The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

FCS II Fin System

Interesting new development with the old FCS fin system, no more tools required, it actually looks pretty good.  Will be interesting to see how quickly the board manufacturers take this up.  Very nice of FCS to make it backwards compatible as well especially considering the amount of coin some people have invested in their fins over the course of a few years.

This looks pretty good. I knew they were working on something as their old patent was expiring. Looks like they decided to step up their game and build a seemingly better system. It’s good the new system fits the old fins, but I wonder how long that will last? No one would have converted over to the new system if it wasn’t backwards compatible, but at the same time, it allows their old system which can now be copied by other manufacturers, to work with the FCS II system. I suspect they will eventually look to prevent compatibility between their old fins and the new system system.

Channel Islands has partnered up with Futures Fins, and I’ve heard through the grapevine that a lot of surfers/shapers are pulling the plug on FCS. Kelly Slater is no longer sponsored by FCS either. I have also heard a rumour that Burton Snowboards (who owns Channel Islands) is possibly looking to acquire Futures Fins. I not sure how true that is or what will eventuate.

Yeah I agree, them makin it Backward Compatible was a smart move!!!!!

IMO Futures are the better system, I’ve never had a Future fin rip out plugs and all whereas I have had a fair few issues with FCS over the years.  With that said they have become a lot more like FCS in the plug dept, moving away from two separate and into one plug is a good move.  I would snap one plug out and break the tab on the other when I would bugger tham and it was a case of nothing really worked the way it should with the worst possible outcome, buggered board and useless fin.  It’s sposed to be rooted fin but board left with tabs in plugs after they break.

There were a lot of Contract Glassers that didn’t mount the FCS Plugs all the way through to the Deck Glass, so that may have explained those things from happening?????

You could always tell when they were set properly cause they had the ugly white circles easily visible on the deck!!!!! Hence why FCS made those Stickers to cover them up!!!!!

I used to see a heap of boards that weren’t done properly!!!!!

Talk about timing, today for the first time ever I lost a fin that snapped both tabs with no board damage. NFI how it happened either, might be time to get some decent quad fins.