The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

GoPro Surfboard Mounts and Softboards

Anyone know if you can attach a stick-on GoPro surfboard mount to a softboard and be able to get it off later?

I reckon you’d be able to get it off but doubt you’d be able to use it again after that?

Yeah don’t care about losing the mount, just don’t want to damage the board.  I know you can remove the mounts using a hot hair-dryer, but not sure if that would damage the board?

I reckon there’s a good chance that it will take some of the board with it!!!!!

And yeah, heat is no good for any surf equipment!!!!!

I would punch a body board leash plug through it, then stick the mount to that!!!!!

That way you can also tether the camera if you leave a string attached to the plug before you stick the mount on!!!!!

* Use some Spongerez to seal the leash plug!!!!!

Ohh, and remember not to punch/drill through the stringer (if it has one) that is usually centre of board!!!!! (Some May have double, so if you mount it one plug width off center you should be sweet!!!!! Another way to locate a stringer is to hold the board up to a bright light and you can sometimes see the shadow of the stringer through the base!!!!!

Hm not really wanting to punch a hole in my board.  Think I’ll leave it, but thanks for the advice!

What mizu said. shaka

But you can remove the stick on mount using other methods (knife, cleaning agent and elbow grease).

I did see a grom with a gopro stick-on mount on his foamie, so I guess it works although I reckon having a bit of hard plastic on the front of your softboard kind of defeats the purpose!

Maybe some form of clamping mount might work although I’ve never seen one.  That and having the floating adapter to the gopro and you should be reasonably safe!

The best, small clamping mount is Flymount
I’ve never had one/sold one but am pretty sure they accepted me as a dealer.

Even though they are pricey they are meant to be the bomb. $127

And they also have this product; designed for wakeboards it could be adapted for a softbaord. $40