

I always wanted to try out some Royals but could never find them when I was thinking of changing it up. I’m a Venture man, always been a Venture man and I’ll continue to be a Venture man :D

I had some Destructo for around a month and hated them so heavy.