The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

surfboard

I am in the hunt for a surfboard, don’t know $hit about surfing tried it once was horrible at it so i decided to get better at it.

my specs

78 kg
182cm

rum that is about it.

Get something like a mini-mal/funboard to start out with I reckon (unless you want to go for a full sized mal for some reason)

Something like a 7’6 would be a good place to start.

I’m preferring the lightness of my glass board vs my original epoxy board but it has had it’s fair share of dings/cracks which I didn’t have to worry about as much with epoxy.

Take a look at what sanctum surf has up in the northern beaches. I was impressed with the stuff I saw (considering the price) in their warehouse when I picked up my SUP.

On top of that you’ll need a leash, wax and although it’s still boardies weather now you’ll need some sort of rubber as it cools down.

Prepare to be horrible at it for quite a while it makes snowboarding (or most other sports) feel like a piece of piss imo. Well worth it though it’s an amazing feeling.

the normal advice is to start on a softboard, which is what I bought last summer.  I got a 8’ foamie and I can get up on that pretty reliably.  The guy in the shop said they also run a surf school and 8’ is what they typically give guys my size (about 177cm, 68kg).  You might consider 8’ to 8’6” or even 9’.

Initial thoughts:

Get a second hand mini mal or a larger foamie. Neither will break the bank but will be very good to learn on during these early stages.

I think something like this would suit you well, and also it’s not too big so there’s room for progression:

https://www.boardworld.com.au/surf-shop/softboards/elnino-cruiser-7-6-softboard-white-green

Importantly, with the foam board you can also surf anywhere on the beach, including between the flags, so you are out of danger of other surfers while you learn the rules and basics.

*talk to me if you’re interested and we can arrange a special price.

I reckon it all depends on how much time ya really gonna see yaself putting into it!!!!!

As per why the soft top was ideal for Mud was that his main use will be when he makes the time to go for a bash with the offspring!!!!!

As why Dave went with a glass board, is he has no sucklings to worry about, and therefore can get a lot more time in the drink!!!!!

I’d also recommend you follow what ever path is similar to theirs, once ya certain about commitment!!!!!

After all is said and done, ya wanna do it for fun, and the right board will help ya get there a lot easier!!!!! *Note that Surfing is not an easy sport to learn!!!!!

* Oh, and don’t worry about a soft board bein a dorky look either, as there are countless really good surfers that actually ride them often, and some on a daily basis, and in big swells too!!!!!

Oh, and Dave or Mud, feel free to correct me if I’m wrong in the post above!!!!!

But only that post okay, none others!!!!!

yeah Miz, you’re mostly right about my reasoning, although my “learn to surf” book also recommends a foamie to start on for any new surfer.  The idea is that it won’t obliterate you or others when you fall on it, when it comes over the falls and lands on your scone, or when it pops out from under you and shoots into the back of someone’s head.  I guess if you do a bit of surfing you would grow out of it quite quickly, though.  Pretty much everyone seems to agree on not going too short as you will find it super hard to get up and will lose the stoke quickly.  I was trying to ride my kids’ 6’6” foamie and I could only occasionally get up but on the 8’ I can get up nearly every time.

As why Dave went with a glass board, is he has no sucklings to worry about, and therefore can get a lot more time in the drink!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 02 April 2014 02:21 PM

Oh, and Dave or Mud, feel free to correct me if I’m wrong in the post above!!!!!
But only that post okay, none others!!!!!

It’s going to be a terrible surprise if you’re wrong!

*Note that Surfing is not an easy sport to learn!!!!!

QFT! I generally pick up physical activities/sports pretty quickly but surfing by far has been the hardest sport I’ve had to learn.

The biggest tip is to spend as much time in the water as possible. Living so close to the beach as Miz correctly said a foamie was never on my list and I purchased the mini-mal almost as a “quiver” board planning into the future. I still spent months choosing to swim rather than surf when I got disheartened but I’ve really thrown myself into surfing (and SUP surfing) the past few months and it’s become an integral part of my life. I’m progressing and am happier with my frontside riding my backside riding still sucks.

I suspect I’ll be asking question on what the next board I should get will be showing up here soon as I’ve started “browsing”

my backside riding still sucks

LOL

LOL

ahhh shit!  teacherboy

Practice makes perfect, any volunteers…..  tongue wink

there is Grinder for that mate

While I’m not interested in the backside riding, you can still suck!!!!!

drc13 - 01 April 2014 12:40 PM

On top of that you’ll need a leash, wax and although it’s still boardies weather now you’ll need some sort of rubber as it cools down.

I got plenty rubber dave… ;P

thanks for all the replies rum still to decide i don’t even know how much i will be using it to be hones. i go through this bored phases and just buy $hit and use it for a day or 2 and then get over it lol….

but eh might speak to jezowith

If ya get bored again, ya can buy me some stuff!!!!!

lanox - 04 April 2014 10:12 AM

but eh might speak to jezowith

thumbsup