The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Re grip your Deck or not?

I was just wondering If anyone bothers to re grip their Deck when the grip wears out?
or is it just worth buying a new deck by the time its worn?
Oooor, do you break your deck before it grip wears out?

I usually hack up my deck or it goes dead before I need new grip. even if it gets dirt, chewy or beer spills, the grip is usually still ok. I just MOB grip and it lasts really well.

Re gripping is just such a pain in the ass, i’d rather just get a fresh deck and use the old one to cut into a cruiser or use as an art canvas

Usually my board breaks before the grip wears completely out. That, or I get new shoes and It doesn’t bother me as much. re-gripping is no fun

I’ve re-gripped decks for customers before. It’s a pain in the ass removing the old grip. It’s easiest just to grip straight over the old one, which works fine by the way.

rider26 - 14 May 2014 02:07 PM

I’ve re-gripped decks for customers before. It’s a pain in the ass removing the old grip. It’s easiest just to grip straight over the old one, which works fine by the way.

I always wear my board out before a re-grip also. It usually looks like crocodile teeth on the ends or just snaps. I never knew that would work because of the dirt, dust and the grit on the grip tape. Good to know! wink

Yep, it works. thumbsup

Pretty much what the other guys said, deck normally dies before the grip goes lol. If you want to re grip it hold a hair dryer over the grip for a few minutes, loosens the glue up and makes it a bit easier to get off.

Yeah I hear you guys.
the thing is I have an old deck thats still reasonably good condition but the grip is done. I dont know if I should bother re grip or just let go of it and move on.

To regrip a deck is annoying. If you want to remove the grip one thing that helps, is using a hair dryer to heat the grip up and remove it. Still sucks though.

Another thing is to maintain the grip tape so it will last longer. Cleaning it with some soapy water and a nail brush, then dap drying it. This will preserve it and help the grip feel good again.