The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Firewire Sweet Potato

Hey guys i was just wondering if the firewire sweet potato was a board that is worth buying. It looks like a very fun board to ride especially in small surf which is most of the time in manly. Ive been looking everywhere for about a month to buy a second hand 5’2 as buying brand new seems relatively expensive. If anyone has one (You could sell it to me cheese ) or has ridden one, is it worth buying brand new for $785 or should i just keep searching. If there is any other board that is similar to the shape and/or feel of the sweet potato please share it with me. Thanks heaps grin

Saw these up in the Volcom Store at Kirra!!!!!

Maybe they have a second hand one floatin around?????

They do look like they would be fun in fat beachies!!!!!

I’ve ridden my mates. Absolutely kills it. Its SO quick so you can scoot around the mush where need be and you can compete with the mals for the small peelers out the back. It gets a bit squirley when the swells 4ft or more as is to be expected. I tried to find a second hand one all last summer with no luck.

killer board if you find one.

Mate your in Manly, have a scoot up to Warriewood and have a squiz at Sanctum Surf, they have a website as well but they have a heap of boards in stock and all for usually around $400 brand new.  A lot of them are summer style boards as well, a mate just picked up a 6’6” with 47L of volume as a summer board.

The Firewires are decent boards, personally I’d like the Mini Driver but kinda baulk a bit at paying $1000 or near as makes no difference for a board.  They don’t seem to have too many second handers either.

Hey guys I’m definitely going to get one but i was thinking 5’2 would be a bit big and if i should go for a 4’10 or a 5’0 as im 178cm/5’10 and weigh 64kg. Thanks for the feedback.

harryw - 13 October 2013 11:47 AM

Hey guys I’m definitely going to get one but i was thinking 5’2 would be a bit big and if i should go for a 4’10 or a 5’0 as im 178cm/5’10 and weigh 64kg. Thanks for the feedback.

thats pretty short! i’m about the same height as you mayb a couple kgs heavier and i rode my mates 5’4 and i felt it was perfect. obviously you can go shorter with these due to the shape and volume but yeah just be careful you don’t go too short. There was a guy in bondi selling one ages ago because it was 5’2 and he was taller than me but it was pretty scrappy condition and he wanted way too much for it.

One thing became abundantly clear yesterday, don’t buy a rapidfire version of anything, it appears they snap very easily.  A Mates Dominator both snapped and creased yesterday on a 3ft wave with a bit of grunt.  He took it in to get it repaired and the bloke there told him he gets a lot of Rapidires with the same thing, snapping quite easily.

Thnx for the heads up smile  thumbsup