The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

My new board!!!

Well, I may have splurged a little. But I got such a good deal on this Mini-mal, I couldn’t say no.

I’ve got a 6’8 superfish, but given that I’m kind of a novice level surfer, I surf mostly in smaller swell. So I’ve been thinking having a minimal would be more useful for most of the days I surf. Plus my gf is coming down for a week of surfing before we go overseas, so having 2 boards will be great.

Check it out: 8 Foot Honu Mini-Mal

nice! has it got much rocker in it?

I reckon you’ll have heaps of fun on it!

Yeah it’s got a bit, not sure how much exactly but I’m thinking it’s going to float WAY easier than my little superfish. It’s epoxy too which will be interesting to ride and see the difference between that and my other board.

So yeah I’m looking forward to trying it out and learning the difference between them. I’m glad to have 2 boards now too cause it means I can take any friends out that want to have a go at surfing but don’t have boards.

Nice!!!!! shaka

Just keep in mind that turn initiation etc, you’ll have to slow it down cause your on a bigger, wider beast!!!!! And it’ll need more body weight, lean, and pressure to manuever the bigger plank into submission!!!!!

We are still talking about a surf board right??

You can apply the same technique wherever ya want to, mate!!!!! LOL

Is it actually a wooden board?

Epoxy does have a different feel especially in foam boards because polystyrene(epoxy) is more buoyant than polyurethane(fibreglass). Also epoxy has more flex - at high speed, hard turns you can feel the board bending were as fibreglass is more rigid.
Epoxy is great for repairs because you just need a tube of 2 part from the hardware store. But it holds water and rots quicker if water gets through.

Mizu Kuma - 22 October 2013 02:12 PM

Nice!!!!! shaka

Just keep in mind that turn initiation etc, you’ll have to slow it down cause your on a bigger, wider beast!!!!! And it’ll need more body weight, lean, and pressure to manuever the bigger plank into submission!!!!!

He has to learn to turn first. LOL

spaz - 24 October 2013 07:43 AM

Is it actually a wooden board?

Epoxy does have a different feel especially in foam boards because polystyrene(epoxy) is more buoyant than polyurethane(fibreglass). Also epoxy has more flex - at high speed, hard turns you can feel the board bending were as fibreglass is more rigid.
Epoxy is great for repairs because you just need a tube of 2 part from the hardware store. But it holds water and rots quicker if water gets through.

Some Epoxy boards use a Beaded Closed Cell Foam, and some don’t!!!!!

My money will be on Andy’s bein susseptable to waterloggin cause I’m guessin it will be a cheaper blank used!!!!!

I’d go to the surf shop and get some UV Cure Epoxy to save muckin around with anythin else!!!!!

But I would definitely leave it out of the water to dry for a while before repairing any damage!!!!!

spaz - 24 October 2013 07:59 AM
Mizu Kuma - 22 October 2013 02:12 PM

Nice!!!!! shaka

He has to learn to turn first. LOL

Andy’s already got somewhat of a “feel” for his fish in the white water, so I was just givin him the heads up on what the new board will need in regards to his current progression!!!!!