The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Ask your riding questions here!

rider26 - 26 August 2013 08:39 PM

Your back foot should be “weighted” and ready to apply pressure when required, but you shouldn’t ever be “leaning back” when you’re riding pow. Also, riding pow is about generating and maintaining momentum. You need to create energy under your feet, so you can increase float and flow with the terrain.

Your back foot needs to be strong, solid and in a state or readiness. But you shouldn’t be leaning back and you shouldn’t feel like you are constantly tailpressing either.

I think another thing to mention is speed and steepness. This is all true but you need some speed and steep terrain, if you go slow (like I do my first few times riding pow, you’ll find yourself leaning back way too much. I found myself riding more centered in steeper stuff.

Your back foot should be “weighted” and ready to apply pressure when required, but you shouldn’t ever be “leaning back” when you’re riding pow. Also, riding pow is about generating and maintaining momentum. You need to create energy under your feet, so you can increase float and flow with the terrain.

Your back foot needs to be strong, solid and in a state or readiness. But you shouldn’t be leaning back and you shouldn’t feel like you are constantly tailpressing either.

What board are you riding? Size? Stance? What’s your weight? Aussie pow?

Riding a burton seven 159 centred stance 12/12. Weighing in at 92kg. Yeah riding aussie pow but heading to whistler for this season so want to be a bit more aware of how my riding should be..

My take on Pow!!!!! (Quoted from another thread)

Mizu Kuma - 11 July 2013 10:51 AM

Just last feb I came back from Japan ridin the deepest pow I’ve ridden to date, and I kept all of my gear setup no different to what I ride on Aussie Hardpack!!!!!

Havin a Twin, ya will probably find it better with an inch setback, but personally I’d leave it no further setback than that!!!!!

The one true thing that will make riding pow easier is changing ya style to suit!!!!! Instead of havin ya weight evenly balanced and centered on ya board as ya do when ya usin the whole effective edge (from tip to tail) on hardpack snow/ice, I found that bein conscious of havin ya weight shifted to the back, and therefore riding the tail and using its edge to steer is the key!!!!!

I wish that I was ridin pow now, it’s such a buzz when it all clicks, so just relax and it’ll come to ya, just don’t fight it and really try to flow with it more than takin an aggressive attack at it!!!!!

Made me watch my last pow vid, so I thought I’d put it here for others to watch if they want as well?????

Wilmshurst - 27 August 2013 08:08 AM

What board are you riding? Size? Stance? What’s your weight? Aussie pow?

Riding a burton seven 159 centred stance 12/12. Weighing in at 92kg. Yeah riding aussie pow but heading to whistler for this season so want to be a bit more aware of how my riding should be..

Unless that Burton Seven is from like 10 years ago, it has an extruded base. Back then, it had a sintered progression base (which they don’t make anymore - it was sick!) and it was the boss freestyle board on the market. They eventually downgraded the model when they introduced the UnInc line, which is why it ended up with an extruded base.

Personally, I would never ride an extruded base in powder; it’s just not suited as a pow board. Extruded bases are fine in the park and on groomers, but fresh/wet snow and powder is where you will really be disadvantaged. In these conditions, it reduces your speed but especially your momentum (i.e. you will lose speed a lot quicker). The Seven also has a full camber profile (and a twin shape), which definitely won’t make riding powder easier for you.

If funds allow, you might want to look into a second board for Whistler. You could probably grab a sweet deal in town prior to the start of the season (on sale boards from previous season). You have your Seven for park and whatever else, I would look at something with some sort of rocker in the profile, maybe up the size slightly, and definitely make sure it has a sintered base. You will want something that can rip big mountain pow. An relatively small investment to ensure you will be in heaven on those deep Whistler powder days!

While technique may have come into it, I think the combination of an extruded base, relatively wet Aussie pow, and the full camber profile were making things a bit more difficult for you. I can understand why you felt the need to lean back.

Yeah following people in pow I did notice how slow it was..

Looking at getting a proper pow board but only if funds allow.

Cheers for the info smile

While I have that edit in here, I may as well get any feedback/observations on my “style” and “technique”!!!!!

But be gentle on me as I’m not 20 anymore!!!!! mizu

Maybe this vid is better to rip on?????

Are you trying to torture me with all that pow footage? wall

You’re ripping, Mizu. No noticeable technique flaws in that video. thumbsup

Of course there are always things you can do to increase performance however, i.e. getting more aggressive with your steering by driving your front knee and hip more. But your style seems really fluid in the pow, so I’m just nitpicking.

Can ya explain the driving with front knee & hip a bit more?????

Your shoulder seems to droop a bit while riding. Have you dislocated it in the past?

LOL Shut up you idiot!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 27 August 2013 07:59 PM

You actively need to steer your board with your leading hip, knee (and feet). The driving force comes from your hip and knee. Imagine you’re snowboarding in the dark, and you have a headlight coming out the side of your leading hip. You need to point that hip in the direction you want to go, so you can see where you’re going. You need to drive your hip (and knee) into the desired path of travel. When riding powder, we can tend to pivot from the back foot, as that’s where our weight is. But doing this can limit your response and edge-to-edge quickness. By actively steering the board with your lower joints, you will increase your response and control.

K2_TeacherBoy - 27 August 2013 08:18 PM

Your shoulder seems to droop a bit while riding. Have you dislocated it in the past?

Click here.

rider26 - 27 August 2013 08:49 PM

You actively need to steer your board with your leading hip, knee (and feet). The driving force comes from your hip and knee. Imagine you’re snowboarding in the dark, and you have a headlight coming out the side of your leading hip. You need to point that hip in the direction you want to go, so you can see where you’re going. You need to drive your hip (and knee) into the desired path of travel. When riding powder, we can tend to pivot from the back foot, as that’s where our weight is. But doing this can limit your response and edge-to-edge quickness. By actively steering the board with your lower joints, you will increase your response and control.

So more a combination of both hip/knee and pivoting on the back foot in equal parts, or more focused on the hip/knee?????

K2_TeacherBoy - 27 August 2013 08:18 PM

Click here.

More like This!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 27 August 2013 08:56 PM

So more a combination of both hip/knee and pivoting on the back foot in equal parts, or more focused on the hip/knee?????

The way im picturing it is kinda like surfing