The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Bali

From memory Spaz it wasn’t heaps but it wasn’t cheap either, you picked out a few photos and it was like a dollar or so per pic that you wanted.  The more you got the cheaper it was, if you only wanted one pic it woulda been about $10 to make it worth their while, they havta pay for their gear somehow and their gear to my eye was all pretty decent, Canon 50d’s and I think I saw a 7D there as well.

Sick shots nth!! I was in the Mentawais and Macaronis back in late 2010… Defiantly keen to do another indo mission soon! The waves you guys had look SUPER FUN! Even if it wasnt that big.

Lombok could be on the cards.. Watch this space wink

Only just seen this, looked hella fun mate! Next time i go back im def taking my board with me

Surferguy I did Ments in ’04 and north Sumatra in ’05.  Mates of mine have been back a few times since and had good waves but according to them the general vibe of the place has changed a lot.  Apparently they had locals paddling out to the boat wanting money from them just to surf there and other ugly shit like that, makes me think twice about going back.  If I was to go back I would seriously consider the off season like about now or just pre Xmas time to try to avoid the crowd situation.  Other than that I have been looking into other areas of interest like Samoa, PNG, Cocos Islands and maybe Maldives as I can get on a boat there for a decent price through mates. 

Not sure that Bali is super high on my list to go back to, I get really tired of being looked at as a walking wallet and the locals sole interest in me being divorcing me from my cash, gets really old really quick.  If I go back I will do it in some resort where I only ever have to leave to go surfing so I can avoid the hassles ha ha ha!

Deano I kinda can’t believe you didn’t take a board at all, I feel weird travelling anywhere without a board of some description!

Hey guys, heading to bali & lombok late July this year, first surf trip ever.

Wondering if it’s worth taking more than one board?  I’m currently getting a FE alien shaped that I intend on taking as a one board quiver perhaps.  Should I be taking a backup board? I’ll only be heading out in under 6ft conditions I think at my level!

One board would do ya. This coming from a guy who takes 3. You can always buy boards if travellers if needed. I picked up a near new warner twinnie once for $100. Take a board that can handle 6 ft and be manageable in small. I ride long in indo so my quiver is 64 68 70. If I was takin 1 it would be 68.
NBG have u been to Samoa before? Funky waves. Every beach there is a local demanding $ off u just to visit. I parked onthe main road near a beach and hung out ffor a few hrs and this dude wouldnt let me go without a 10 tala fine.
I stayed with locals in their houses/falay which was great and every time I went ti Apia they made me dress Samoan so I would look local. Hahaha. Im pretty white.
I de-flowered their daughter tho so I was never game to go back as she was due for an arranged marriage. Haha

deebs - 20 June 2013 03:51 PM

I de-flowered their daughter tho so I was never game to go back as she was due for an arranged marriage. Haha

Bahaahahahahahahahahahha!!! Excellent.

Hahahahaha brave man!

Ah k cool well the board i’m getting shaped is a 6’0 so might have to take my 6’4 also.  I don’t have anything semi gun like!

I go to indo to get barrelled so my boards are for that. So if the 64 is a good tube rider take it for sure.
The funny part about the samoan chic is I met Alice from Sweden and we travelled to Savaii together after the De flowering and got hot n heavy. When I got back to apulu the samoan chic whatever her name was got wind of it. I got a bit skitzy but she said ’ its ok i was only using you for practice for when I marry whosy whatsits’. Thats when I found out about marriage arrangement. So I was used and dumped just like that! Practice! Glad to help out the less fortunate with my talents. Hahaha
Anyone got a sister who needs practice?

Hey guys,
I might head to Bali in the beginning of November… As I understand from this thread, Kuta Beach sucks..
So where should i go?

-I’m 28 (but 24-25 at heart)
-Traveling alone (would want to stay at a nice backpacker for that reason)
-Beginner level surfer, would like to have some instruction
-Want to hang out with fun people and have some drinks for sure.

Henrik - 30 August 2013 02:10 PM

Hey guys,
I might head to Bali in the beginning of November… As I understand from this thread, Kuta Beach sucks..
So where should i go?

Also.. I plan to stay there about 7-9 days.. maybe i should go two places??

Henrik - 30 August 2013 02:17 PM

Hey guys,
So where should i go?

Yo henrick! Bali bali bali bagoose!! (indonesian for good) haha! Welcome to BW mate!

Firstly your 100% right, Kuta does suck. Its full blown touristy with black sand beaches and street hecklers left right and centre! But from what you’re saying it sounds like Kuta and Legian are exactly what you need! It can get pretty mellow surf wise (and can also get pretty heavy) along with a great party scene and a lot of fellow travellers, everyones down for a good time in Kuta. Just dont do a Shapelle Corby on us wink

Alternatively you could head to Nusa Dua area down the south part of the island which is more surf, less hustle and bustle with a pretty relaxed vibe. Also Lombok is great! Its another small island off of bali and boats some pretty cool breaks and just a short ferry ride from the Bali itself.

Im gathering this is your first trip to bali? If so maybe what i said about Kuta is just what you need.  My first trip to indo was to kuta. I had no regrats of going there. Every aussie has to experience it at least once. Theres a whole lot of options once you land in Dempisar. Don’t think of it once your in Kuta your stuck there. Maybe do a few days there then jump in a “beamo” and take the road less travelled.

Maybe NBG can shed some more light on the subject…. wink

Happy travels hombre!  shaka

surferguy56 - 30 August 2013 03:33 PM
Henrik - 30 August 2013 02:17 PM

Hey guys,
So where should i go?

Yo henrick! Bali bali bali bagoose!! (indonesian for good) haha! Welcome to BW mate!

Firstly your 100% right, Kuta does suck. Its full blown touristy with black sand beaches and street hecklers left right and centre! But from what you’re saying it sounds like Kuta and Legian are exactly what you need! It can get pretty mellow surf wise (and can also get pretty heavy) along with a great party scene and a lot of fellow travellers, everyones down for a good time in Kuta. Just dont do a Shapelle Corby on us wink

Alternatively you could head to Nusa Dua area down the south part of the island which is more surf, less hustle and bustle with a pretty relaxed vibe. Also Lombok is great! Its another small island off of bali and boats some pretty cool breaks and just a short ferry ride from the Bali itself.

Im gathering this is your first trip to bali? If so maybe what i said about Kuta is just what you need.  My first trip to indo was to kuta. I had no regrats of going there. Every aussie has to experience it at least once. Theres a whole lot of options once you land in Dempisar. Don’t think of it once your in Kuta your stuck there. Maybe do a few days there then jump in a “beamo” and take the road less travelled.

Maybe NBG can shed some more light on the subject…. wink

Happy travels hombre!  shaka

Thanks mate! I’m Norwegian though, living in NZ at the moment. The way I get you is that Kuta is a shithole, but it’s a good shithole for solo travellers. The other places might be a bit too quiet??

I’m also looking at Hawaii.. been there?

Tjena Henrik,

I recommend heading over to the east side of Bali - there is a place called sanur there. It isn’t that far from Kuta and has lots of hostels and cheap hotels.

With 8-9 days I reckon I would spend a few days in Sanur, take the Scoot ferry over to Nusa Lembongan and stay on that island for a few days and then take the scoot ferry again over to Gili Trewangan (another island)...you’ll meet plenty of people and have a good time!