The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Critique my riding

It’s not just about toe drag though, it’s about being able to have even pressure over both your edges.

You can feel it for yourself. Try sliding your bindings forwards towards the toe edge and you will see what a huge effect it has. It’s feels like you are a beginner every time you turn onto the heel edge.

That’s what you are doing to yourself if you give yourself uneven overhang.
One edge will have more control than the other, just for the sake of having a stance that’s 1cm wider.

If you turn the disks sideways and your overhang is fairly even, that’s fine.
But if you have a bit more toe than heel (or vice versa) it’s just not worth it bro.

I guess another way to look at it is also the size of the adjustments.

Your stance is easily the largest adjustment you can make.
Your Bindings Lateral position (movement towards the toe or heel edge) is the smallest.

To me, that’s another reason why you would want finer adjustment laterally rather than stance width.

*NOTE* For anyone playing at home, who is a little too picky to deal with choosing one adjustment or the other. Buy Burton EST Bindings. Then your can adjust both smile
I must admit, I like having the ability to do both.

Yeah Bro!!!!!!

Here’s a quick clip of me trying to eurocarve. I can’t stand up and continue on to heelside, I think it’s because I finish the turn all the way up hill.

Andy Aitken - 19 December 2013 12:18 PM

It’s not just about toe drag though, it’s about being able to have even pressure over both your edges.

You can feel it for yourself. Try sliding your bindings forwards towards the toe edge and you will see what a huge effect it has. It’s feels like you are a beginner every time you turn onto the heel edge.

That’s what you are doing to yourself if you give yourself uneven overhang.
One edge will have more control than the other, just for the sake of having a stance that’s 1cm wider.

If you turn the disks sideways and your overhang is fairly even, that’s fine.
But if you have a bit more toe than heel (or vice versa) it’s just not worth it bro.

I had a mate who was so concerned with having a XX width stance a coupe of years ago. I tried explaining to him thats not that important, its toe/heel overhang etc. and just have whatever width feels comfortable. He only went off that width due to “Its what width TRice rides”. He constanty had sore legs, had to rest every couple of hours etc.

He finally let me adjust his bindings to what i had mine set at and what do you know, no more sore legs. Some people wont listen! (This isn’t aimed at you Skip)

I wouldn’t even know the actual width of my stance!!!!!

Same, and i couldnt care less. As long as it feels right and im comfortable i’m golden. All i know is my outside screws on my centre disc are 1 hole from the end.

Yeah, I just put my stance at 21 inches now. I think I always start off the season a bit narrower but for some reason went a bit wider as the season goes on.

Here’s a more recent clip. Fast forward to 5:40. Any advice would be appreciated. The snow wasn’t the best and I’m pretty sure this was towards the end of the day, so I’m was a bit tired.

to me your carving looks good, but that stability filter makes me want to punch my screen!!

Thanks. I have no idea what stability filter is. My friend actually edited this.

Yeh I dont have a clue on the witdh, I just know the inner screw on each binding is one out from the center of the board, (having a twin tip,I ride a cantered stance) and that’s just what felt right when,I stood on the board.. And being a short ass means I have a smaller stance lol