The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

surfboard

would anyone recommend to get a fish so that i can learn on it and have it for longer.

Not really, all depends on what type of “Fish”!!!!!

lanox - 07 April 2014 10:39 AM

would anyone recommend to get a fish so that i can learn on it and have it for longer.

As a general rule nope but as Mizu said it depends on what type of fish. You could buy a huge long, thick and wide fish with heaps of volume but that kind of defeats the purpose of buying a fish.

Get a tried and tested begginners/intermediate setup i.e a mal, minimal, softboard and spend heaps of time in the water (I’d still lean towards a mini-mal if outgrowing it is a concern)

In all honesty if you get to the point where you need to downsize because you’re bored of the current board then that’s a damn good problem to have as it means you’re stoked on surfing!  shaka

drc13 - 07 April 2014 12:13 PM

In all honesty if you get to the point where you need to downsize because you’re bored of the current board then that’s a damn good problem to have as it means you’re stoked on surfing!  shaka

Yeah that’s my philosophy too - if you’ve spent so much time on the beginner board that it’s time to move up, then you’ve had your value from that board and it was a good investment.

get a mini mal, around 7ยด6’’ and with a good bit of rocker in it.

I got a 2nd hand one with a leash and board bag for $300 from Carabine surfboards on the main drag in wollongong. Loads of fun.

It always good to have a large quiver of different boards; a minimal will prove its worth in the long run so start with that.