The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Thunder or Indy trucks?

As much as i would like to support the local scene i have been given an online CCS voucher and i don’t want to waste the money.

I can’t decide on trucks for my new setup.

Either Independent 139 stage 11 or Thunder 147 Hi. What are the pros and cons of each truck. Both are the same price so it is just which is better.

I’m also unsure on getting colored trucks as i don’t know how good they’ll look on a setup, any opinions on this

Hey mate,

Indy’s and Thunders are both top of the line when it comes to quality. So its not really a matter of what you prefer the ride of. See if you have any mates or ask someone at your local skatepark to roll on their board.

The main difference is the way they feel when they turn. Its quite hard to explain. Some of my mates swear by Thunder say they turn better, some (including me) say Indys do. Just comes down to which feel you prefer.
If I try to explain it, i feel like thunders feel like a plankin balancing on a point. like a seesaw.
Indys i feel are a bit more cushy, with equal pressure through out the turn and tip. Also depends what rubbers u put in for responsiveness too.

Indys grind better ( I find, again its all personal preferance).

What size board will you be riding? that will be the determining factor between choosing 139 or 147.

I personally dont like painted trucks. Performance wise they paint may be a bit stickier than polished look. Thunders shouldnt be a problem. Its more with cheaper trucks they use thicker softer paint.

Hope this helps. It all comes to preference so just give one a go. and next time maybe try the other. see what you like better.

Also, check out the Boardworld store. I know it is appealing to go cheaper from overseas.

Thought of using the voucher on something like clothing you cannot get here, and buy gear local so it can be replaced if something goes wrong?

Independent.
I find that the hangers/axles sit a bit higher than the Thunders do, allowing you to skate slightly bigger wheels. The other advantage is that you will likely have less wheel bite.
In terms of the turning, they tend to tilt better than the Thunders. I think this comes down to the shape and geometry of the hangers. It seems that mostly transition/vert and bowl skaters use them.

Thunder.
The hangers/axles tend to be a bit lower on these, but because of this they are more stable. They don’t turn as well from the start, but once you have a lean on they work great. Downside is the fact that you end up with wheel bite a lot easier. They seem to be preferred by street skater.

One thing that can always change the performance of your trucks is bushings, they can make them turn or more stable.

In terms of colours or polished trucks, go with the polished trucks/raw trucks.

I agree with K2 though spend it on something that you can’t get in OZ. If you have a problem with your trucks, suppliers in OZ won’t touch them if they are bought overseas.

I’ve decided my trucks are OK so i might stick with them and get some risers to prevent wheel bight as they may be a bit low and use the ccs voucher on shoes. 

This being said I’ve got the money for the setup from ccs as the voucher wasn’t much and i might go to Fast times and get some new wheels probably Ricta speed rings and some quality bearings. What bearings do you guys recommend.

Bones swiss look like a good bet as almost all skaters swear by bones but i’m not sure if this is from okay bearings and great advertising or from the best product for your money.

And how about ceramic bearings? I skate a bit of everything just recently starting to get into transition a bit more.

Bones make some great bearings, from the Reds to the Ceramics. I have had some of the Reds, Super Reds and Swiss Super 6 bearings. I was happy with all of them.

If you are planning on skating a bit of everything, get a set of the Super Reds or Swiss. If the plan is to mainly stick to transition/vert and bowl go with the Ceramics, they tolerate the heat that builds up from constant rolling better.

Let us know how you go with the Ricta Speed Rings be interested to hear some feed back on them.

Yeah i was planning on getting the super swiss 6. I found a post on the web by the guy who does RocknRons and he said they were the best other than his you can’t find anywhere.

I’ve also heard good things of the speed rings. Ill try do a review of them even though i can only compare them to the generic wheels that come with completes.

Yeah the Super 6 are good stuff. Those RocknRons look interesting, as it is pretty much the same principle as what the Bones bearings. No abec rating just a purpose built bearing for skating.