The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

“How to Surf” - Episodes 1 & 2

“HOW TO SURF” SERIES PRESENTED BY BOARDWORLD

We are proud to present the Boardworld “How to Surf” series featuring Jayce Robinson.

This series will cover eight surfing lessons. The first two lessons cover:

<li>Picking a surfboard</li>
<li>Wetsuits and accessories</li>
Please feel free to ask any questions about the videos in this thread.

HOW TO SURF - LESSON ONE: SURFBOARDS

HOW TO SURF - LESSON TWO: WETSUITS & ACCESSORIES

More coming soon.

reserved

reserved

reserved

shaka  shaka  shaka  shaka  shaka  shaka  shaka  shaka  shaka  shaka  shaka  shaka

I’ll watch and comment later in the week.

Great to see this has finally happened!

Now that I’ve fallen back in love with surfing I’m hoping this helps to kick of the surf side of BW.  shaka

Nice! Watched those to eps yesterday. shaka

Awesome! thanks for this, looking forward to the Surfing ones.

Im really keen to pick up surfing this summer smile

Looks like the goods!! Get the newbies and grommies frothin!!!

I’m really keen for these. I’m about as rookie as it gets when it comes to surfing.
Definitely down to learn as much as I can. I’m going to try and get a few days in the water after the snow season and then a few days in Hawaii with the gf on the way to Canada!

“Choosing a Board” recommends a mini mal or malibu, are these like general length or do you still need to look for one specific to your height?

SnowDragon - 05 October 2014 11:47 AM

“Choosing a Board” recommends a mini mal or malibu, are these like general length or do you still need to look for one specific to your height?

There are size variations (length/thickness/width) within these general “shape” categories. Like a snowboard I would say your weight has more to do with it than your height.

The bigger/more volume the board has the floatier it will be, making things like paddling and balancing easier but you may sacrifice overall maneuverability.

drc13 - 07 October 2014 10:36 AM

There are size variations (length/thickness/width) within these general “shape” categories. Like a snowboard I would say your weight has more to do with it than your height.

The bigger/more volume the board has the floatier it will be, making things like paddling and balancing easier but you may sacrifice overall maneuverability.

This actually makes a lot of sense!  Thanks mate!!

Only just saw this!!!!!

Yeah, Dave is 100% correctomundo!!!!!

Volume is more important than length, along with a few other factors such as rocker/tail/nose and where this volume is concentrated!!!!!

Best to do the rounds of a few board shops/shapers, then you’ll get an idea of what will suit you best!!!!!

When talkin to the shops/shapers, be as honest as you can in regards to your current ability, and what/where you’re likely to be usin the board!!!!!

I reckon gettin a massive Mal can sometimes be a real overkill, especially for someone that already has some concept of board riding!!!!!