The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Trucks, Board , Head , Shoulders, Knees & Toes

Hey,

So I was thinking of riding a wider board as I am an adult and feel like I’m crushing every thing I own. I have a board size 7.75 and I think my trucks are Venture Superlite 5.0” Hi Skateboard Trucks. They feel really short from the side of the trucks I can’t even see a little bit of axle when riding. I want to try a 8.25 board but go for a low truck, what size truck would be suitable?

Found the guide!

7.6 axle       8.0 axle     8.5 axle
Venture Size:      5.0         5.2       5.8
Board Range (in): 7.4 - 7.875 7.75 - 8.25     8.25 - 8.75

Yo bkrton,

Can I stop you right there. Before you go jumping from a 7.75 to an 8.25 you might want to try some other setups ie. that of some friends that maybe bigger and have low trucks. For all you know you may not like an 8.25 or low trucks for that matter.

Reason why I say this is because that .5 inch differences is quite large in skate terms and you may lose tricks or just plan not be able to skate it the same. Also with lows especially in the Venture range there is a considerable difference between the lows and high in the height and how they turn.

Lows offer a better lower centre of gravity and stability but are rubbish for turning. Other thing is the fact that your board will pop completely different. It will tap down quicker so you will need to adjust heaps there as well.

Highs are more versatile and if you want more stability have some harder bushings.

I hope this helps, if you have some questions shoot them out.

C J Parker - 29 January 2014 09:30 PM

Yo bkrton,

Can I stop you right there. Before you go jumping from a 7.75 to an 8.25 you might want to try some other setups ie. that of some friends that maybe bigger and have low trucks. For all you know you may not like an 8.25 or low trucks for that matter.

Reason why I say this is because that .5 inch differences is quite large in skate terms and you may lose tricks or just plan not be able to skate it the same. Also with lows especially in the Venture range there is a considerable difference between the lows and high in the height and how they turn.

Lows offer a better lower centre of gravity and stability but are rubbish for turning. Other thing is the fact that your board will pop completely different. It will tap down quicker so you will need to adjust heaps there as well.

Highs are more versatile and if you want more stability have some harder bushings.

I hope this helps, if you have some questions shoot them out.

Sorry for the alarm CJ raspberry Sounded like I was going to rush out right there and pick them up. I would have to check it out in store either way before I made the purchase but my riding is fairly loose atm since I’m not 14 any more and weigh more. Ill ride my board out but I went from 7.5 to a 7.75 and I would like some thing wider. I rode a 10” old skool whale tale style board just for kicks and it was fun. I might try and pick up some second hand trucks and even a bargain board to try it out before I commit to the new gear.

Might roll with the highs and a wider board first.

Hey bkrtron,

Try an 8” board first I reckon that will be a good start and you might like it. It is definitely a strong favourite in terms of size. You won’t need to change trucks straight away at least so you can then have a feel and if need be make your mind up after that.